2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Made The Move To A Softail....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 08:52 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 599 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats on that StreetBob OP. I to had a few touring bikes. Then the LRST came out my prayers where answered! A fixed fairing bike and hard locking saddle bags and a little over 100lbs less! Plus a way better suspension and a healthy 117. I found my long term bike. My old knees and back have never been so happy!

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:17 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts

I thought the same thing when the LRST was revealed the 26 of January 2022, so I went to my dealership and ordered one in black, because I don't like the grey one (I prefere the white sand pearl of this year) but the salesman couldn't give me a date of delivery, so I waited a few months and during this time, I started to vew some pics and vidéo of this model on YouTube, and as time went on, I found several things I didn't like:
first the saddlebags that are attached too high, I find that unattractive, they should have done as on the Sport Glide, with a two into one (that the second thing) which would have allowed to fix them at the same place and which is logical for a "sport bike", third thing, the gauge, they should have mounted the one of the new LRS which I find more practical, more visible and more aesthetic and fourth thing, the mid controls, it would have been better with the forwards controls for my mong legs...
so after three months and with summer approaching, as they were still unable to give me a delivery date, I cancelled my order.
But apart from that I find the concept of this bike very interesting, a light touring bike without the Boom box that doesn't interest me for 10000$ cheaper than the big ones...
To day I am riding a 107 Heritage wich is also a Touring bike and I am very happy with it, the pleasure of riding a light nimble bike with a classic old school look...

Last edited by Big Al 59; 02-28-2023 at 02:21 AM.
Old New Rider (03-01-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 11:06 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,841 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I thought the same thing when the LRST was revealed the 26 of January 2022, so I went to my dealership and ordered one in black, because I don't like the grey one (I prefere the white sand pearl of this year) but the salesman couldn't give me a date of delivery, so I waited a few months and during this time, I started to vew some pics and vidéo of this model on YouTube, and as time went on, I found several things I didn't like:
first the saddlebags that are attached too high, I find that unattractive, they should have done as on the Sport Glide, with a two into one (that the second thing) which would have allowed to fix them at the same place and which is logical for a "sport bike", third thing, the gauge, they should have mounted the one of the new LRS which I find more practical, more visible and more aesthetic and fourth thing, the mid controls, it would have been better with the forwards controls for my mong legs...
so after three months and with summer approaching, as they were still unable to give me a delivery date, I cancelled my order.
But apart from that I find the concept of this bike very interesting, a light touring bike without the Boom box that doesn't interest me for 10000$ cheaper than the big ones...
To day I am riding a 107 Heritage wich is also a Touring bike and I am very happy with it, the pleasure of riding a light nimble bike with a classic old school look...
As someone coming off Big KTM Adventure bikes my first two Harleys are my 2020 Fat Bob and my 2022 Low Rider ST. I test road the Road King and Street Glide, but both just seemed to big for the day riding I do. At 5'8" I wanted something with a low seat height with tons of torque. I test road the Street Bob 114 and was very close to getting it. By chance I saw a guy on a 2018 White Fat Bob and chatted him up. Went back to HD to test ride on the Fat Bob, I was sold.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the M8 Softails. Street Bob, Fat Bob, Heritage, Fat Boy all great ride.

@Big Al 59 I was like you on the ST. Read every article and watched every video on the bike. I wanted something with better wind protection then my Fat Bob so pulled the trigger on the ST. I gotta say I'm in the minority as the bike has fully clicked with me. I'm still making some adjustments on risers, seat, mini-floorboards, etc to try to get it to fit me better. I still enjoy riding the Fat Bob more, but to be fair I need to give the ST some seat time.

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 02-28-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:22 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts

I like also the Fat Bob very much, this bike is different from other Harleys, with a modern and chunky look that evokes power and invites sporty driving....
I'll let myself be tempted, with a Menphis Shade Road Warrior, it will be certainly a nice ride...

Old 02-28-2023, 01:38 PM
priell3
Road Master
Received 1,807 Likes on 486 Posts

Congratulations on the FXBB. My son has a 2019 with forward controls, air cleaner and pipes. He just had 17" bars put on last autumn.

I have a 2022 Softail Standard with some added goodies and upgrades. I went with a solo Mustang seat.

Super fun bikes.

NZLowrider (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:05 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I wanted something with better wind protection then my Fat Bob so pulled the trigger on the ST.
Or, you could consider being the guinea pig for a Wedge fairing for the Fat Bob. I talked to the guy there, he said that he suspects it will actually fit, but he doesn't have a test mule to fit one or do whatever bracket work may be necessary.

Here's a pic of the Wedge on a Heritage.

In the latest incarnation, he makes it using the Fat Bob's headlight, which is not only much better looking, but also might make it cheaper since you already have that headlight.

Old 02-28-2023, 02:30 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Or, you could consider being the guinea pig for a Wedge fairing for the Fat Bob. I talked to the guy there, he said that he suspects it will actually fit, but he doesn't have a test mule to fit one or do whatever bracket work may be necessary.

Here's a pic of the Wedge on a Heritage.

In the latest incarnation, he makes it using the Fat Bob's headlight, which is not only much better looking, but also might make it cheaper since you already have that headlight.

Wow that looks great! I bought the Sharknado fairing but it arrived damaged and frankly the quality was not that great. This one looks much better!

Old 02-28-2023, 02:33 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I like also the Fat Bob very much, this bike is different from other Harleys, with a modern and chunky look that evokes power and invites sporty driving....
I'll let myself be tempted, with a Menphis Shade Road Warrior, it will be certainly a nice ride...
The Memphis Road Warrior helps at lower speeds under 50 but at highway you get blown around quite a bit. I think that's why I need two bikes. One for the canyons and one for the freeways. (at least that's what I tell my wife. Lol)

The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
LightninST (03-01-2023), Old New Rider (03-01-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 10:32 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
. I gotta say I'm in the minority as the bike hasn't fully clicked with me... I still enjoy riding the Fat Bob more...
Okay, let me just say... Assuming I made an appropriate edit up above ("hasn't")... Dude, I seriously think you're considering selling the wrong bike... You said you "bought into the hype" and got the LRST. Maybe so. Maybe it was a mistake. But you might want to think long and hard before you compound that mistake by making another one. If the Fat Bob's more fun, then you very well might end up kicking yourself for getting rid of it. Seen it a thousand times on this forum.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:41 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,902 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Okay, let me just say... Assuming I made an appropriate edit up above ("hasn't")... Dude, I seriously think you're considering selling the wrong bike... You said you "bought into the hype" and got the LRST. Maybe so. Maybe it was a mistake. But you might want to think long and hard before you compound that mistake by making another one. If the Fat Bob's more fun, then you very well might end up kicking yourself for getting rid of it. Seen it a thousand times on this forum.
You know this reminds me that people really need to do some research before getting their bikes and take a good hard look at what they're after.

For me I did a ****ton of research to figure out which bike I wanted, and I got a Fat Boy 114 because of it.
And low and behold, I absolutely ****in love the bike, and those feelings of "I wish I had a Fat Boy" still linger even though I own one. When I walk into the dealership and I see the 2 or 3 M8 Fat Boys on the floor my face lights up all with a big dumb smile and I go over and look at them even though I just rode to the dealership on one.
Thats how I know I got the right bike. I bought the bike I want, and I still wanna buy another one.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Calif Fat Bob (03-01-2023), Old New Rider (03-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Made The Move To A Softail....