2018+ Softail Models Breakout

M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 11:42 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,254 Likes on 3,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
You can do it simple with a 3/8 electric drill and a 5/16 extra long SS drill from Home Depot.

Take your pull tape and measure back in end of exhaust. I forget length but about 9"

Those two exhaust pipes serve with the Cross over both for each cylinder . Better then two into one.

That one plate you hit back in there makes each exhaust muffler two systems.

Take your 5/16 drill and drill one hole at 6 o'clock trying to get it up about 1/4 from bottom (just in case you want to plug it with a bolt and nut to refix it)

Do other pipe. One hole will sound like a cam. Two holes (another at 12 o-clock) will sound like old school).

Don't go overboard, or you will loose that Cross over pulling the other cylinder and engine break.

That drilled hole is basically letting what comes into muffler go straight thru. Some people make mistake of knocking plate out . Sounds like a 12 year old's Moped. Kills bottom end and no engine brake when you throttle off for yellow light.
Just stop.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:09 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I have Eliminator 300s with 118W Thundertorque inserts. You may want to look at swapping the quiet baffles for TTIs.
I think the 300s+118Ws are quiet enough, their sound intensity falls off fairly quickly, and standing a few feet away from the bike they're not much louder than a car.
Installing the TTIs was pretty easy too.
The only other exhaust that I would say is quieter but still has sound do it, would be the SE Street Cannons, which are a great exhaust for low end and midrange torque.
In general, I'm not wild about the TTIs for any option. I know the guys at DK like to hype them... almost as if they were a panacea for all that ails exhaust systems. There is nothing new about the concept. Generally bolts, eyebolts, lollipops, whatever, are employed to make improvements on what is probably a bad starting point (a bad setup suffering reversion for example). If you have a properly designed exhaust for a given application, you probably shouldn't need them. And unless you measure/determine their impact, you may unwittingly make things worse. One thing to consider... if lollipops/TTI were a panacea, then one might expect them to be ubiquitous, not just in custom applications, but also in OEM and aftermarket off the shelf options. Yet you don't see this.

Quick video that explains how they work...

Generally... exhaust are a tad bit more complicated (and important to get right) than I believe many realize. It's generally not a good idea to just go hacking and drilling etc. Doing so may result it one of those "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do" scenarios.

Some good reads on exhaust system theory...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=960.0

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm

Then there's the Myth about backpressure = torque. That's a whole nother story.

Last edited by T^2; 02-04-2023 at 12:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
Cootey (02-07-2023), FatBob2018 (02-04-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 05:35 PM
Cootey
Road Captain
Received 249 Likes on 142 Posts

G'day from Australia,

I am in your boat, I wanted a slightly louder and more aggressive sound (for me), IDGAF about how cool it is for others (I ride for me!), as long as it is not going to wind up with a defect. I too creep out of my neighbourhood at 5am, and my wife is with me often so something that gives note was what I am after, I have a Sport glide, and after a significant amount of research, I went back to stock headers, and the ECE marked Street Cannon slip-on. This combination is designed to work up to the 128 stage IV, and will give full power up to then. So it'll absolutely work with my little 107 and CR483 cam. In fact it improved the power and throttle response dramatically after re-tune.

I suggest the Street cannons, on your original headers. They are a little more expensive but they are a very well designed muffler designed to retain the low-end "back-pressure" and allow full flow when needed- the open core mufflers on the market (even with dB killers) do not provide this level of sound pressure and exhaust gas management- they were made cheap back in the day and we're still there, just a little more fancy...(You will see many of the best tune shops will only recommend 2-1 systems with mechanical baffle mufflers, even on 131 and 140ci builds now).

Bonus points: you will get street legal sound, no issues with your neighbours, awesome build quality and compatibility. The new generation of Street Cannons are a way better product than the old, from a personal opinion and my engineering background.

(In the US, depending on the state, you will get the EPA mufflers or the ECE mufflers. We in Australia get the ECE. Both are identical apart from the baffle installed in the rear, which can be removed. I highly recommend retaining it in, as it actually improves throttle response and bottom- mid-range power. )

Last edited by Cootey; 02-07-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:45 PM
Cootey
Road Captain
Received 249 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
In general, I'm not wild about the TTIs for any option. I know the guys at DK like to hype them... almost as if they were a panacea for all that ails exhaust systems. There is nothing new about the concept. Generally bolts, eyebolts, lollipops, whatever, are employed to make improvements on what is probably a bad starting point (a bad setup suffering reversion for example). If you have a properly designed exhaust for a given application, you probably shouldn't need them. And unless you measure/determine their impact, you may unwittingly make things worse. One thing to consider... if lollipops/TTI were a panacea, then one might expect them to be ubiquitous, not just in custom applications, but also in OEM and aftermarket off the shelf options. Yet you don't see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Generally... exhaust are a tad bit more complicated (and important to get right) than I believe many realize. It's generally not a good idea to just go hacking and drilling etc. Doing so may result it one of those "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do" scenarios.

Well written my man. This is the big deal that the Harley community can't come to terms with. noise + power. It actually doesn't and the design of the M8 is so advanced compared to the previous engines that this is even further from the truth. They have released a new system from Akrapovic that fits Softails that looks more like a sport bike system (carbon shrouds etc)- but it's the most efficient and well designed system I've ever seen in an SE catalogue. The Softails have all benefited from this new design, and if you look the new generation of Touring Street cannons have the same design now, too.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:48 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

This is nice and all but this was about their sound damping.
I just mentioned them as the fact that they made the pipes quieter and very much not problematic for my neighborhood.
I never called then a Panacea for all exhaust problems so I have no idea why you went on this rant about exhaust theory, when it was just about making the exhaust quieter...

Old 02-08-2023, 08:09 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
This is nice and all but this was about their sound damping.
I just mentioned them as the fact that they made the pipes quieter and very much not problematic for my neighborhood.
I never called then a Panacea for all exhaust problems so I have no idea why you went on this rant about exhaust theory, when it was just about making the exhaust quieter...
Because it doesn't matter what ailment (in this case sound) you're trying to address with TTIs/Lollipops/whatever, the answer remains the same.

If I read it right, you recommended to @hypecat that he might consider gutting the baffles on his VH 300s and replace them with TTIs. That would almost certainly result in a different sound signature. Great! Problem solved. But wait, what about other consequences? Do you think there might be some? Might they be undesirable? I'm guessing that there might be and I offered reasons (see the given exhaust theory info) why this might be so.

If it were me... and I went out to spend money on a set of slip ons - I might set out to try to find a set that were properly designed (assumed for the sake of argument) for the given application. If in the future I desired a change, I wouldn't go hacking/drilling what are presumed to be properly designed slip-ons (again... unintended consequences... or the "Forgive them father for they know not what they do" factor). Instead, I would go look for another properly designed alternative for the application that suited the new desire.

My reply wasn't solely pointed at your advice... It was also pointed at the other hacking/drilling advice offered in this thread.

As to what @hypecat was originally asking... I can't offer an opinion as to how the VH 300s w/quite baffles compare to my ACE mufflers, because I've not heard VH 300's w/quite baffles in person. All I could offer is to recommend going to ACE's website and listen to the sound clips offered. I can say that the sound clips, based on my experience, were a fair representation of what I got. ACE can provide mufflers for pre 2018 bikes that allow the end user to swap baffles as desired. The 2018+ options come with fixed baffles. What choice do you have in that fixed baffle? You'd have to call ACE for the answer. Mine apparently came with what they call the "Mid Rumble" baffles. I don't know if that's the only option.

That's my 2 cents. One is free to spend it (or not) however they choose.

Last edited by T^2; 02-08-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:29 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Because it doesn't matter what ailment (in this case sound) you're trying to address with TTIs/Lollipops/whatever, the answer remains the same.

If I read it right, you recommended to @hypecat that he might consider gutting the baffles on his VH 300s and replace them with TTIs. That would almost certainly result in a different sound signature. Great! Problem solved. But wait, what about other consequences? Do you think there might be some? Might they be undesirable? I'm guessing that there might be and I offered reasons (see the given exhaust theory info) why this might be so.

If it were me... and I went out to spend money on a set of slip ons - I might set out to try to find a set that were properly designed (assumed for the sake of argument) for the given application. If in the future I desired a change, I wouldn't go hacking/drilling what are presumed to be properly designed slip-ons (again... unintended consequences... or the "Forgive them father for they know not what they do" factor). Instead, I would go look for another properly designed alternative for the application that suited the new desire.

My reply wasn't solely pointed at your advice... It was also pointed at the other hacking/drilling advice offered in this thread.

As to what @hypecat was originally asking... I can't offer an opinion as to how the VH 300s w/quite baffles compare to my ACE mufflers, because I've not heard VH 300's w/quite baffles in person. All I could offer is to recommend going to ACE's website and listen to the sound clips offered. I can say that the sound clips, based on my experience, were a fair representation of what I got. ACE can provide mufflers for pre 2018 bikes that allow the end user to swap baffles as desired. The 2018+ options come with fixed baffles. What choice do you have in that fixed baffle? You'd have to call ACE for the answer. Mine apparently came with what they call the "Mid Rumble" baffles. I don't know if that's the only option.

That's my 2 cents. One is free to spend it (or not) however they choose.
uh ok?
The TTIs didn't really change the sound signature much at all, the only difference is the anti reversion reverb on decel, which is actually kinda really cool and reminds me of older harleys.
But really it just comes off as you got a chip on your shoulder TTIs.
I have experience with them in person, with the exhaust and, well. I was giving my input.
There wasnt any reason to go into a mad rant over it.
Also hacking and whatever... it's 2 inconsequential holes that are covered up by the baffle packing.
This is just a really weird rally against TTIs that came out of really no where.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 02-08-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:44 PM
hypecat
Tourer
Received 137 Likes on 43 Posts

I ordered the American Custom pre-made mufflers. I will install them when I get them to compare to the Vance & Hines Eliminator 300s.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by hypecat
I ordered the American Custom pre-made mufflers. I will install them when I get them to compare to the Vance & Hines Eliminator 300s.
Be sure to let us know. My plan is to compare American Custom modified stock mufflers to the S&S Grand Nationals I have now.

I like the classic stock muffler design better, so if it's equivalent in sound quality, I'll sell the S&S at a loss.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:35 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hypecat
Just curious if you inquired with ACE if you had a choice in regard to which fixed baffle they would come with? Or do they just come with - what I presume to be - the "Mid Rumble" baffles and that's it?

Quick Reply: M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?