M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 12:57 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
HOLYSHIT That price is nuts.
Yes... Puzzled me at first... But it appears these are mufflers with electronically controlled valves in them.

The Jekill and Hyde Company gives motorcyclists the ultimate riding experience with The Exhaust. Our electronically adjustable exhaust system gives you the possibility to adjust your sound to the moment and offers street legality, excellent performance and premium quality.
Apparently explains the cost...

They don't really appeal to me... especially for the money. Plus, I'd have to know more about how the performance impacts are delt with (if at all) in regards the valve position and the Map/Tune.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:59 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Another vote for the S&S. They're louder than stock but not douchebag loud, and I think they're the best looking slip-ons. Had 'em on my Fat Bob for five years now.

The following 2 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
Calif Fat Bob (01-17-2023), Old New Rider (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 01:03 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Glad to hear guys like S&S Grand National Slip-Ons. Included them on my Stage II build happening now. Anxious to test them out in the spring.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 01:14 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
Another vote for S&S Grand Nationals. The model with the catalytic does not require a retune if you leave your air cleaner alone. (per S&S)
I have them on my 2020 Fat Bob and will install on Low Rider ST. T

They come in Chrome as well
The S&S are no doubt quality pieces... EPA/CARB compliant and all. If memory serves, sound clips and reporting from forum members suggests they would probably meet the OPs performance/sound requirements. However, for me they probably wouldn't be a pick. I just don't like their looks for a vintage/nostalgic looking bike like the Heritage. I don't care for their square/or slash cut end caps for this application. They would look too modern/contemporary/out of place on Heritage in my mind. The American Custom option just works better in this case - at least for me. Plus the price... The American Customs are hard to beat. Those S&S Grand Nationals are pretty pricey (well over $1K).

Last edited by T^2; 01-17-2023 at 02:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by T^2:
Calif Fat Bob (01-17-2023), MilkMan608 (01-18-2023), Old New Rider (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 01:19 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
The S&S are not doubt quality pieces... EPA/CARB compliant and all. If memory serves, sound clips and reporting from forum member suggests they would probably meet the OPs performance/sound requirements. However, for me they probably wouldn't be a pick. I just don't like their looks for a vintage/nostalgic looking bike like the Heritage. I don't care for their square/or slash cut end caps for this application. They would look too modern/contemporary/out of place on Heritage in my mind. The American Custom option just works better in this case - at least for me. Plus the price... The American Customs are hard to beat. Those S&S Grand Nationals are pretty pricey (well over $1K).
Yeah, the $1k price for S&S GN includes high flow cats, w/o they're around $500. I wanted cats, kind of done with the days of stink and fumes, after growing up with 'em.

I agree, I don't care for the mod bike look of the S&S GN pipe ends either, but hadn't heard other similar sound options until your post just now. Hadn't hear of American Customs. Too late for me now - already dropped the $1k and putting pipes on.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:01 PM
pab3rd
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 149 Posts

I had a manual exhaust cut out on my old car in the 60's. Think it is like 19.95 from jc whitney

Attached Thumbnails M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 01-17-2023, 02:11 PM
wztravis
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Another vote for the S&S. They're louder than stock but not douchebag loud, and I think they're the best looking slip-ons. Had 'em on my Fat Bob for five years now.
Haha, hilarious. That's exactly what I'd like to avoid. The "douchebag" sound. I can't stand it. I almost went with the S&S GN pipes actually. Ended up pulling the trigger on the American Custom modified stockers. We'll see how they sound soon! Thanks.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:15 PM
wztravis
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
The S&S are no doubt quality pieces... EPA/CARB compliant and all. If memory serves, sound clips and reporting from forum members suggests they would probably meet the OPs performance/sound requirements. However, for me they probably wouldn't be a pick. I just don't like their looks for a vintage/nostalgic looking bike like the Heritage. I don't care for their square/or slash cut end caps for this application. They would look too modern/contemporary/out of place on Heritage in my mind. The American Custom option just works better in this case - at least for me. Plus the price... The American Customs are hard to beat. Those S&S Grand Nationals are pretty pricey (well over $1K).
Thanks. I completely agree on all points, at least on paper, which is why I grabbed the American Custom modified stockers. I *think* they'll fit the bill for me this time around.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated! Hopefully I'll enjoy the American Custom pipes. Will let you know!

Old 01-17-2023, 09:52 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

So if you are past warranty you don't need converters. They quiet the Harley sound a lot no matter what slip on or pipe you use. Biggest downside is that it has to be retuned and with something other than factory or SE Pro tuner.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:32 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by VernDiesel
So if you are past warranty you don't need converters. They quiet the Harley sound a lot no matter what slip on or pipe you use. Biggest downside is that it has to be retuned and with something other than factory or SE Pro tuner.
Meh... Depends... but generally nah.

Quick Reply: M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?