2018+ Softail Models Breakout

M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 10:26 PM
wztravis
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Maybe check out American Custom Exhaust...

You can either send you mufflers in to be converted - $169
https://americancustom.com/collectio...-from-your-own

Or you can buy already converted ones - $244.
Bullet Slip-On Mufflers for Softail Bikes (Pre-made) – American Custom

If considering having your mufflers converted, note...

The converted ones for '18+ will likely sound like the pre-made versions (likely the mid rumble version) - assuming you have no choice in baffle... See sound clip on the "pre-made" page (probably the same sound clip as the mid rumble clip on the "made from your own" page). IDK if you can request a particular baffle with the converted option or not (might call and ask). I went with the pre-made option and it apparently comes with the mid rumbler baffle.

I'd say they pretty much meet the OP's stated requirements. You probably won't notice much difference between the stock mufflers and the American Custom ones unless you are revving the motor or rolling on the throttle. I notice just a tad more base in their note when cruising. The OP should have no problem with these and sneaking out of the neighborhood and 5 a.m. in the morning. As to performance impacts... The bike feels exactly the same with no map/tune changes. To be fair, I've not dyno'ed it to know exactly the impact. If I were a betting man, I'd guess it was next to nothing. I have a Powervision, so for S&G's, I went ahead and got a tune from FuelMoto and uploaded it. I've done some auto tunning sessions to help dial in the VE tables. Feels the exact same. Only significant difference noticed is that the FuelMoto map bumps the idle up by a 100 RPM - which I considered a benefit.

Bonus list (at least to me)...
  • I prefer the look of the stock bullet mufflers on the Heritage. In my mind most aftermarket slip-ons or exhaust look too contemporary and out of place on a nostalgic design.
  • Hard to beat the price.
  • I pretty much had the same sound requirements as the OP. Check.
  • No catalytic converter... Maybe less heat (particularly for the passenger).
  • Nobody will know they are not stock by just looking at them... They are modified OEM mufflers afterall.
thanks! Just what I'm looking for. Placed my order this evening!

The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-22-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:16 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,883 Likes on 11,606 Posts

Once my SE Street Canons broke in they sounded great. About 1,000 miles.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:41 AM
MilkMan608
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wztravis
You made a good choice.
I love mine on my 2020 FLHCS Stage II.

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-22-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 07:03 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Or you go for a J&H exhaust, loud when you want to and quiet when needed ... J&H - Heritage exhaust

I have these on both my Fat Boy and Street Glide Special, I wouldn't want any other exhaust anymore, I have the V&H Big Radius on my Street Bob and it annoys me to death

Jekill and Hyde Exhausts (02-15-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 07:39 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by wztravis
@wztravis Might note... If you opted for the pre-made and you ordered online, you might want to give them a call to check on your order. They make the pre-made ones from mufflers/cores that people have sent in for the core refund. If they are low/out of cores at the current moment, it may impact how soon they can fulfill your order. This happened in my case and it took a while before I received mine. Not a big deal for me. I was in no hurry and eventually I got what I wanted. I could have got a set a lot faster if I sent my mufflers in to be converted, but I preferred to keep mine. For whatever reason, I tend to keep all the original parts from my bikes when I do upgrades.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:48 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Or you go for a J&H exhaust, loud when you want to and quiet when needed ... J&H - Heritage exhaust

I have these on both my Fat Boy and Street Glide Special, I wouldn't want any other exhaust anymore, I have the V&H Big Radius on my Street Bob and it annoys me to death
HOLYSHIT That price is nuts.

wjcbsr (02-04-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 08:01 AM
jfl330
Road Captain
Received 306 Likes on 168 Posts

V&H Staggered Slip On's, sound controlled by the volume control in your right hand. Nice rumble, will scream when fully twieted.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:01 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
HOLYSHIT That price is nuts.

I have also the collector from them on my Fat Boy, not at first but I liked the look beter with the even exhaust line .... then the price is even crazier and certainly in Belgium ... $ 4.420,98

J&H collector

USA price

Belgium price, coverted to dollars it is $ 4.420,98

Old 01-17-2023, 08:17 AM
ADKRider
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

S&S Grand Nationals is a slip-on you might be interested in. They make two versions, one with catalytic converters installed, and one "race only" model that is without converters. The race only model is louder than the stock pipes, but not over the top. They look good too. There are some sound clips on YouTube.
Good luck.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:50 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,845 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by ADKRider
S&S Grand Nationals is a slip-on you might be interested in. They make two versions, one with catalytic converters installed, and one "race only" model that is without converters. The race only model is louder than the stock pipes, but not over the top. They look good too. There are some sound clips on YouTube.
Good luck.
Another vote for S&S Grand Nationals. The model with the catalytic does not require a retune if you leave your air cleaner alone. (per S&S)
I have them on my 2020 Fat Bob and will bought to install on Low Rider ST.

They come in Chrome as well

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 01-17-2023 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?