2018+ Softail Models Breakout

M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 12:10 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Isn't that kind of dangerous to have music earplugs while driving? Can't hear sirens, horns, etc.? Just wondering.
Nope.
Deaf people can drive. I'm partially deaf in both ears. There was no concern about my deafness when getting a license.
Many cars these days are so quiet and sound proof that engine sounds have to be generated back into the cabin or people get bored of their cars or get too sleepy due to the quietness.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:58 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Nope.
Deaf people can drive. I'm partially deaf in both ears. There was no concern about my deafness when getting a license.
Many cars these days are so quiet and sound proof that engine sounds have to be generated back into the cabin or people get bored of their cars or get too sleepy due to the quietness.
Did not know that! I suppose with the EV's around now, that part has gone away?

I remember the factory I worked in added beepers to the electric forklifts in addition to the flashing light on top you couldn't always see. Those fork drivers worked like mad cause plant paid productivity bonus - they'd come flying around corners out of nowhere.

Also, thanks to you I ordered Alpine Musicsafe ear plugs. I should send you a set for all your help!

FranBunnyFFXII (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 03:43 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 427 Likes on 262 Posts

I use Alpine Work safe ear plugs, they are better than Moto Safe, but that's not enough for me, I have big resonances in my helmet on my 107 Heritage with the Neighbor Haters slips on, I am thinking to trade them with the Rinehart, after listening to them, I find that they have a sound less slamming, rounder and more pleasant than mine or the Eliminator 300....

Old New Rider (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 09:51 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I use Alpine Work safe ear plugs, they are better than Moto Safe, but that's not enough for me, I have big resonances in my helmet on my 107 Heritage with the Neighbor Haters slips on, I am thinking to trade them with the Rinehart, after listening to them, I find that they have a sound less slamming, rounder and more pleasant than mine or the Eliminator 300....
Did you try Alpine Music Safe? I see these are just marketing names chosen for the amount of dBa attenuation provided. The top Music Safe plugs are -22 dBa, about the same as my 3M Peltior electronic shooting earmuffs @ -24 dBa. By comparison, the mickey mouse ear muffs I use for high power rifle shooting are -30 dBa.

S&S Grand Nationals sound good to me, so far.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:40 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

thanks for your advices, the Work safe are -23db and they work good I think, I just have to trade my Slips on, S&S seems to be fine, but I find them a bit short compare to the others...

Old 02-16-2023, 12:03 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
thanks for your advices, the Work safe are -23db and they work good I think, I just have to trade my Slips on, S&S seems to be fine, but I find them a bit short compare to the others...
Yes, they are a little shorter than the factory tubes. I didn't research that part, just looked for mufflers that would fit the Heritage. It still looks ok, not like a Sportster, or anything. Makes it look more modern. I thought I might not like the aesthetics, but they look fine, and sound terrific. I looked at the builder and said "it finally sounds like a Harley!"

Old 02-20-2023, 12:45 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Might be interesting to see, cross-section of a J&H exhaust ... ( accidentally posted this in the Fat Boy thread earlier as well )

Jekill and Hyde Exhausts (02-24-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 03:12 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

I had a pair of J&H on my Road King when I bought it, they where 4 years old and they broke down quickly, they all broke down after a while, with rust, scale, and temperature variations, it cannot be otherwise, in addition, the engine mapping is disturbed by the opening or closing of the valves, so I think it's not a good solution and I would not spend such a lot of money for this mufflers...

Old 02-23-2023, 07:42 PM
wolfie1961
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with V&H Slash. They worked out great. Not too loud when I'm coming home at 4 am, but loud enough to let people know when I'm lane filtering.

Cootey (02-23-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 02:25 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

we don't have the same feelings with the sounds, I have heard a set of them on a Heritage from a budy of mine and they are way too loud for me, at least as much as my Neighbor Haters, I think I will go with the Rinehart 3.5 slips-on, they seem to be quieter and have a much rounder sound less slamming than the others...

Quick Reply: M8 exhaust slighty louder than stock?