2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023 | 07:23 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

My 2013 Heritage has a throttle cable for both the fuel and clutch. Never had a problem with tire pressures lol

Old 01-15-2023 | 07:26 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tngarren
So what material was the OEM intake on your Fat Boy made with?

Mine is cheap plastic, I would love a Chinese aluminum one

Old 01-15-2023 | 08:36 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
My take on the Fobo based on reading only is the unit uses a CR2032 battery it must be quite a big device. It weighs 11grams which is not insignificant to the balance of the wheel. The reviews are all over the place that for some it seems a very difficult device to get up and running.

The concept is good. Just need to find the holy grail device.
FOBO 2 Specs...

https://my-fobo.com/product-family/F...e_2#pills-spec

Battery - CR1632
Weight - 7.6g (0.27 oz)

Smallest wheeling balancing adhesive weight - 0.25 oz. (based on a quick lookup). Does the FOBO sensor weight impact wheel balance? Good question. It doesn't appear that FOBO addresses this question anywhere that I can find. Q&As in review sections seem to say no. So do many forum post here and there.

As to reviews and ease of use issues... I pretty much take reviews with a grain of salt. If you scratch below the surface you'll often find that reviewer issues stem from ignorance. On the other hand you can find decent reviews which offer little nuggets of useful information that are helpful in making buying decisions. Also one should be cognizant of the fact that both the software/firmware is upgradable. Issues may get resolved, usability improved, new features added etc. On the same token updates can break things. Goes with the territory. But overall, it looks like the FOBOs gets pretty favorable reviews.

The following users liked this post:
Andy from Sandy (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023 | 09:07 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
I guess folks just have different circumstances such as....

1: Nope. The LeePee doesn't separate front & rear psi/temp thresholds but these thresholds are set for one reason. To initiate the visual/audible alarms should either tire exceed the settings. Moco psi recommendations are 36F/40R. My alarm settings are 32psi Low/50psi High and I have the High Temp warning set at 150deg because to me the F/R temp monitoring is more just a novelty feature that allows me to see how much influence ambient temps have over psi and it's significant but one question that begs to be asked since I've noticed these temp.psi changes is this...The Moco recommends running 36F/40R psi but I've noticed that the exhaust pipes (being near the rear tire) elevate the temp of the rear tire which in turn elevates the rear psi by right about +4psi while the (not exposed to exhaust pipe heat) front tire only gains about 2psi once on the roll making your "True Running PSI" approximately 38F/44R...whoops! LOL! So my sense of logic says the rear should be be 2-4 psi lower at cold checks so now how many individual alarm settings do we really need?
As noted... pressure is supposed to be measured "cold". Cold in this case simply means that the tire has been at rest for enough time that temperature variations from rolling resistance has been factored out. I would hazard a guess that other sources of temperature variability (such as mentioned here) have been factored in by the manufacturer. So, seems best to simply measure (cold) and set based on the given manufacturers recommendation. I would also set thresholds accordingly. As to having only one thresholds for both tires... Seems like an (disqualifying) oversight to me. Maybe an oversight based on ignorance? Or perhaps they were just too cheap to update their app for motorcycle applications. In fact - thinking about it - this wouldn't work well for my truck either. The delta between the front and rear pressures on my truck is significant (IIRC 55 front, 80 rear).

2: Is not a big deal at all. I can just slightly jostle my bike by its bars on its stand and I'll get a message at the bottom of the LeePee Home Screen that says "Bluetooth Has Opened" and viola! there's my real time temps & pressures as the LeePee caps are "Motion Activated" which preserves the caps cr1632 battery life speaking of which, I can just tap my screen on front or rear and get momentary pop-up reports on individual battery life that reads like 2.99V/96% cool.
It's good to know that the motion required isn't significant. I still would prefer that they register with no interaction with the bike. Battery life/savings might be a factor with this approach. But, if FOBO is correct and their setup's battery life is a year, then I don't see this savings as any big deal. Just add replacing the batteries to the regular annual maintenance schedule.

3: I own 1 bike and 1 smartphone and since $100 FOBO is like 2 1/2+ times the price of a set of $35 LeePee caps?...there's a Liberty Mutual commercial in there somewhere! Why pay for more than whatcha need? LOL!!!

anyways...it's up to the individual purchaser as to which Tire Pressure Management System fits their needs (and wallet) best.
Multiple bikes and multiple phones would be a factor for me. But yes... It all depends on the individual's needs/requirements.

Last edited by T^2; 01-15-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2023 | 09:21 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
FOBO 2 Specs...

Battery - CR1632
Weight - 7.6g (0.27 oz)
It seems a backward step to go with the smaller battery that only gets half the operating time. I don't how its usage is increased or decreased considering it is on all the time.

Still looking...

Old 01-15-2023 | 09:42 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hey Man
How lazy can y'all get? Just bend over and check the damn pressure with a gauge. Next thing you know you'll sending your bikes out to be washed and waxed!
Pretty lazy I guess... at least in my case. And yes... If I could afford it, I would also send the bike out to be washed and waxed.

In my mind checking tire pressure can be a pain... rolling the bike around to get access to the valve etc. This can be particularly so when riding in the winter when one might be all bundled up like the Michelin Man (kneeling down/bending can suck in this situation). If this contraption can make one of the pre-ride safety checks that much easier/less onerous (and therefore more likely to be done), then I'm in favor.

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
My 2013 Heritage has a throttle cable for both the fuel and clutch. Never had a problem with tire pressures lol
One might take a similar view about ABS, traction/stability control, rider modes etc. Are these features really necessary? My '09 Nightster has none of this stuff and I still get around on it just fine. But I would suspect many would say that they are not just "nice to haves", but are mandatory. If given the choice, I believe most would rather have these features than not. It would seem that TPMS would also fall into this category. It's ubiquitous on cars (and likely will become so on motorcycles). I wonder, for those that have this feature on their vehicles, how many consider it to be unnecessary gimmickry. I suspect few. Most probably appreciate having it. It seems like a nice option to be able to inexpensively/easily retrofit vehicles (bikes) that don't come with TPMS from the factory.

So in my mind... Pre-ride safety checks made less onerous (more likely to be done) - check. Early warning while riding - bonus.

Last edited by T^2; 01-15-2023 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FatBob2018 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023 | 09:50 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

It is mandatory here across Europe. My car from the factory is equipped with run flat tyres. It wouldn't be apparent there was a loss of pressure with them.

I have had a warning from my car as a tyre lost pressure, so I know the system works. The BMW system isn't particularly very accurate but having reset it and then see what it shows it is easy to calibrate in my head.

Old 01-15-2023 | 09:58 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

It seems a backward step to go with the smaller battery that only gets half the operating time. I don't how its usage is increased or decreased considering it is on all the time.

Still looking...
Well which tradeoff are you most concerned with? At first your concern was the size and weight issues that would come from using a larger battery (CR2032). Now that we are talking about a smaller battery (CR1623), size and weight, your concern is the battery life. Got to pick one - its a tradeoff after all.

Seems to me that the size and weight would outweigh battery life, particularly if one finds the manufacturer's estimated battery life of 1 year to be acceptable.

Of course... if battery life is paramount, then one of the other options (with feature tradeoffs) might work better.

Old 01-15-2023 | 10:18 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

Just messing! Yes I am concerned reading that some have had rubber valve stems break with I assume the heavier older unit. Fobo even seem concerned and warn users following the link you gave. A seasons worth of riding and then change the battery as part of the service. It is not a real issue.

The stems on my bike seem quite low profile though.

Old 01-15-2023 | 10:25 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Just messing! Yes I am concerned reading that some have had rubber valve stems break with I assume the heavier older unit. Fobo even seem concerned and warn users following the link you gave. A seasons worth of riding and then change the battery as part of the service. It is not a real issue.

The stems on my bike seem quite low profile though.
Fortunately for me, both my Nightster and Heritage have laced rims, inner tubes and metal valve stems. The valve stems on my Nightster are vertical - so no problem there. Since the rear valve stem on the Heritage is on the side, I'd have to check it to see if there was a clearance issue.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)