2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023 | 06:46 AM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
Is it?...

"on the economic side, a 2017 survey conducted by Merdeka Center revealed 70% of Malaysians supported China's presence and investment in the country.[size=8333px] [/size]In a 2019 survey done by Ipsos, around 74 percent of respondents in Malaysia perceived that China would be a positive influence on world affairs over the next decade.[size=8333px]"[/size]

But hey, technically you're right and aren't you happy I wished you good luck? LOL!

Call ne a defeatist but when I recognized some 20+ years ago that HD's had wheels cast in Japan along with fueling by Mikuni and electronics by Hitachi I found it laughable as at that time all I had ever owned, rode and loved was Jap sport bikes (4-5 decades worth) but now HD has parts made in China and when I found out that companies like Brembo who pimp their high end brake components as being "Made in Italy" farm many of their components out to Chinese manufacturing?...between that and the Mexican wiring harnesses in my '22 Heritage I gave up giving a flip about COO.

So "MADE IN " don't mean chit anymore except to people who like their ears tickled by it cause they achieved it...we're living in a global economy.
I get it. The first part I bought from a Harley dealer was a pilot jet for a Kawasaki Vulcan.

I do realize that avoiding products that China has a hand in is futile. I just look for alternatives when possible.

I feel the same way about Walmart. Not for moral or political reasons. The place just sucks and I hate going there.

The following users liked this post:
JINKSTER (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023 | 10:56 AM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by rusty springs
i get it. The first part i bought from a harley dealer was a pilot jet for a kawasaki vulcan.

I do realize that avoiding products that china has a hand in is futile. I just look for alternatives when possible.

I feel the same way about walmart. Not for moral or political reasons. The place just sucks and i hate going there.
lol!!!

Check!

Old 01-14-2023 | 03:33 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Try using the app on a "phone" that only use on wifi and tell me that you can turn location off. On the FOBO forums it is the experience of many that a phone has to be connected to a working service.
What? You don't have to enable location services. It's not a problem.

But just to humor you, I just set my phone to airplane mode - i.e. turned off wifi and cellular service - went out to the cold garage and guess what? The app works just fine and reads the tire pressure in real time.

Are you seriously worried that a TPMS sensor company is tracking where you ride for some unknown reason with evil intent? What are they going to do with the information - tell your old lady you are at the strip joint? Is there a back door built into the pressure sensors that could......oooh.....maybe let your tyres down remotely. Actually, maybe that's a brilliant plan in case the Chinese ever try to invade America. Make sure all the bikers are busy pumping their tires up again so they don't notice the planes and tanks?

I think you are overthinking this. The location services are for their little group ride thing. Although god knows why anyone would use it, given all the other options around today. And the data bleed from your cellphone usage in everyday life is probably a million times worse anyway. Wifi or cellular.

The following 2 users liked this post by adm:
elPrez (01-14-2023), Tundra9880 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023 | 04:29 PM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Holy guacamole! I feel like I might have spent the $38 for the entertainment this thread has provided and got my LeePee TPMS for free! LOL!

One thing is for sure. There’s a ton of great information that’s been brought forth in this thread, whether you buy FOBO or LeePee internal or external TPMS and I hope the one thing most of us can agree on is that keeping close track of your motorcycles tire pressure is a great idea.

elPrez (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023 | 05:19 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
I get it. The first part I bought from a Harley dealer was a pilot jet for a Kawasaki Vulcan.

I do realize that avoiding products that China has a hand in is futile. I just look for alternatives when possible.

I feel the same way about Walmart. Not for moral or political reasons. The place just sucks and I hate going there.
I avoid chinese products by a personal and experience reason on my Harley. For my Emote bike... I had no choice. No one makes the kinds if battery packs and motor controllers for EVs like Shenzen China does. Almost all of the parts on my Ebike are Chinese, except for the base bike, which is American.
The ONLY Chinese origin part that I have on my Fat Boy is the Sissybar. Because NO ONE in america made one like it, and it wasnt knockoff cheap **** either.
Sometimes though if I want to try a product that is made outside of china, and there's a chinese knockoff version at a reasonable price. I'll try that first. Like my zero drag motorcycle backpack.
The backpack is great, and the concept is solid. But I aint paying ****in 200$ for that ****. I got the chinese version for 54$
Chinese products are good for certain things, and a no go for others.
There is a lot of really low quality Chinese **** that can be genuinely dangerous and if I bought a used bike from someone that had that crap on it, I'd be replacing it with a harley OE part ASAP.
Like a knock of harley parts chinese company is making this lowgrade wanna be 55mm aluminium intake for the M8 bikes now and a knock off of the S&S tappet, and If I figured out that someone had put that on a bike I bought from them, I'd be furious. To think that in the future someone may actually have to pull their pushrods out to see if some dumbshit put chinese made tappet cuffs in their ****in Harley blows my mind.

Old 01-14-2023 | 08:49 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

So... I've given these things a gander. Couple of things that struck me about some options...
  1. From what I can tell it seems some options don't let you set separate pressure thresholds for the front and back. I can't tell for sure, but it appears that the Leepee falls in this category.
  2. Some units appear to not report tire pressure until they sense movement. Again, it appears that the Leepee might be one of them.
  3. Most appear not to allow more than one bike on the app and/or allow the use of multiple phones etc. Leepee appears to be included here too.
Since there are other options for which none of the above are true, I might consider any one of the above being true as disqualifying. Number 1 - for obvious reasons. Number 2 - because when I go out to the garage I don't want to have to fiddle with the bike to check tire pressure. Seems to defeat one of the purposes for buying these things. Number 3 - also for obvious reasons.

From what I can tell the FOBO 2 units have no such issues and have better features (re. software) all around. If I were to go for an option, I would probably pay the extra $ for something like FOBO which appears to be an all round better solution. The extra $ savings isn't significant enough motivation to skimp for the cheaper options in my opinion.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by T^2; 01-14-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2023 | 03:04 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

My take on the Fobo based on reading only is the unit uses a CR2032 battery it must be quite a big device. It weighs 11grams which is not insignificant to the balance of the wheel. The reviews are all over the place that for some it seems a very difficult device to get up and running.

The concept is good. Just need to find the holy grail device.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 01-15-2023 at 03:06 AM.
Glenn Gorman (01-24-2023)
Old 01-15-2023 | 04:23 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Like a knock of harley parts chinese company is making this lowgrade wanna be 55mm aluminium intake for the M8 bikes now and a knock off of the S&S tappet, and If I figured out that someone had put that on a bike I bought from them, I'd be furious. .
So what material was the OEM intake on your Fat Boy made with?

Old 01-15-2023 | 06:55 AM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by T^2
So... I've given these things a gander. Couple of things that struck me about some options...
  1. From what I can tell it seems some options don't let you set separate pressure thresholds for the front and back. I can't tell for sure, but it appears that the Leepee falls in this category.
  2. Some units appear to not report tire pressure until they sense movement. Again, it appears that the Leepee might be one of them.
  3. Most appear not to allow more than one bike on the app and/or allow the use of multiple phones etc. Leepee appears to be included here too.
Since there are other options for which none of the above are true, I might consider any one of the above being true as disqualifying. Number 1 - for obvious reasons. Number 2 - because when I go out to the garage I don't want to have to fiddle with the bike to check tire pressure. Seems to defeat one of the purposes for buying these things. Number 3 - also for obvious reasons.

From what I can tell the FOBO 2 units have no such issues and have better features (re. software) all around. If I were to go for an option, I would probably pay the extra $ for something like FOBO which appears to be an all round better solution. The extra $ savings isn't significant enough motivation to skimp for the cheaper options in my opinion.

My 2 cents.
I guess folks just have different circumstances such as....

1: Nope. The LeePee doesn't separate front & rear psi/temp thresholds but these thresholds are set for one reason. To initiate the visual/audible alarms should either tire exceed the settings. Moco psi recommendations are 36F/40R. My alarm settings are 32psi Low/50psi High and I have the High Temp warning set at 150deg because to me the F/R temp monitoring is more just a novelty feature that allows me to see how much influence ambient temps have over psi and it's significant but one question that begs to be asked since I've noticed these temp.psi changes is this...The Moco recommends running 36F/40R psi but I've noticed that the exhaust pipes (being near the rear tire) elevate the temp of the rear tire which in turn elevates the rear psi by right about +4psi while the (not exposed to exhaust pipe heat) front tire only gains about 2psi once on the roll making your "True Running PSI" approximately 38F/44R...whoops! LOL! So my sense of logic says the rear should be be 2-4 psi lower at cold checks so now how many individual alarm settings do we really need?

2: Is not a big deal at all. I can just slightly jostle my bike by its bars on its stand and I'll get a message at the bottom of the LeePee Home Screen that says "Bluetooth Has Opened" and viola! there's my real time temps & pressures as the LeePee caps are "Motion Activated" which preserves the caps cr1632 battery life speaking of which, I can just tap my screen on front or rear and get momentary pop-up reports on individual battery life that reads like 2.99V/96% cool.

3: I own 1 bike and 1 smartphone and since $100 FOBO is like 2 1/2+ times the price of a set of $35 LeePee caps?...there's a Liberty Mutual commercial in there somewhere! Why pay for more than whatcha need? LOL!!!

anyways...it's up to the individual purchaser as to which Tire Pressure Management System fits their needs (and wallet) best.

Old 01-15-2023 | 07:10 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

How lazy can y'all get? Just bend over and check the damn pressure with a gauge. Next thing you know you'll sending your bikes out to be washed and waxed!

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)