2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023 | 12:04 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
The ones in my BMW car are still working at 7 1/2 years old and are of a similar style to the ailexpress ones fitted internally.
The ones in my wife's Prius need to be changed. Then again, it's 16 years old, so it's hard to complain; 16 years of battery life is pretty good!

Old 01-12-2023 | 05:39 PM
johndawg
Intermediate

Thanks for posting this! Just ordered. We'll see if they work. Worth a shot... I've spent $35 in worse places. haha

The following 2 users liked this post by johndawg:
Calif Fat Bob (01-13-2023), JINKSTER (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 08:00 AM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by johndawg
Thanks for posting this! Just ordered. We'll see if they work. Worth a shot... I've spent $35 in worse places. haha
Cool and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Just what I've learned about tire pressures and temps alone has been worth the price of admission.

For instance, previously if someone asked me what tire pressures am I running I might say something like 40 rear/36 front and that may very well be what they were on my pre-ride cold check however once down the road aways the story changes and what I'm really "Running" is about 44-46 in the rear and maybe 38'ish front and the reasons the rear is so much higher is because not only is there more rubber meeting road but there's more rubber there to retain heat annnnnd?....the exhaust pipes are right alongside the rear tire so the front tire only sees slightly elevated temps from the road while the rear tire sees significantly elevated temps from a combination of the road and exhaust heat.

It's also informative to witness 3-5psi fluctuations between a 45deg morning ride into work and a 75deg afternoon ride home from work.

As can be witnessed right here in this thread (and many others) bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts alike have little to no tolerance for those who don't practice due diligence dotting their i's and crossing their T's and even less for "that guy" who shows up for a ride and winds up ruining everyone's good time because they did no preflight checks on their ride and now everyone's plans suddenly change and suddenly?....that whip some clip to their bike starts to make sense! LOL!

The following 2 users liked this post by JINKSTER:
johndawg (01-13-2023), JustinC13A (01-25-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 04:42 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Tyre pressure is probably THE most important thing to know about on your bike. Your life literally depends on two very small patches of contact between the tyres and the road. Motorcycle tyres are designed to work best at an optimum pressure. If the pressure is significantly too high or low, they don't work as well and, well, your risk of dying painfully increases. Nobody wants that.

Even a couple of PSI makes a huge difference in how the rubber and the road respond to each other.

I check my tyre pressures literally every time before I get on the bike. It's easy - I just look at my iPhone or Apple Watch (other options are available) and takes about 5-10 seconds. Peace of mind...

And yeah, I am **** about this with cars as well. I pay good money for tyres and want them to last as long as possible and have my vehicles perform as well as possible. Tyre pressure is very important.

The following 3 users liked this post by adm:
elPrez (01-13-2023), JINKSTER (01-13-2023), JustinC13A (01-25-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 06:00 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
Good luck with that

According to Amazon reviews the FOBO system is made in Malaysia. That's somewhere else.

Old 01-13-2023 | 08:22 PM
Tundra9880
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
I was talking to a buddy of mine about the infotainment system on the RGS I was looking at and how I have GPS and BT and Phone all piped into my helmet but the one thing they have that I don’t for my heritage is the tire pressure monitoring system…well my Heritage has that now as well.

Leepee BT 5.0 TPMS off Amazon for $38

No more rolling the bike back and forth and me rolling on the ground to check tire pressure…I have an app for that!

Just did this for my ‘19 Heritage today too! I went with the Fobo 2. Seems similar and got good reviews. We’ll see. I always check tire pressure before a ride, but it’s good to have it monitored also.

Ride safe!

The following users liked this post:
JINKSTER (01-14-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 08:27 PM
Tundra9880
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tired
The FOBO's I own operate from a phone app, not a receiver. Might want to fact check your BS OP.
I think the original Fobo had a receiver you’d strap to your bars or wherever. The Fobo 2 uses an app. That’s what I installed today. The caps are quite a bit smaller on the second version.

We’ll see how it goes!

The following users liked this post:
JINKSTER (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023 | 05:54 AM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
According to Amazon reviews the FOBO system is made in Malaysia. That's somewhere else.
Is it?...

"on the economic side, a 2017 survey conducted by Merdeka Center revealed 70% of Malaysians supported China's presence and investment in the country.[size=8333px] [/size]In a 2019 survey done by Ipsos, around 74 percent of respondents in Malaysia perceived that China would be a positive influence on world affairs over the next decade.[size=8333px]"[/size]

But hey, technically you're right and aren't you happy I wished you good luck? LOL!

Call ne a defeatist but when I recognized some 20+ years ago that HD's had wheels cast in Japan along with fueling by Mikuni and electronics by Hitachi I found it laughable as at that time all I had ever owned, rode and loved was Jap sport bikes (4-5 decades worth) but now HD has parts made in China and when I found out that companies like Brembo who pimp their high end brake components as being "Made in Italy" farm many of their components out to Chinese manufacturing?...between that and the Mexican wiring harnesses in my '22 Heritage I gave up giving a flip about COO.

So "MADE IN " don't mean chit anymore except to people who like their ears tickled by it cause they achieved it...we're living in a global economy.

Old 01-14-2023 | 06:05 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

Looking around I have read a few negatives to the "heavy" dust caps that have caused damage to aging rubber valve stems and a possible change in balance as they weigh in relation to a plastic dust cap considerably more.

In 2019 a UK review gave the Fobo a very low score.
Real-time temperature and pressure readings are displayed in an attractive app and an in-car unit gives flashing alerts. Up to 12 sensors can be linked to an online account, but each one is heavy (11g). Plus, the test sample refused to pair with our Android smartphone. The warnings were inconsistent, and it’s pricey.
One question I did get answered though is some come with a locking nut to stop them from simply being unscrewed as seen here pictured.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...em-tpms-review

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 01-14-2023 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2023 | 06:12 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by adm
Not true. It can be turned off and in fact has to be turned on manually in the first place.

It asks you to set location to "Always" in the app. It explains it as "This app requires your permission to enable location services in order to monitor sensors in the background." And it gives a "go to Settings" or "No" option.

It works just fine without location tracking enabled.

It seems FOBO actually uses the location data for their "Group Ride" feature, which if you want to use it will show locations and tire pressures for other riders in your group that also have FOBO on their bikes. They probably don't use it for anything more nefarious than that, but as I said above, you can turn it off.
Try using the app on a "phone" that only use on wifi and tell me that you can turn location off. On the FOBO forums it is the experience of many that a phone has to be connected to a working service.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 01-14-2023 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)