2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023 | 12:14 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
To each their own but I like checking my tire pressure at least once a week and staying on top of it like that seems to extend the mileage of my tires and?…keeps me safer and more confident through turns, curves and sweepers.

I’m very happy that such a product is available at this price point.
How do you loose so much tire pressure in a week though?
When I first got my bike I was pretty ontop of the while tire pressure thing, especially since my EV bike's tires liked to leak air.
But after I got my new tires and saw that my rear lost like 1PSI in a month, and the front was the same tire pressure as when I filled it up(cold tire pressure), I stopped being so much of a worry wart about it.
This bike holds tire pressure pretty well.
For my fat boy Tire pressure is a fairly noticeable thing, and the last time I noticed the bike was not feeling all that right, I checked the rear and sure enough 38PSI. That small of a drop, It was noticeable. Just 2 PSI below factory recommended, 4PSI below ideal cold pressure.
I guess tire pressure is more noticeable on the fat boy.
Cold front tire vs warm front tire is also really noticeable too.

The following users liked this post:
Doublefelix (01-12-2023)
Old 01-11-2023 | 12:20 PM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
Even a subject as simple as TPMS can cause heated debate. Lol
I wanted to get the Fobo system but also read the "use metal valve stems" warning. I'm wondering it those failures were on much longer rubber valves stems??
I think it has much to do with the liability of not knowing if some shade tree folks with bead breaker’s are running some old, potentially dry rot level valve stems and that’s fobo’s fail safe cya

Old 01-11-2023 | 12:41 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member

Why the difference in temperature between front and rear?

Old 01-11-2023 | 12:43 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

As has already been stated, the Fobo Bike 2 uses an app. It does not have some separate receiver.

Old 01-11-2023 | 01:02 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
These for example,

Wonder how long the battery lasts on those? I know I'll change the battery on my Garmin caps at least once a year but I don't have to remove the tire to do so as you would with the internal type. If they last as long as a car then it's several years but would suck if you change a tire and 2 months later the battery dies rendering it useless until you get the tire off. The caps from FOBO can lock on and are useless to someone else if they get stolen. Not that a thief would necessarily know that. I have not had a problem with anyone taking my Garmin caps in all the years I've had them.

Old 01-11-2023 | 01:04 PM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Why the difference in temperature between front and rear?
Heat from the exhaust pipes…system was installed 1/2 hour after I rode home from work

Last edited by JINKSTER; 01-11-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2023 | 01:18 PM
dbarbee
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TireMinder, am I the only one using that brand of TPMS?

I've had TireMinder on our travel trailer for the last several years with no issues so that's the brand I stuck with when I put a TPMS system on my wife's new Heritage and my new utility trailer. The TireMinder Motorcycle TPMS also connects BT to a phone and doesn't need a separate monitor. Their motorcycle kit costs $100 so I'm curious what the difference is compared to the systems mentioned in this thread that were significantly less.

My reasons for wanting TPMS on our motorcycles were twofold:

First to avoid the inevitable dance of rolling the bike forward and back in a limited space trying to find the valve stem and then having to get on the ground to check it and add air. (I'm not as flexible as I used to be)

Second, and most important to me, is early warning that a tire is losing air while I'm riding before its low enough to see or feel a difference so I have time to get off the road before it becomes dangerously low. It will also let me know how fast its losing air so I can make the decision to get off the road immediately or if I have time to get to a better place first.

As far as rubber vs metal valve stems, all of the tires I have the sensors on are rubber stems and I haven't had any issues. (yet) Maybe at the next tire change I'll consider swapping to metal stems.

Old 01-11-2023 | 06:59 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Anyone use a version that is NOT app based? I don’t mount my phone on the bars as I keep it in my pocket. I’ve seen some on Amazon with a small LCD display to mount on bars or fairing.

Goose_NC (01-14-2023)
Old 01-11-2023 | 09:19 PM
RichM752
Road Master

Jeez Louise. When did tire pressure become such a big deal? I check my tire pressure maybe 6-7 times a year.
If I'm on a road trip with extra weight I'll add a couple of pounds.
Been doing this for so many years now I can't count.
A tire pressure app? Really?
What's next?
A fuel tank app?

The following 2 users liked this post by RichM752:
Goose_NC (01-14-2023), talkingrock (02-17-2023)
Old 01-12-2023 | 02:05 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
Anyone use a version that is NOT app based? I don’t mount my phone on the bars as I keep it in my pocket. I’ve seen some on Amazon with a small LCD display to mount on bars or fairing.
I just opted for something that doesn't need an extra display, again something that you have to mount on your handlebar and doesn't make the bike any nicer. The apps are equipped with an alarm, if the tire pressure
falls too low (you set the limit yourself) the app gives a warning signal. So there is no need for a display that you have to keep an eye on all the time. However, if you want this, no problem that exists.

These also exist, of course, with the internal sensors....

Calif Fat Bob (01-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)