2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023 | 05:05 PM
jj14x
Advanced

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
I have no problem with batteries running out quickly in the Fobo's but I also never leave the app on. I only use it just before I'm going for a ride and sometimes when I think about it to check all the bikes in the garage and then I put the pressure on all the tires at once.
I then do my rounds with the Makita air pump on a battery, that's easy. Maybe the cause of the fast draining of the batteries is that you leave the app on all the time, even when you're not driving, I'm not an expert, but maybe those sensors are always in contact with the app and they don't go to rest.
I made it a point to close out the app on the phone once I checked the pressure (even before I start riding). Yes, I know, I am losing out the benefit of having the app tell me if I have low pressure due to a nail or some damage to the tire, but I keep my phone in my jacket pocket (not on the handlebar. So, I am not going to see the notification soon enough. If I leave the app/service running on the phone, it will actually cause my phone to drain battery too soon too

Originally Posted by T^2
Location services is needed to get barometric pressure from your phone. You'll need that to get gauge pressure.
Perhaps - but precise location is not required.

Last edited by jj14x; 05-19-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2023 | 06:39 PM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by jj14x
I made it a point to close out the app on the phone once I checked the pressure (even before I start riding). Yes, I know, I am losing out the benefit of having the app tell me if I have low pressure due to a nail or some damage to the tire, but I keep my phone in my jacket pocket (not on the handlebar. So, I am not going to see the notification soon enough. If I leave the app/service running on the phone, it will actually cause my phone to drain battery too soon too

LOL! Don't worry about location services for barometric pressure cause some of these folks have lost their marbles. The most valuable thing about a TPMS is it teaches people just how much tire pressure varies from cold out of the garage too hot on the roads and if anyone needs a TPMS to immediately report in real time that their tire pressure is getting low they shouldn't even own a motorcycle! LOL!

Old 05-19-2023 | 10:46 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jj14x

Perhaps?

Old 05-19-2023 | 10:51 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
LOL! Don't worry about location services for barometric pressure cause some of these folks have lost their marbles. The most valuable thing about a TPMS is it teaches people just how much tire pressure varies from cold out of the garage too hot on the roads and if anyone needs a TPMS to immediately report in real time that their tire pressure is getting low they shouldn't even own a motorcycle! LOL!
It's called knowledge of some basic physics. You don't need to buy a TPMS for that.

Also... See the previous reply.

Last edited by T^2; 05-19-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2023 | 04:06 AM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by T^2
It's called knowledge of some basic physics. You don't need to buy a TPMS for that.

Also... See the previous reply.
Ever notice how no matter how knowledgeable the professor seemed that they all still remained stuck on Gilligan's Island?

I'd rather know my bike than physics and I don't need to be a physics major to know when one of my tires are getting low on air. It's called riding experience. It happens when you spend more time on the road than in a classroom or trolling the net.

Old 05-20-2023 | 05:27 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

It does help me to choose a bike where the tire pressure is still good to ride and doesn't have to inflate first

The following users liked this post:
JINKSTER (05-20-2023)
Old 05-21-2023 | 12:56 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
I have no problem with batteries running out quickly in the Fobo's but I also never leave the app on. I only use it just before I'm going for a ride and sometimes when I think about it to check all the bikes in the garage and then I put the pressure on all the tires at once.
I then do my rounds with the Makita air pump on a battery, that's easy. Maybe the cause of the fast draining of the batteries is that you leave the app on all the time, even when you're not driving, I'm not an expert, but maybe those sensors are always in contact with the app and they don't go to rest.
Fobo batteries last me a year. And I ride a lot. I change them at the start of every riding season.

I also have a Makita LXT pump. Awesome bit of kit and makes airing up my vehicles super easy. Recommended.

Old 05-21-2023 | 01:00 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
Ever notice how no matter how knowledgeable the professor seemed that they all still remained stuck on Gilligan's Island?

I'd rather know my bike than physics and I don't need to be a physics major to know when one of my tires are getting low on air. It's called riding experience. It happens when you spend more time on the road than in a classroom or trolling the net.
If you don't understand basic physics (and maths) then you don't understand how the world (solar system, galaxy, universe, etc...) works. And if you don't know that, then you wont be getting the best out of your bike.

Physics is cool. And you'd be surprised how many people ride around with tyres incorrectly inflated. When you only have a couple of small contact patches keeping you alive, I would rather my tyres are correctly inflated.....

Old 05-22-2023 | 12:51 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
Fobo batteries last me a year. And I ride a lot. I change them at the start of every riding season.

Yeah I do the same, have it on my agenda and replace them once a year.