2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023 | 05:06 PM
HD_noobie
Road Master

Sent my Leepee TPMS back
The problem with these were once "asleep " it detects vibration to wake up. So you have to be riding to get real time psi.
I don't want to have to take off to realize my tire is low, the compressor is back in the garage.

So I did what I should have and bought the FOBO 2
It shows an elapsed time from last refresh
The sensors wake up as soon as you're close to the bike with the app open.
Much nicer than the Veepee system

Old 01-31-2023 | 05:35 PM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD_noobie
Sent my Leepee TPMS back
The problem with these were once "asleep " it detects vibration to wake up. So you have to be riding to get real time psi.
I don't want to have to take off to realize my tire is low, the compressor is back in the garage.

So I did what I should have and bought the FOBO 2
It shows an elapsed time from last refresh
The sensors wake up as soon as you're close to the bike with the app open.
Much nicer than the Veepee system
That’s a shame especially since it’s actually false info and probably the result of very little patience. After reading your claims I went out to the garage and checked again (to make sure my old butt ain’t going crazy) and brought up the app and without rolling my bike so much as a fraction of an inch I just shook the handlebars as it sat parked upright in its Baxley wheel chock and it did take about 10-15 seconds for both caps to wake up, sense pressure and temp and then transmit and change the readings on my app before my very eyes…10-15 seconds…zero roll…just a shake of the handlebars. Enjoy your new FOBO caps

The following users liked this post:
elPrez (05-13-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 02:29 AM
HD_noobie
Road Master

I shook the handlebars and it woke the front but not the rear, rolled my bike about 3 feet and nothing.
Perhaps mine are defective but I don't want to have shake and dance before I take off.

I do want to say thanks for this topic.
whether I got this one or that one I didn't even know these things existed.

Last edited by HD_noobie; 02-01-2023 at 05:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JINKSTER (02-01-2023)
Old 02-17-2023 | 01:45 PM
JINKSTER
|
Road Master

I guess 5 weeks constitutes a midterm review of my LeePee TPMS and for $35? I still couldn't be happier and the real reason I'm reviving this thread is because I also haven't needed to bring my AP back up to snuff until now. My rear is holding its own at 39-42psi pending temps and such but the front has dropped a couple pounds and is down in the 36-37'ish psi range point being pre TPMS caps I was airing up one or both every 1-2 weeks (by a couple/few pounds) but it seems the TPMS caps are facilitating a better airlock of the stem somehow.

Just wanted to mention that and so far so good.

Old 05-13-2023 | 07:21 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

I'm also revisiting this thread because my 05 Ultra died and I just picked up a 14 Limited. I posted about my sudden loss of pressure due to the Garmin cap striking my rear brake caliper at high speed ripping the valve stem in half. I added metal T valves and all was fine. The stems on the old bike were at an angle but the new stems on the 14 are straight up from the rim and much shorter. I'm not going to be using the Garmin caps since the Limited has a GPS so I'm looking at both the FOBO2 and LeePee units. Are those with the shorter straight stem having any issue with the caps damaging the stems? I assume they wont bend with centrifugal force since there's no angle and the newer stem is almost half the length of the old stem.

Old 05-13-2023 | 10:34 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
Okay…two things.

1: I don’t doubt you but I did a fair amount of review reading and never encountered anyone reporting what you are describing. I think the most complaints came from folks claiming they couldn’t get the caps to bind with the app and they were the same folks who failed to realize that they needed to disassemble the caps first to remove the coin battery insulators and…

2: My valve stem would have to be about 2-3” inches longer than it is to even come close to making contact with rear brake rotor or cylinder…

Same thing I was thinking. I was trying to picture the stem bending that far, doesn't seem possible. Anyway, I don't have the metal stems and so far, so good.

The following 2 users liked this post by tmac00333:
elPrez (05-13-2023), JINKSTER (05-13-2023)
Old 05-16-2023 | 04:58 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Same thing I was thinking. I was trying to picture the stem bending that far, doesn't seem possible. Anyway, I don't have the metal stems and so far, so good.
As I said originally, mine was a 2007 Street Glide wheel which had a much longer rubber valve stem and was at an angle. Trust me, I hit 80 and the Garmin cap (a little heavier and taller than the Fobo) bent just enough to strike the rear caliber. Ripped the stem in half so the it was just hanging on by a small portion and the Garmin cap was busted and stopped working.

Old 05-19-2023 | 10:41 AM
jj14x
Advanced

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
have a set of FOBO for my bike that I will never install. The FOBO app requires access to the phone location and communication. It reports tracking information for whatever usage they desire. I thought I'd be able to use a phone I have that the Bluetooth still work on. But FOBO requires an active phone, according to their instructions.

So no TPMS for me on the bike.
Ditto - I have the FOBO bike 2, and with some changes they made to the app last year, they have asked for way too many permissions. If you deny those permissions, the app will just not work.
  • "Photos/media/files" & "Storage" - I understand they need that permission to allow user to upload the image of their bike if they want a custom image. But if user doesn't want custom image, then, let user deny that permission.
  • Contacts - for me to view my tire pressure, the app does NOT need access to my contacts
  • Camera - why? to scan a QR code in a manual?
  • Precise location (or even approximate) - why? Just report on the tire pressure
  • Wifi connection information - why? Why does this TPMS app need to know SSID details about the Wifi networks at my residence?
I did reach out to Fobo support btw, and they were responsive at least. They said that location permission is needed for features like group ride and auto night mode - if I don't use those, and value my location information more, then let me deny the permission. They said "we will consider it" - that was last year.

Also, the battery seems to die every other month. They said "maybe you are using fake batteries" - and I get it. Batteries from amazon/ebay are notorious for being fake. So I bought from the nearby lowes - no difference. So, I'm back to checking tire pressure manually now.

Old 05-19-2023 | 11:25 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jj14x
Ditto - I have the FOBO bike 2, and with some changes they made to the app last year, they have asked for way too many permissions. If you deny those permissions, the app will just not work.
  • "Photos/media/files" & "Storage" - I understand they need that permission to allow user to upload the image of their bike if they want a custom image. But if user doesn't want custom image, then, let user deny that permission.
  • Contacts - for me to view my tire pressure, the app does NOT need access to my contacts
  • Camera - why? to scan a QR code in a manual?
  • Precise location (or even approximate) - why? Just report on the tire pressure
  • Wifi connection information - why? Why does this TPMS app need to know SSID details about the Wifi networks at my residence?
I did reach out to Fobo support btw, and they were responsive at least. They said that location permission is needed for features like group ride and auto night mode - if I don't use those, and value my location information more, then let me deny the permission. They said "we will consider it" - that was last year.

Also, the battery seems to die every other month. They said "maybe you are using fake batteries" - and I get it. Batteries from amazon/ebay are notorious for being fake. So I bought from the nearby lowes - no difference. So, I'm back to checking tire pressure manually now.
Location services is needed to get barometric pressure from your phone. You'll need that to get gauge pressure.

Old 05-19-2023 | 11:34 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

I have no problem with batteries running out quickly in the Fobo's but I also never leave the app on. I only use it just before I'm going for a ride and sometimes when I think about it to check all the bikes in the garage and then I put the pressure on all the tires at once.
I then do my rounds with the Makita air pump on a battery, that's easy. Maybe the cause of the fast draining of the batteries is that you leave the app on all the time, even when you're not driving, I'm not an expert, but maybe those sensors are always in contact with the app and they don't go to rest.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure (there’s an app for that)