2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 01:21 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,789 Likes on 2,370 Posts

I'm getting a head start on this while I wait for the UPS truck, so I thought I would start posting what may be more info than you want.

This first photo shows the issue. I'm sitting on the bike with it as close to upright as I can. When I deploy the kick stand it hits the ground around 3" before it is in the fully extended position. If you're not paying attention it will fall over because it is not locked in place.

This photo shows the kick stand fully forward, and you can see the scrape mark it left on my garage floor as I pushed it forward. Not a very good angle in the photo, but you can see how the tip of the foot is pointed into the floor. This is what causes it to dig into whatever surface you are parking on. It won't slide across the pavement like a real Jiffy stand does.

This photo shows it fully deployed and the bike parked and leaning on it. Note how flat the foot is on the floor.

Remove these 2 cap screws with a 5/16 allen socket and it just falls off the bike.

Use a thread chaser to clean the loctite out of the threads or suffer later.

This is all there is to it. You can see where I had previously radiused the edges of the foot in an effort to get it to quit digging into the pavement. It helped, but very little.

I'll be back with more in a little while once the Yaffee part shows up.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:16 PM
Grand HDF Member

As expected from Yaffee, this is a quality piece. Here's what it comes with. I didn't need to use the rubber bumper, but you might.

This view shows the angle that the kickstand will be mounted at. The mount is laying on the surface that will go up against the frame.

The 2 cap screws circled come with the kit, and the longer one is used in the rear position. Don't forget your blue Loctite, and the torque spec is 40-45 ft lbs.

Mount installed and torqued. You can see that the new fastener location for the stand is down and forward around an inch-ish.

A different view of it mounted showing the new angled mounting surface.

Kickstand mounted.

Much better position of the foot which will allow it to slide over any surface you park on as opposed to digging into the pavement.

The only negative thing I can say about it is that the bike leans over further on the stand which requires more effort to get the bike upright. Not at all a problem for me, but my skinny *** wife is struggling with it, and it's her bike. I keep telling her it's technique not strength, and she said she's not buying that and now she's pissed at me LOL! I have a friend who's a retired Vegas PD motorcycle instructor who will be here in an hour. She listens to him without getting pissed. Ha!

So there you have it, hope it helps. For me personally, it fixed one problem and caused another. She'll just need to learn a new method to get the bike up because I don't want her dumping it because of the shitty kickstand.

Bottom line - highly recommend it on a Heritage, but have no experience with this crappy stand on other Softails.

The following 3 users liked this post by 702:
Gizmo83 (05-03-2024), tmac00333 (12-06-2022), WP50 (12-08-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 03:51 PM
Beemertrash
Road Captain
Received 472 Likes on 232 Posts

Good write up and pictures, thanks, I get mine tomorrow.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:02 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Excellent write-up. Man that thing does lean hard to the left...

Old 08-11-2022, 04:16 PM
MrLongbeard
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm not digging that small contact patch, I don't reckon it'd do well parking up on grass or tarmac, especially with the added lean over angle.
Might not be an issue for you lot as IIRC you've a lot of concrete but over here most road / car parks are tarmac which can get a wee bit soft

The following users liked this post:
natural gasser (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 04:22 PM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702

The only negative thing I can say about it is that the bike leans over further on the stand which requires more effort to get the bike upright. Not at all a problem for me, but my skinny *** wife is struggling with it, and it's her bike. I keep telling her it's technique not strength, and she said she's not buying that and now she's pissed at me LOL! I have a friend who's a retired Vegas PD motorcycle instructor who will be here in an hour. She listens to him without getting pissed. Ha!

So there you have it, hope it helps. For me personally, it fixed one problem and caused another. She'll just need to learn a new method to get the bike up because I don't want her dumping it because of the shitty kickstand.
This problem is now resolved. First thing my buddy said to her was that it's all technique and not strength, I laughed so hard I almost puked! He showed her a couple different methods and she's happy now. Thank god!!

The following 2 users liked this post by 702:
DaveyFB (08-11-2022), roadkinglobo (05-02-2024)
Old 08-11-2022, 04:23 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Thumbs up Fix Stand Discounts

I order the Fix Stand yesterday. There is a current 15% discount on this part, no sales tax to non-Arizona customers, plus free shipping. This makes the net price of the Fix Stand about 23% lower and free shipping. Will also send comments and pictures once received and installed on my 2019 FXLR.

The following users liked this post:
sherob (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Excellent write-up. Man that thing does lean hard to the left...
It's OK, really. It's very comparable to the 2009 Heritage I once had.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:28 PM
sherob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,883 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLongbeard
I'm not digging that small contact patch, I don't reckon it'd do well parking up on grass or tarmac, especially with the added lean over angle.
Might not be an issue for you lot as IIRC you've a lot of concrete but over here most road / car parks are tarmac which can get a wee bit soft
Carry a kickstand or jiffystand plate, or just crush a can like we did in the old days.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.shoputahharley.com/produ...hoCxuAQAvD_BwE

The following 2 users liked this post by sherob:
Las Vegas Jim (08-11-2022), WP50 (12-08-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 05:00 PM
MrLongbeard
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sherob
Carry a kickstand or jiffystand plate
I do already, comes in handy for parking up on grass verges, but it's not something I want to be messing about more with.

I'll have a look see at my FXFBS at the weekend as I can't remember ever having to consciously do the tip to the right to fully deploy my stand as shown above, so may not even be an issue for me.

Quick Reply: Kickstand