2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 07:24 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master
Received 880 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I don't see why you think this will be a problem with the FixStand. All the FixStand does is change the angle of the stand a bit. The jiffy stand will still lock in position when the weight of the bike rests on it, and it will still unlock when the weight is taken off, regardless of whether there's a slightly different angle or not. Accordingly, the stand will still retract instantly if it touches the ground.

So where is the safety compromised?
Actually I didn’t intend the pic to include itself in the quote so my response is not directed exclusively at this “Fixstand” product but rather the shorter alternatives however I don’t feel this fixstand product is necessary nor do I feel its safe because speaking as an aerospace machinist?…changing the angle of the stand is not cool in that it puts an elevated level of leverage against the back of the stand leg with a shallower angle that causes far more lean weight against the stand leg which apparently can lead to stripped screw holes in what I suspect is an aluminum aftermarket block and if that’s the case?…at the very least those threads should have been upgraded to 17-4 helicoiled threaded holes and not just aluminum threads but here again we’re discussing the repair of what isn’t broken.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:46 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
but here again we’re discussing the repair of what isn’t broken.
If you're only ever parking on level ground, ok. Or ground that's lower on the bike's left than it is on the bike's right, ok. But try it on the side of a road, where the ground is higher on the bike's left than its right, and it's a whole different story. Anywhere where there's more than a few degrees of incline, it's difficult, or dangerous, or impossible to get the jiffy stand down. There's only so far someone can lean the bike to the right to get the stand down. I consider it enough of a problem that I've ordered one of these FixStands to see if it helps.

Old 12-09-2022, 06:25 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

If you're only ever parking on level ground, ok. Or ground that's lower on the bike's left than it is on the bike's right, ok. But try it on the side of a road, where the ground is higher on the bike's left than its right, and it's a whole different story. Anywhere where there's more than a few degrees of incline, it's difficult, or dangerous, or impossible to get the jiffy stand down. There's only so far someone can lean the bike to the right to get the stand down. I consider it enough of a problem that I've ordered one of these FixStands to see if it helps.
I get, understand and have suffered all the very things you mention above now let's see if you can get and understand what it is I'm so desperately trying to convey here...

If you lift your *** up off the bike as supported by your right leg the bikes suspension will decompress and the frame of your bike (the part the jiffy-stand is attached to) will rise upwards creating enough ground clearance for the stock jiffy-stand to freely swing down and forward into position with zero ground contact before getting there.

Now there's a technique to it that I actually had to practice a couple times to execute the move smoothly but as a 64 year old post stroke diabetic?...if I can do it?...and it's simply a matter of the rider getting their *** off the seat before and/or as they deploy the jiffy-stand.

It's becoming apparent to me that I very well may have to make a demonstration video.

The following users liked this post:
roadkinglobo (05-02-2024)
Old 12-09-2022, 12:03 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Jinkster, I understand EXACTLY what you're saying, to the letter. I have tested it on my Fat Bob, I set the bike exactly level and with no weight on it, and at the full height of its unladen suspension the jiffy stand does not impact the pavement before reaching full extension. It clears the ground by about half a millimeter, but it does clear the ground. It doesn't dig into the garage floor, it fully extends, if you're not on the bike and it's held fully level. I get it.

Now please try to understand what I'm saying: your technique ONLY works on LEVEL ground. The jiffy stand on a 2018+ softail is absolutely hazardous to try to park when the ground is sloping downward, high on the left and lower on the right. That's the situation I'm trying to address here. Go park on the side of any country backroad, or try to. All the roads around here are peaked in the middle and slope downwards to either side. Because we drive on the right side of the road, that means that the street is not level ground, it is a slope downwards from the left side of the bike to the right. In that scenario, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the jiffy stand down, without leaning the bike significantly to the right, and frequently dangerously to the right.

Heck, just try it in your own driveway. Park normally, bike pointed towards the garage, and you'll have no problem using your technique. Park with the bike perpendicular to the driveway, facing left, and you'll be able to. Park with the bike perpendicular to the driveway, facing right, and you'll find you've got to lean it, sometimes significantly, and sometimes it's impossible and dangerous to even try. Yet that's the situation some of us find ourselves in occasionally, either stopping on the side of the road or parking in a sloping parking lot. You can usually fix it by muscling the bike around 180 degrees, but it's a pain.

Obviously there are going to be some places where it's just not appropriate to try to park facing that way, I get that. But I run into it all the time, in places where I think it should be reasonable to expect that I should be able to park there. If the FixStand changes the angle of the jiffy stand enough to minimize the times when this is a problem, and to minimize the danger when you don't have much of a choice, then it's probably worth it. But I don't know yet, I don't have it, it's not due to arrive for a couple of days so I haven't tried it.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 12-09-2022 at 12:08 PM.
JINKSTER (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 12:56 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Jinkster, I understand EXACTLY what you're saying, to the letter. I have tested it on my Fat Bob, I set the bike exactly level and with no weight on it, and at the full height of its unladen suspension the jiffy stand does not impact the pavement before reaching full extension. It clears the ground by about half a millimeter, but it does clear the ground. It doesn't dig into the garage floor, it fully extends, if you're not on the bike and it's held fully level. I get it.

Now please try to understand what I'm saying: your technique ONLY works on LEVEL ground. The jiffy stand on a 2018+ softail is absolutely hazardous to try to park when the ground is sloping downward, high on the left and lower on the right. That's the situation I'm trying to address here. Go park on the side of any country backroad, or try to. All the roads around here are peaked in the middle and slope downwards to either side. Because we drive on the right side of the road, that means that the street is not level ground, it is a slope downwards from the left side of the bike to the right. In that scenario, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the jiffy stand down, without leaning the bike significantly to the right, and frequently dangerously to the right.

Heck, just try it in your own driveway. Park normally, bike pointed towards the garage, and you'll have no problem using your technique. Park with the bike perpendicular to the driveway, facing left, and you'll be able to. Park with the bike perpendicular to the driveway, facing right, and you'll find you've got to lean it, sometimes significantly, and sometimes it's impossible and dangerous to even try. Yet that's the situation some of us find ourselves in occasionally, either stopping on the side of the road or parking in a sloping parking lot. You can usually fix it by muscling the bike around 180 degrees, but it's a pain.

Obviously there are going to be some places where it's just not appropriate to try to park facing that way, I get that. But I run into it all the time, in places where I think it should be reasonable to expect that I should be able to park there. If the FixStand changes the angle of the jiffy stand enough to minimize the times when this is a problem, and to minimize the danger when you don't have much of a choice, then it's probably worth it. But I don't know yet, I don't have it, it's not due to arrive for a couple of days so I haven't tried it.
Duly noted and I agree…there would be may circumstances other than perfectly level that could be problematic if not downright risky.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:13 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
Duly noted and I agree…there would be may circumstances other than perfectly level that could be problematic if not downright risky.
The FixStand may help with that problem, but it will likely create a couple more, being exaggerated lean angle and inaccurate oil level readings.

I almost wish I could have a second, shorter, emergency backup kickstand, maybe 2-3" shorter for those cambered parking times. Or an additional right-side kickstand. Man, that'd solve everything. But for now I will experiment with the FixStand and see if it makes a notable difference.

JINKSTER (12-09-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 10:30 AM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 332 Likes on 236 Posts

I am interested in the FixStand or possibly the Imzz. But I have the 1.75" Bunk King extension so it already has too much gangsta lean. Plus when I find one I plan to swap the 43mm for a 56mm rear shock. This part pictured above has 1.5" kickstand lift. Curious if anyone has used it? Thoughts on it?