2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Fuel Gauge INOP After Flash

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 12:10 AM
Ampfore
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge INOP After Flash

I decided that the throttle response on my Sport Glide was a tad bit slow, and I have a Stage I with a FP3 (please no comments about the tuner, I bought the bike used 2 months ago and this is what they put on it)

I flashed the ecu with a step up on the throttle advance, and after the flash my clock reset, and my fuel gauge is inop with remaining range now shows “Low”.

Is this normal. Will it correct itself after a few miles or do I have to reset it?

Old 07-28-2022, 07:46 AM
Jeremy Belko
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Make sure you fuel pump plug-in is all the way in

Will the bike start? Sometimes the plug-in for the fuel pump will come loose and need to be pushed in. If bike starts, then reflash to stock map and run a tank through then flash again. Try to eliminate variables.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:59 AM
Ampfore
Advanced

I’m certain the flash knocked it offline some how because the clock also had to be reset. Bike starts, I did reflash back to stock and same thing. Reset the clock and gauge reads empty and range reads “LOW”, oh, and the no fuel light is in the cluster.

I hope it just needs to recalibrate or something. Or is there a precdure to reset the gauge like the clock.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:33 AM
bdehlin
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll need to reset your system switches following the instructions in the video:

Old 07-28-2022, 11:57 AM
Ampfore
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdehlin
You'll need to reset your system switches following the instructions in the video: https://youtu.be/42FmVFGc5UI
Thank You!

I believe this is my exact issue as I just realized that my cruise was also INOP during my ride into work today.

Will do this procedure and report back.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:17 PM
Ampfore
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdehlin
You'll need to reset your system switches following the instructions in the video: https://youtu.be/42FmVFGc5UI
Hmm, the cruise control is now working, but fuel gauge is still INOP.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:43 AM
Ampfore
Advanced
Default Fixed!

So I figured it out and posting this for anyone that might have the same problem.

I decided to drop by the dealer and ask them if they have any suggestions. Nope! This particular HD dealer says they don’t work with the Fuelpak, and if they take a bike in on trade and it has one, the chuck it. Okay then

The SA did say something interesting. He said what they would do is flash it back to stock. Now, I knew what then meant, they’d flash it back to stock, tell me they got the fuel gauge to work, then they would say, you got an exhaust and filter, you need to buy a PowerVision for $500, $150 diag, and $150 to reflash back to Stage I.

This is now the option of last resort. Now, I had vaguely remembered someone had some problem, and they had to flash back to stock to fix it. In there case they had to replace all the aftermarket stuff which was a pain. But I have a stage 1, it’s just an exhaust and airfilter. I will flash back to stock and see what happens.

I flash back, well what do you know, gas guage and cruise are working, and, I didn’t have to reset the clock. I reflash again for the exhaust and air filter stage I. BAM! Fuel Guage still working, cruise working, clock didn’t have to be reset.

That’s how I fixed it, flash back to stock, then re-flash to Stage I.

BTW, I did not reflash to the advanced throttle. I’m leaving well enough alone. Xl

The following users liked this post:
rigidthumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 01:05 PM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

just for your info, Stage 1 doesn't require a tuner or flash. The ECM has enough delta to handle the A/C and more open exhaust. Stage 1 also makes little difference in how the bike performs, at least in terms of stage 1 in the past with the twin cam and earlier bikes. Stage 1 is a gateway drug to stage 11, which will require a tune AND will wake the thing up. Trust me, I have owned 3 milwaukee 8's so far, and been thru all this. my current Heritage(2018) 114 has stage 11, with SE tuner and cam, S&S lifters and cuffs. I couldn't be happier, pulls like a tractor, and purrs like a kitten.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:40 PM
Ampfore
Advanced

Originally Posted by billbrummett
just for your info, Stage 1 doesn't require a tuner or flash. The ECM has enough delta to handle the A/C and more open exhaust. Stage 1 also makes little difference in how the bike performs, at least in terms of stage 1 in the past with the twin cam and earlier bikes. Stage 1 is a gateway drug to stage 11, which will require a tune AND will wake the thing up. Trust me, I have owned 3 milwaukee 8's so far, and been thru all this. my current Heritage(2018) 114 has stage 11, with SE tuner and cam, S&S lifters and cuffs. I couldn't be happier, pulls like a tractor, and purrs like a kitten.
Nothing I have ever read said the ecu could handle an exhaust and a high flow airfilter. I have read the ecu can handle an exhaust.

the moment you open up the intake you bike will run lean, so something has to compensate. It the ecu can do it alone, cool.

The Fuelpak was already on the bike when I bought it, and the dude I bought it from installed the stage I parts at time of sale. I can only assume he did that to keep his warranty. If it didn’t have the stage I parts I doubt I would do any of it. Now that I have them for free, will I do a stage II? I don’t know. I’m considering it.

Anyway. I confirmed the Fuelpak will not load correctly with the throttle advance, I was able to recreate the issue. Once the fuel guage is INOP the the only way to get it back is to flash back to stock and start over without the throttle advance.

The part that bothers me is I don’t know if I can trust the Fuelpak for anything else. I do like the view sensor data feature. If I go stage II it would be nice not to have to buy another tuner.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:33 AM
Stupidbutt
Advanced
Received 404 Likes on 75 Posts

I had the same problem with my FXLR. When flashed it lost the fuel gauge.
I contacted V&H and the tech said the gauge was dissabled in the new tune. He reenabled it and I downloaded the new tune and it has worked since.
He said it was in the tune area that we could not modify so they had to do it. Basically they forgot to enable it in their canned tune, ooops.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge INOP After Flash