2018+ Softail Models Breakout

new 2020 softail standard...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 08:36 PM
Scotty Softail
Advanced
Received 105 Likes on 29 Posts
Default new 2020 softail standard...

so i was gifted a 2020 softail standard. and knowing absolutely nothing about the new harley motor and or this style bike, i'm ready to jump in and start building this thing up!
ive been on here before and posted over 2000+ posts about my blacked out 2014 sportster 48 i customized and about other motorcycle topics.... so i'm not really new, just took a break.

So ive already put a bigger tank on, it's an OEM softail slim tank...& ive already added new handlebars that i don't like, so i'll be switching them out again. i think i'll try a 3" drag bar first. since i already have them in the garage. they're black, so i might chrome them so they match the fork & front end. not looking to black it out fully yet. i also dont want the black bars to clash with the chrome/aluminum fork. if i dont like these 3" bars, i also have a pair of new in the box, wild one chubby 16" black 1 1/4" apes, so that's another option. ...i already have a gloss black S&S cover ready to switch out, the motor is a little too bright for me lol...i'm going to switch out the grips i put on, i have the nostalgia grips now, not too fond of them.maybe black stock ones or avon. while i do that, i might black out the mirrors & levers since the grips will be black also..
.i have the mid pegs now, but i'm more comfortable with forward controls. my inner calf always hits the mids when i lift my legs to find them...so i'll be going with stock harley black foward controls, with mini floorboards as pegs like i had on the 48.
i dont mind the exhaust, but i prefer black pipes. i also like that they aren't loud, cops are busting ***** here in new york now since Diblasio let the animals take over the city. so i'm trying to find similar pipes in black...
i'm definitely going to wrinkle black the primary cover, maybe the points cover and tranny cover also. but those 2 are still just an idea.
next..., a lepera solo seat, and chopped rear fender...and i'm done! lol
although, after a couple of years,i could end up painting the whole bike denim black and blacking out the motor and fork to make it look similar to my 48. i loved that bike...lol
i'll keep everyone posted....

the 3" drag bars...

my denim black sportster 48

the 48 in midnight blue

the 2020 softail standard

the 2020 softail standard

Last edited by Scotty Softail; 07-21-2022 at 08:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scotty Softail:
Glenn Gorman (07-22-2022), OldMike (07-22-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:17 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,908 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Hold up... Who put the Heritage/Deluxe exhaust on your bike?
That looks kinda nice.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:27 AM
Scotty Softail
Advanced

yes, we switched out the pipes and fuel tank with a heritage/slim. dont remember exactly which model we switched with...

Old 07-22-2022, 07:35 AM
Scotty Softail
Advanced

so these were my first 2 bike's that i customized...lol
my 1993 fatboy...fully loaded with billet aluminum...& viper rims....
& my 1998 road king, blacked out & flamed by tiwiliger....

93 FAT BOY

93 FAT BOY BILLET...

98 ROAD KING...

98 ROAD KING...
1998 road king...blacked out when nobody was even doing black yet!

Last edited by Scotty Softail; 07-22-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:44 AM
Kycons
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Fellow NY’er here; new sleep act is BS, but I’ve heard from many officers of the law and dealerships that their practice won’t change. If you are worried I’m sure you could find some stock take of pipes with black heat shield from the streetbob. I’m keeping mine just in case SHTF.

I currently run V&H twin slash slip ons with black shields and chrome tips, the tad bit of chrome pairs nice with the other minimal chrome/silver bits on my bike. They also aren’t crazy loud, just a bit more sound then stock.

The following users liked this post:
Scotty Softail (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:24 AM
Scotty Softail
Advanced

So originally,a couple of years ago, when i saw the V&H mini grenades exhaust, i thought they were corny...after looking at them for a couple of years now, they're starting to grow on me...i think with the 3" drag bars, the shorter cut mini grenades might look cool on the standard,

Old 07-22-2022, 01:11 PM
Tha_Big_Ohh
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

For me the first things to go on my 2021 fxst were the seat and stock cans, followed by the license plate bracket, mid controls and most recently new bars, riser bushings and led signals front and rear.
I drilled the rear fender for a custom dynamics radius bracket and led frame and chopped the oem bracket up to use it for wire management on the right side. If you need any advice or help on exactly how I did it message me.
Its a fun bike to customize for sure. I’m just about done with mine, still thinking about a tank swap though.
have fun.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:38 PM
Scotty Softail
Advanced

Ha! i just saw your bike while i was searching solo seats! that seat looks cool on that bike! & good job on the plate frame, came out great!

Old 07-22-2022, 04:53 PM
Tha_Big_Ohh
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty Softail
Ha! i just saw your bike while i was searching solo seats! that seat looks cool on that bike! & good job on the plate frame, came out great!
thanks. I like the look and feel better vs the step ups, plus the solo gives me more freedom to move around since there’s no back support.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:11 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,908 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I like those pipes, the classic styling of that exhaust, it looks real good on that bike.

The following users liked this post:
Scotty Softail (07-23-2022)

Quick Reply: new 2020 softail standard...