2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Heritage 114 Handlebar Measurements

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 09:53 PM
High Mileage
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heritage 114 Handlebar Measurements

I plan on swapping handlebars on My 2021 Heritage 114 for more comfort. The Harley Davidson website has handlebar measurements for the Reach handlebars, Tallboy handlebars, etc. I cannot find published measurements for the OEM handlebars on my 2021 Heritage 114. The guys at the local dealership parts counter can't help me. I tried measuring my bars with a tape measure and I doubt I came up with the same numbers that HD did.

Does anyone know a source for the published measurements for my OEM handlebars, part #55800677? I am trying to find the base width, rise, pullback and tip to tip width per Harley for comparison to other handlebars.

Last edited by High Mileage; 06-16-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:18 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 563 Posts

Can I ask what does the measurements of thr original bars matter?

Measure end of grip to end of grip for the width. Don't forget, your risers are separate, Measure them too.

Last edited by Glenn Gorman; 06-17-2022 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:52 AM
Brian15
Tourer
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

I faced the same problem when I looked for new bars for my Deluxe. If you don't know your current measurements, you have no starting point to figure out what you need! I ended up switching from stock Deluxe bars to Heritage bars. The dealer told me the stock Heritage bar measurements are 10"R x 7"PB x 32-1/2"W. Hope that helps.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:16 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 350 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Brian15
I faced the same problem when I looked for new bars for my Deluxe. If you don't know your current measurements, you have no starting point to figure out what you need! I ended up switching from stock Deluxe bars to Heritage bars. The dealer told me the stock Heritage bar measurements are 10"R x 7"PB x 32-1/2"W. Hope that helps.
That sounds about right. I just got new handlebars on mine during the purchase. My previous owner had drag bars. Height was ok, but very little pullback. I can do that crap on a mountain bike for 10 miles on a trail, but NOT on a motorcycle for hundreds of miles. I need to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. But yes, all three measurements are critical when making your choice.

When deciding I was lucky enough to be able to sit on at least 4 bikes with various heights, styles, pullbacks etc. The parts guy was also VERY helpful and patient with me to order me what I wanted. In the end, I was extremely satisfied. I wasn't, however, "going in blind" I already had mini apes on my Wide Glide and had the measurements from those which I wanted to replicate on the Heritage.

Remember the stock riser gives you another 2" Lastly, in case it comes up, there are tons of threads here in HDF regarding needing new cables. I would read through those. Let your dealer or customize shop decide, but I think the rule of thumb is you may need new cables if you go higher than 13" or 14" overall. Again, that will depend on your spread and pullback too.

The following users liked this post:
Brian15 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 07:29 AM
High Mileage
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian15

Thank you. That does help.

I have had a little experience with this in the past. If three people measure the handlebars while they are still on the motorcycle, they come up with three slightly different measurements. If they measure the handlebars off the motorcycle while leaning them against a flat surface, their measurements are closer, but still a little different. Pulling the stock bars off the bike to measure them involves more than it would have before HD hid wires inside the handlebars.

It would be nice if I was able to take handlebars I am considering buying and hold them up to the OEM bars, but I cannot do that. The dealership does not have any of the handlebars I am considering in stock and I have to guess based on published measurements. At a minimum, I'll have to replace the upper front brake hose, so I only want to do this once.

Thanks for the help.

Brian15 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 07:49 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by High Mileage
Thank you. That does help.

I have had a little experience with this in the past. If three people measure the handlebars while they are still on the motorcycle, they come up with three slightly different measurements. If they measure the handlebars off the motorcycle while leaning them against a flat surface, their measurements are closer, but still a little different. Pulling the stock bars off the bike to measure them involves more than it would have before HD hid wires inside the handlebars.

It would be nice if I was able to take handlebars I am considering buying and hold them up to the OEM bars, but I cannot do that. The dealership does not have any of the handlebars I am considering in stock and I have to guess based on published measurements. At a minimum, I'll have to replace the upper front brake hose, so I only want to do this once.

Thanks for the help.
Yes it can be frustrating. You know what tastes good but you do not know the ingredients and cannot find a chef to make it. Like that analogy? LOL

I was lucky that the day I purchased mine, the dealership had various bikes (amazingly all late-model Heritage) with the various bars. I looked at their website ahead of time and I knew what they had on the floor. But yeah, it's not like you can take the parts guy around to other dealerships for a day and look at various bikes/bars.

And yeah, unless you really know your stuff, purchasing online to save a buck produces serious stress - before and after.

Lastly, I would add that in my experience apparently the HD service torque specifications for the riser clamp are under-rated. My bike was delivered in March. When I finally got it on the road for a test ride, the bars were loose. Not unsafe but I only got a mile down the road until I found my mirrors looking at my pipes and not the road behind me! They obviously didn't wait for a nice day to do a road test. I live in PA. I was in no hurry in February to take delivery FFS! So, with the dealership being 2 hours away (long story there also), I told them about it, but said I would handle it. I tightened the clamp myself to ride then a few weeks later I took it in locally for that once-over. They tightened them more but not as tight as I had done because a few days later, about 10 miles into a group ride, I found them slightly loose. JHC! My point is after you have all this in the bag, tighten the clamp yourself. You won't break it

Last edited by bduds65; 06-17-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:33 PM
702sparky
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just measured my OEM bars in the garage. 10 1/4" rise, 32" width, 7 1/2" pull back.

I went to 14" bars and torqued the riser clamp bolts to 15 ft-lbs. I have not had an issue with them moving

High Mileage (06-21-2022)