2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Engine aesthetics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 11:22 AM
gaagwyn
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorecapo
I love the all black look and once my LRS in 2020 arrived with the chrome lower rocker boxes (in Europe in 2020 all LRS arriving from Tahiland were like this) I was desperate...
So in winter I opened the top part of the engine, powder coated all chrome partes in black and added a S&S cam without the need of the adjustable push rods:

I’m liking this, liking it a lot!

That’s definitely more along the lines of what I was thinking!

Thanks for the post.

What cam are you running?

I’m thinking about using the S&S 475.

Did you use the stock tappets as well as pushrods?

Ty.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:19 PM
Lorecapo
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts

I was about to order the 475 ones, but my mechanic told me that with the 465 I could keep my standard tappets and valve springs so I took that ones.
I’m happy with them, they gave an extra push to an already very performing engine.
My bike is currently making a dedicated map and I’m curious to see its numbers on Friday when I’ll get it back.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:45 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by gaagwyn
I’ve currently got a Fatbob which has a chrome piece just above the cylinders.
(I will attach an image from the Harely site for reference)

The Streetbob and LRS have this blacked out.

As I’m going to be having my cam swapped out in the near future, I think this might be the perfect finishing piece to complement the black pushrod tubes and tappet covers.

Am I able to replace this item to complete my desired look?

If so, can anyone point me in the direction of this item so that I can way up if it’s worth the work/cost involved?

Thank you in advance
As others have said, you're talking about the lower rocker covers, and yes they can be replaced with black, or bronze to match your exhaust pipe's heat shield. Or you can get them coated, but be aware that they get really really hot, so regular powder coat may not be appropriate.

On my Fat Bob, I entertained going all black, but... I dunno, 100% black seems empty and flat to me, having some contrast is nice and really draws they eye to follow the lines. I went with a brass theme, and this is what my engine looks like:

May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I freaking love it. So yeah, whatever you want can be done, and the rocker covers weren't too expensive to have done, I think it was something like $400 to have them removed and reinstalled, plus the cost of the high temp GunKote coating.

Now they offer the lower rocker covers from the factory in bronze, as part of the 2020 Fat Boy Anniversary Edition. I think the part # is 25701250.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 05-30-2022 at 03:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gaagwyn (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 07:28 PM
gaagwyn
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lorecapo
I was about to order the 475 ones, but my mechanic told me that with the 465 I could keep my standard tappets and valve springs so I took that ones.
I’m happy with them, they gave an extra push to an already very performing engine.
My bike is currently making a dedicated map and I’m curious to see its numbers on Friday when I’ll get it back.
Very interesting, I hadn’t considered this route before you mentioned it.

I would be very eager to hear what sort of numbers it’s making, when you get it back.. dyno graph would be nice 😉

Do you happen to know if they changed the gaskets for the rocker while they were at it?

Old 06-01-2022, 03:50 AM
Lorecapo
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gaagwyn
Very interesting, I hadn’t considered this route before you mentioned it.

I would be very eager to hear what sort of numbers it’s making, when you get it back.. dyno graph would be nice 😉

Do you happen to know if they changed the gaskets for the rocker while they were at it?
I'll post the numbers for sure in my bike's thread next week.

Yes, I changed the gaskets even if the bike was pretty new, just to be on the safe side...