2018+ Softail Models Breakout

rear tire squares up

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022 | 10:06 PM
Deal Breaker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
Try some Metzeler Cruisetec tires. They are more rounded than Dunlops and have dual rubber compound to help keep the center from wearing too fast.
This^

See pics below showing profile of new vs OEM...

New Cruisetec

Old Dunlop OEM

Old 04-27-2022 | 04:39 AM
billbrummett
|
Tourer

agree with you guys, the biggest sweeper in Tampabay is a left turn at a light. it is what it is............

Old 04-27-2022 | 09:17 AM
motorend
Cruiser

Originally Posted by billbrummett
agree with you guys, the biggest sweeper in Tampabay is a left turn at a light. it is what it is............
Its not Florida riding that causes the squaring. All tires will eventually square off. There are plenty of curvy roads here in Lake county. The bike itself will not allow one to use the tire. I can drag both floorboards on my 21' Slim and still not come close to the wear indicators. Hell my crashbars will probably drag b4 I get withing a 1/8 inch of the sides of the tire. Even on the multiple sportbikes I've had that I eliminated almost all the chicken strips, they still will not wear evenly. Unless your running paces on trackdays with your supersport, your not going to have a worn rounded tire. I can't speak for the much flatter, wider, tire on the fatboy. But trying to wear the stock dunlops evenly on the other rides is going to be tough. I've even broke off feeler bolts on sportsters and the tires will still have a square profile over time.

That all being said, I've had tires that wear better on some sportbikes I've owned. They would have a harder tread in the center and softer on the sides. I believe one was the dunlop sportmax that was oem on an intercepter. Its not Florida, its not your riding habits, your always going to ride more straight then curves. Combine that with the bikes lean angle and it always going to result in a squared off tire. Outside of seeing a buddys track day tires, I've never seen an evenly worn tire. Obviously some riders will have a more pronounced flat spot than others, but all will have one b4 the side indicators are worn.

Old 04-28-2022 | 08:45 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

you in tampa?? come on up to the ocala and gainesville area. lots of twisties and great roads. we are only about 1 hr away. stay out of the cities. we can get that tire round again

Last edited by IBE; 04-28-2022 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2023 | 09:48 PM
Astro Glide
Cruiser

You might try lowering the air pressure in your rear tire by 3 or 4 psi to get a bigger "footprint" of rubber on the tarmac. This would spread the load of the rear tire over more square inches of rubber.
I don't know if they fit your bike rims, but the Dunlop 407's and 408's available from HD only, seem to have a LOT of hard tread in the middle. I have about 6.5k miles on my Sport Glide and the side tread measures currently 9/32" and a little over 6/32" in the center of the tread. The bike has been used mostly for interstate travel with maybe 20% twisties here in the mountains and canyons of Southern CA. I definitely feel Dunlop makes this out of a Touring compound, hard compound in the center, and at 64, I have no desire to test my pegs scraping in turns as a way to retain my Man Card. I've slowed down, gotta live long enough to spend some of the money I worked so hard for now that I'm retired.