2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Jump start a 2022 (probably any 2018+) Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022 | 04:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Never ever jump start a Harley except in an emergency. Be sure your battery is no more then a few years old and does not drop below 9.7 DC when cranking.

Then be sure to always kill engine to off on the key switch.

Always have a cellphone and if you really think it's necessary, towing on a rollback insurance.

Your safe to crisscross the US and back.

Your way over thinking things.

Old 04-17-2022 | 03:03 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Never ever jump start a Harley except in an emergency.
If you need to jump start it, it's almost always an emergency.

Old 04-17-2022 | 03:25 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
If you need to jump start it, it's almost always an emergency.
My guess is the exact opposite. As long as someone does what I said in the post above and are traveling and running it, it going to be a rare event.

People let them sit or leave the lights on till battery is dead.

Then they jump start it and
drive away maybe with a bad battery. Later, they cut it off only to find out they have fried the alternator or regulator.

And on a trip or not, that would suck big time. I'm 73 and never been stuck on the road but one time coming out of a doctor's office. And interesting enough, the battery has shorted inside. Didn't hurt anything but you really don't want to try to charge junk with a Harley.

But my suggestion was just my opinion. You do what's best for you always.

One gets warnings of a battery getting weak with grunts.

Draining it dead by accident, most of the time, a lot don't come back.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-17-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2022 | 12:42 PM
willcasp
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My guess is the exact opposite. As long as someone does what I said in the post above and are traveling and running it, it going to be a rare event.

People let them sit or leave the lights on till battery is dead.

Then they jump start it and
drive away maybe with a bad battery. Later, they cut it off only to find out they have fried the alternator or regulator.

And on a trip or not, that would suck big time. I'm 73 and never been stuck on the road but one time coming out of a doctor's office. And interesting enough, the battery has shorted inside. Didn't hurt anything but you really don't want to try to charge junk with a Harley.

But my suggestion was just my opinion. You do what's best for you always.

One gets warnings of a battery getting weak with grunts.

Draining it dead by accident, most of the time, a lot don't come back.
No disagreement that all other things being equal, a jumpstart is not a good thing.
I keep a li-ion battery back in my tool kit. On more than one group ride, I have been with a rider that has had a dead battery. A jump start got them to a location where there was service, or a phone. I will plug a tire for the same reason.
I have not needed to jumpstart my bikes. If a battery is dead in my garage, I get it replaced.
If I have a battery die on. the road, the plan is to jumpstart so that I can get to a place where I can either get it to a service center, or get somewhere that I can call for help. Still a lot of great places in the US with crappy cell phone coverage!

Old 04-19-2022 | 01:26 AM
atretes1
Road Master

Originally Posted by willcasp
I can't see how to get in there to the positive terminal. However, I think I have a better solution!

I checked to see if companies that build these Li-Ion packs have battery cable adapters that plug into their seemingly proprietary connectors. Turns out, Noco makes one. The Noco unit looks a lot like the Harley "Booster Portable Battery Pack". They may be the OEM. Not sure. However, here are the parts:
cable: https://no.co/gbc007
Li-Ion pack: https://no.co/gbx45. (one of the four supported models for this config)

Quick compare of the Harley device with the Noco GB40
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ack/p/66000130
https://no.co/gb40
I've been looking for the same solution. Does the cable you posted work in the Harley version for sure?

Old 04-19-2022 | 03:30 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by atretes1
I've been looking for the same solution. Does the cable you posted work in the Harley version for sure?
I should, but I can't say for sure. It looks like the HD jump pack IS the Noco GB40 unit. Exactly the same casing, placement of LEDs, spec etc...

Why not just buy the Noco harness and jump pack though? It's $30 cheaper because it doesn't have the HD logo on it.

Old 04-19-2022 | 11:00 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by adm
I should, but I can't say for sure. It looks like the HD jump pack IS the Noco GB40 unit. Exactly the same casing, placement of LEDs, spec etc...

Why not just buy the Noco harness and jump pack though? It's $30 cheaper because it doesn't have the HD logo on it.
If you guys are really worried about price just get this one:
Amazon Amazon

I have an older version of this model, and it's jumped my bike a few times just fine. Barely uses any battery to turn over my fat boy.
The jumper cable has a digital read out on it that shows voltage of the object you're connected too.
75$.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 04-19-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2022 | 11:40 AM
odie107
Stage II

THANK YOU
gary

Old 07-11-2022 | 01:24 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Riders Club Member

For all the time and money you guys are spending why don't you just replace the crap OEM battery with a Lithium? I just did for my Dyna and LOVE it! I'll be getting one for the wife's '22 FXBBS this coming winter...I'm sick of plugging that brand new bike in!

Old 07-11-2022 | 01:30 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought an extra jump cable for my Lithium jump box, attached ring terminal to it and attached it to the battery. I have it attached to the frame under the seat. So, if I ever have to jump on the road, I just pull off the seat, and attach the heavy duty pig tail to the jumper box.

I helped a friend jump his one time by connecting to the starter lug, and it was a PITA. My method is easy peasy now.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 07-11-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Jump start a 2022 (probably any 2018+) Fat Boy