2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 12:06 AM
JayMN
Advanced
Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Everything Low Rider ST Thread

WIth the Low Rider ST's starting to arrive at dealers now, I thought it might be time for a central location for FXLRST discussion.

Picked up mine today, will post my 30 mile review shortly.

The following 3 users liked this post by JayMN:
deadeye (04-17-2022), Ikelove (03-30-2024), Waydel (02-05-2023)

Top Answer

04-10-2022, 01:18 AM
JayMN
Advanced
Default 35 mile review, FXLRST

Hoping to hear thoughts from others as well. These things are just my opinions, perhaps not yours. Thirty-five miles is not far, and thoughts may change over time. With hardly any of these out there, I know there are many who are wondering about this bike. If you are looking for a short review, please skip to the next post. This is my 12th new Harley since 1993 so not really a "novice" like my profile suggests.

Got mine home today, put about 35 miles on it. Didn't get on it much yet, feels strong though. Here are my preliminary thoughts about the bike in general.

Seating position is good. Pegs are high and rearward compared to the foot location on an Ultra, should be able to get used to it though. Bars felt high & forward the way the dealer had it set up, lowered them some when I got home & it feels natural now. I added the Low Rider style Sundowner seat right away, it seems to be very comfortable to me, doesn't seem to push you any further forward or higher than the stock seat. The shape of the front if it is very similar to the stock seat, with a more comfortable bucket to sit back into, very nice (and this is my 4th Sundowner now from various bikes over the years). Also, surprisingly, it doesn't look bad on there either, with the wider rear fender of the Low Riders and the bags on the sides. The height of these raised bags helps hide the wide seat.

Wind protection from the faring is surprisingly good, very well designed. Cold here yet, was low 50's today. Legs didn't seem to get much more wind than riding the Ultra, surprisingly. There's a deflector toward the bottom of the faring that deflects wind away from your legs. Feet get wind, nothing a crash bar with wind deflectors wouldn't solve I'm thinking. Faring does an excellent job of routing wind around you, at least when there is little or no crosswind. Good job.

The windshield is another story. It may or may not look cool but for my size (5'9") it sure doesn't work good. Wind hits right around my throat / chin, not good to me. Going to have to order that taller one & see how it works. The stock shield definitely isn't the answer for me though, all but ruined the experience for me today. I'm sure the aftermarket will come out with some creative alternatives, hopefully something with a curve to it to help deflect the wind over you. It does work better at 70 than going slower. No way I will try to go any distance with the stock shield, or I'll wear my full face helmet or something. Take off the windsheild entirely if they're not your thing, but I doubt you will like it the way it comes stock. Interested in other's opinions on this, maybe I am just spoiled with the excellent wind protection the bat wing gives you with the right windshield.

The minimalist gauge setup functions well, no problems seeing everything in bright sunlight. We're all so used to seeing gauges on a bike like this though, so it maybe does look a little cheap with no visible gauges at all in the faring. Not crazy about the look. Probably works cosmetically on a Street Bob, not as much on this type of bike. That big open hole in the faring where gauges are just supposed to be looks like some dude in Califorina or wherever this look came from just bolted on an old faring they found somewhere & called it good. I would like a bunch of high tech looking gauges I guess, just my opinion. This functions just fine though. The digital gear readout (which is especially handy on a new bike you're not used to yet) is on all the time, no matter what mode you have the gauge in (my Super Glide only reads out the gear when in digital RPM mode). Going to put a phone mount on ASAP, phone's GPS is far far superior to the Boom Box that gets passed off as a GPS on the touring bikes. The new phone mounts with built-in wireless chargers sound like the perfect solution, phone is always charged & will never ever fall off the way some of those holder are made now. The optional FXLRST bluetooth sound system is backordered several months right now so that's not going to be a thing until next year the way it sounds.

The ride seems to be very good, front suspension is excellent. The rear is a little firm for me right out of the box but I haven't messed with the preload yet either, and haven't had the wife on the back.

Handling is GREAT. Fixed faring is nice compared to having the heavy bat wing bolted to the forks. Didn't get anywhere near the cornering limits today but the pegs are nowhere near the pavement for sure. This bike is going to put the FUN back into riding for me, I can definitely feel that. So light and nimble, feels like any dyna or softail of the past weigh-wise, but still feels stable on the highway. Steering geometry is middle of the road, turns well but not too well, not like a sport bike that doesn't feel as stable on the highway as a cruiser or touring bike typically does. The faring must be fairly light, it does not even feel like it's there weight wise. Not top heavy at all, feels just like my Super Glide when I take it off the center stand. Oh and seat height - feels a little lower than the Ultra. Somewhat easier to flat foot for me than an Ultra. And regarding complaints about the center stand being hard to operate - ?? No issues with the center stand whatsoever, ignore whoever brought that up. Much easier to operate than the stand on my '13 Super Glide.

Just can't speak much of the 117 at this time, not getting on it yet until I have at least a hundred miles or so. Honestly the Milwaukee 7, being solid mounted in the softail but supposedly more balanced than it is in a touring bike, does not feel more balanced or nearly as smooth as it does in a touring bike. Feels rougher and buzzier, was a little surprised by that. Not buttery smooth like a tourning bike. This is my third softail now ('95 Bad Boy, '09 Night Train previous), didn't remember them being as buzzy, or I guess that was before owning a couple Ultras and a Street Glide which might have something to do with it. Anyway, at certain RPM's you definitely feel it's down there. Which is OK. Maybe the 117 has different manners than the 107.

Everyone expects different things from their bike and has different needs and priorities. Will be very interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

Last edited by JayMN; 04-10-2022 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:18 AM
JayMN
Advanced
Default 35 mile review, FXLRST

Hoping to hear thoughts from others as well. These things are just my opinions, perhaps not yours. Thirty-five miles is not far, and thoughts may change over time. With hardly any of these out there, I know there are many who are wondering about this bike. If you are looking for a short review, please skip to the next post. This is my 12th new Harley since 1993 so not really a "novice" like my profile suggests.

Got mine home today, put about 35 miles on it. Didn't get on it much yet, feels strong though. Here are my preliminary thoughts about the bike in general.

Seating position is good. Pegs are high and rearward compared to the foot location on an Ultra, should be able to get used to it though. Bars felt high & forward the way the dealer had it set up, lowered them some when I got home & it feels natural now. I added the Low Rider style Sundowner seat right away, it seems to be very comfortable to me, doesn't seem to push you any further forward or higher than the stock seat. The shape of the front if it is very similar to the stock seat, with a more comfortable bucket to sit back into, very nice (and this is my 4th Sundowner now from various bikes over the years). Also, surprisingly, it doesn't look bad on there either, with the wider rear fender of the Low Riders and the bags on the sides. The height of these raised bags helps hide the wide seat.

Wind protection from the faring is surprisingly good, very well designed. Cold here yet, was low 50's today. Legs didn't seem to get much more wind than riding the Ultra, surprisingly. There's a deflector toward the bottom of the faring that deflects wind away from your legs. Feet get wind, nothing a crash bar with wind deflectors wouldn't solve I'm thinking. Faring does an excellent job of routing wind around you, at least when there is little or no crosswind. Good job.

The windshield is another story. It may or may not look cool but for my size (5'9") it sure doesn't work good. Wind hits right around my throat / chin, not good to me. Going to have to order that taller one & see how it works. The stock shield definitely isn't the answer for me though, all but ruined the experience for me today. I'm sure the aftermarket will come out with some creative alternatives, hopefully something with a curve to it to help deflect the wind over you. It does work better at 70 than going slower. No way I will try to go any distance with the stock shield, or I'll wear my full face helmet or something. Take off the windsheild entirely if they're not your thing, but I doubt you will like it the way it comes stock. Interested in other's opinions on this, maybe I am just spoiled with the excellent wind protection the bat wing gives you with the right windshield.

The minimalist gauge setup functions well, no problems seeing everything in bright sunlight. We're all so used to seeing gauges on a bike like this though, so it maybe does look a little cheap with no visible gauges at all in the faring. Not crazy about the look. Probably works cosmetically on a Street Bob, not as much on this type of bike. That big open hole in the faring where gauges are just supposed to be looks like some dude in Califorina or wherever this look came from just bolted on an old faring they found somewhere & called it good. I would like a bunch of high tech looking gauges I guess, just my opinion. This functions just fine though. The digital gear readout (which is especially handy on a new bike you're not used to yet) is on all the time, no matter what mode you have the gauge in (my Super Glide only reads out the gear when in digital RPM mode). Going to put a phone mount on ASAP, phone's GPS is far far superior to the Boom Box that gets passed off as a GPS on the touring bikes. The new phone mounts with built-in wireless chargers sound like the perfect solution, phone is always charged & will never ever fall off the way some of those holder are made now. The optional FXLRST bluetooth sound system is backordered several months right now so that's not going to be a thing until next year the way it sounds.

The ride seems to be very good, front suspension is excellent. The rear is a little firm for me right out of the box but I haven't messed with the preload yet either, and haven't had the wife on the back.

Handling is GREAT. Fixed faring is nice compared to having the heavy bat wing bolted to the forks. Didn't get anywhere near the cornering limits today but the pegs are nowhere near the pavement for sure. This bike is going to put the FUN back into riding for me, I can definitely feel that. So light and nimble, feels like any dyna or softail of the past weigh-wise, but still feels stable on the highway. Steering geometry is middle of the road, turns well but not too well, not like a sport bike that doesn't feel as stable on the highway as a cruiser or touring bike typically does. The faring must be fairly light, it does not even feel like it's there weight wise. Not top heavy at all, feels just like my Super Glide when I take it off the center stand. Oh and seat height - feels a little lower than the Ultra. Somewhat easier to flat foot for me than an Ultra. And regarding complaints about the center stand being hard to operate - ?? No issues with the center stand whatsoever, ignore whoever brought that up. Much easier to operate than the stand on my '13 Super Glide.

Just can't speak much of the 117 at this time, not getting on it yet until I have at least a hundred miles or so. Honestly the Milwaukee 7, being solid mounted in the softail but supposedly more balanced than it is in a touring bike, does not feel more balanced or nearly as smooth as it does in a touring bike. Feels rougher and buzzier, was a little surprised by that. Not buttery smooth like a tourning bike. This is my third softail now ('95 Bad Boy, '09 Night Train previous), didn't remember them being as buzzy, or I guess that was before owning a couple Ultras and a Street Glide which might have something to do with it. Anyway, at certain RPM's you definitely feel it's down there. Which is OK. Maybe the 117 has different manners than the 107.

Everyone expects different things from their bike and has different needs and priorities. Will be very interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

Last edited by JayMN; 04-10-2022 at 02:07 AM.
The following 23 users liked this post by JayMN:
Calif Fat Bob (04-13-2022), chadr502 (04-22-2022), Durham man (04-10-2022), DutchBoy17 (04-11-2022), FenderBndr (05-05-2022), FL_Moto (04-11-2022), gv550 (04-10-2022), HD_fan (05-11-2022), Jed Clampett (04-14-2022), johnnynitro (04-10-2022), Lucy.K (04-24-2023), Marsikus (01-28-2023), Part Timer (05-02-2022), rauchman (04-13-2022), Redlegvzv (06-30-2023), RGpittsburgh (05-10-2022), Royce (05-10-2022), Sanjuro (04-10-2022), STLow (05-16-2022), TVagee (04-12-2022), walstibsf (10-28-2023), Waydel (02-05-2023), XLGOAT (07-02-2022) and 18 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-10-2022, 01:54 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Great review! congrats on the new bike. Looks great!

The following users liked this post:
JayMN (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 09:39 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks for the review, especially thoughts on the fairing and windshield.

The following 2 users liked this post by natural gasser:
JayMN (04-10-2022), RGpittsburgh (05-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 11:22 AM
JD3
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call on the thread! I am currently waiting on mine.

Knowing people have started to pick their bikes up, I am eager to see some modified.

JayMN (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 11:27 AM
BuckeyeDeuceCVO
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Haven't found one yet ... let's see a pic without the bags.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

[QUOTE=BuckeyeDeuceCVO;20550680]Haven't found one yet ... let's see a pic without the bags.deleted

Old 04-10-2022, 11:36 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
The following 3 users liked this post by Durham man:
HDRyderCT (01-28-2023), Lorecapo (04-12-2022), XLGOAT (07-02-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 12:34 PM
BuckeyeDeuceCVO
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice!!! Thanks, Durham!!! Now we need a pic of one without bags AND a 2-1.

Durham man (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 01:34 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

As far as the kick stand being problematic I don’t believe it pertains to the 2022 as they sit an inch higher with the 56 mm ( heritage shock) v.s the stock 43 mm shock that comes on the 20-21 models. I have installed the 56 mm shock and it kicks down much easier with the extra clearance.

JayMN (04-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread