2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 12:21 AM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
I think it took me start to finish a little over a hour to pull the stocker pipes and get the Riot on, very easy install.

Ya, there is not much to it. A lot of 2-1 are like this, but I'm just happy I get the stock mufflers out of the way for good. Sucks you have to take them off for so much.

Old 08-30-2024, 12:50 AM
Phil McGrath
Tourer
Received 246 Likes on 134 Posts

The difference in power over stock is noticeable, and there is a huge weight reduction loosing one muffler, heat shields and the heavy factory bracket. And your right hamstring will love the heat reduction at the same time.

So thats 3 additional pluses that you can put in the plus column.

Last edited by Phil McGrath; 08-30-2024 at 12:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Powermankw (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:49 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Phil McGrath (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 11:19 AM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

My FXLRST is about a year old. I had the first 1K mile service at the dealership (negotiated that into the deal). About a year out now and I was getting ready to change the oil, at 3350 miles, and the oil was not even registering on the dipstick. I drained about 3.5 quarts and it took a full 5 quarts to fill to the middle mark on the nominal fill area. Could be a combination of dealer not filling to an appropriate level - no idea why I did not check in retrospect - and burning oil. Just wondering if any others had experiences similar. There is no perceptible change in performance, it rides really well.

Old 08-30-2024, 11:56 AM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Mine was half a quart high when I got it new. I had to take my bike in for warantee, and they said it was low. It wasn't, because I checked it the night before. I gave them mu oil, they put it in... Half a quart... And I checked it when I got it back... It's a half a quart high. Hot and Cold. So I don't know what the deal it.

New, my bike used pretty much no oil. I'm changing it today for 10K service, and it still does not consume any oil...hardly. Half a quart between changes maybe.

Are you checking it hot?

Old 08-30-2024, 03:41 PM
coopmonte
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
Been eyeing those for a while now, since they came out, just not sure on the look yet. May end up giving it a try but still debating right now. I have too many parts sitting in the garage that I picked up and then moved on, so they just sit in the box.

Durham man (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 03:54 PM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
Mine was half a quart high when I got it new. I had to take my bike in for warantee, and they said it was low. It wasn't, because I checked it the night before. I gave them mu oil, they put it in... Half a quart... And I checked it when I got it back... It's a half a quart high. Hot and Cold. So I don't know what the deal it.

New, my bike used pretty much no oil. I'm changing it today for 10K service, and it still does not consume any oil...hardly. Half a quart between changes maybe.

Are you checking it hot?
checking both hot and cold - on the jiffy stand - per the shop manual (which is same as the owner's manual) so I think that is correct. I did also measure it with the bike upright and it reads higher that way, but I have kept to measuring it on the jiffy stand to determine if the level is OK or needs more.

Old 08-30-2024, 04:19 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by spartan03
checking both hot and cold - on the jiffy stand - per the shop manual (which is same as the owner's manual) so I think that is correct. I did also measure it with the bike upright and it reads higher that way, but I have kept to measuring it on the jiffy stand to determine if the level is OK or needs more.
there has been many opinions on how to check the oil on the m8 softail. I have come to the conclusion that at time of change 4.5 quart’s gets me to the half way mark on stick. From there on out I check it cold on the jiffy stand in the same level spot in my garage. Keeping it at the half way mark.This is with the front wheel all the way left lock. The oil cooler can make level reading deceiving at different temperatures and incline’s I believe. It might be that your rings have not settled in yet. It is possible that it is using a little oil as it is breaking in. My bike has used very little to no oil in between changes. Monitor it. Do you have oil in your air filter.

Old 08-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by coopmonte
Been eyeing those for a while now, since they came out, just not sure on the look yet. May end up giving it a try but still debating right now. I have too many parts sitting in the garage that I picked up and then moved on, so they just sit in the box.
apparently advanblack has done a great job with the lowers. As Paul said in the video he bought fiberglass lowers and had problems. Advanblack’s bolt right up. I recently bought there st fairing and could not be happier. Not crazy about the fact that they are not made in the USA but they do produce a good product I believe. Customer service was great.
I

Old 08-31-2024, 01:34 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man

is this compatible with HD mustache engine guard?

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread