2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 05:20 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master
Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts

I agree with your comments on the fairing it looks like a aftermarket clip on. From the riders side looks very unfinished . They should have put a nice instrument Cluster with LCD .

Old 05-01-2022, 05:41 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain
Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

just wait till Plex has their drop-in version of the HD x Rockford stereo. that will make the inner fairing less empty and then also factor in a nice phone mount. I wanna fab something up off the windshield so it too is up and in sight and fills in some of the space.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:29 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
mind posting your invoice? not seeing how you'd get that number...
would help alot; I'm signing tomorrow at my local, dealer
Apologies, I didn't see this until just now. If it would still help then I will dig out the invoice and post it when I get a chance tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
adamsrotors (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:17 PM
JayMN
Advanced
Received 90 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
for the riders of these new bikes, how do you think it will fair on a 3 hour ride, may be some overnighters, curious compared to a touring model.
Thanks
So far, with limited miles (under 100), compared to my '17 Ultra:
-Solid mounted motor in the Softails is buzzier that the butter smooth touring bikes, especially at certain RPM's. Not huge, but noticeable.
-So far, the wife and I both, after less than 100 miles, feel the suspension ride quality is at least as good if not better than the Ultra touring suspension, stock to stock. Your RGS would have less travel than an Ultra, so I'd say with confidence that you will notice the ride will be better. The same bumps near our house that the Ultra "clunked" through, the Low Rider glides over with little or no fanfare. Adjuster for the rear suspension is under the seat, simple to adjust with a wrench, but you have to pull the seat.
-So far, with the tall HD windshield for the Low Rider ST, wind protection is good but not the big, wide pocket of calm air for your upper body & head that you can get on an Ultra with a good windshield that works good even in crosswinds. I'm sure the aftermarket will address this with better designs to come (like the shield on your RGS). Wind protection for your lower body is surprisingly good, almost like it has lowers.
-With the Low Rider style Sundowner seat on ours, it sits similar to our Ultra. Wife says she sits a little higher (passenger seat) than she did on the Ultra. She feels she's just as comfortable back there, but does miss the floor boards from the Ultra. Rider seat height is very similar, maybe feels just a little lower, there is some ride-in / sag when you sit, designed to be that way. Your RGS is probably about the same or lower than the Low Rider ST though.
-Cruise control is great, of course. That's a main factor for me when riding several hours.
-The lack of gadgetry seems to bother some, I'm still on the fence. The only thing I'm going to miss about that whole Ultra touch screen and row of gauges is the air temp, like to follow that throughout the day, just a goofy curiosity thing if nothing else. Cell phone mounted to the bars & you have the best GPS you can get, period. The minimalist gauge on the bike tells you everything you need to know, with very little fanfare however.
-One gallon less gas on board.
-I have a feeling the mid controls are going to cause cramps for some, unless highway pegs are added.
-For overnighters, it seems to me that for stuff, the useable space in the saddlebags and the relatively inexpensive option for an extra large bag on the back if necessary will make overnighters not noticeably different than they were before.
-The bike is more nimble on the road, and is much easier to lug around when trying to park and get in or out of the garage. It's more FUN which is the whole point in the first place. If riding isn't expected to be fun, I'm taking the pickup 'cause it makes a whole lot more sense.

The following 5 users liked this post by JayMN:
adamsrotors (05-02-2022), ajcjr (05-04-2022), FL_Moto (05-02-2022), johnnynitro (05-02-2022), rauchman (02-10-2023)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:01 PM
Breaker80
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone going from the FXLRS to the ST - Aside from the 3 cubes increase in the motor, which I’m reading likes to be spun up a bit more than the 114 for max power, are you feeling it’s worth the money over a non ST that has some touring add ons?

I have a 21 FXLRS set up for “sporty touring”. Legends front suspension and RWD 13.5 lifted rear, HD fairing and custom hard cases. Is the ST package that much better than a built to suit bike?

The following 6 users liked this post by Breaker80:
FenderBndr (05-05-2022), HuntWhenever (05-02-2022), ironlast (05-24-2022), Lucy.K (04-25-2023), Marsikus (01-28-2023), rauchman (02-10-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:27 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JayMN
So far, with limited miles (under 100), compared to my '17 Ultra...
great little write-up. sounds like I'll be just fine (as suspected) on my ST coming from the RGS and more or less where my head was at.

from all I've read here and on other ST topics/threads, the windshield seems to be the only real issue. I've confirmed Klockwerks is on it; just gotta be patient.

The following users liked this post:
johnnynitro (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:37 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Breaker80
Anyone going from the FXLRS to the ST - Aside from the 3 cubes increase in the motor, which I’m reading likes to be spun up a bit more than the 114 for max power, are you feeling it’s worth the money over a non ST that has some touring add ons?

I have a 21 FXLRS set up for “sporty touring”. Legends front suspension and RWD 13.5 lifted rear, HD fairing and custom hard cases. Is the ST package that much better than a built to suit bike?
Man your bike looks great. I wouldn't make the switch if I had that!

The following 4 users liked this post by Jed Clampett:
Breaker80 (05-02-2022), HS3 (09-13-2024), pawn (05-04-2022), tngarren (05-03-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:38 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Breaker80
Legends front suspension and RWD 13.5 lifted rear
surprised with those mods you haven't ran the dirty customs shims. from those pics, you haven't...look into it.
and regarding your question...I'd swap that fairing for an FXRT and call it a day, you're that a far along I don't see it being worth it at all, no.
(I thought many a times just getting a '20-21 FXLRS and adding hard bags & a fixed fairing to save some cash. but by the time I did, I was close enough I wanted the perks of going straight to an ST...you're already there.)

The following 2 users liked this post by adamsrotors:
Breaker80 (05-02-2022), HuntWhenever (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 01:16 PM
powerman1972
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Just picked my ST on Friday. Only put 30 miles on it so far do to shitty Minnesota weather. I will say at 6 foot the mid controls are high, will be going to forward controls soon as well as taller bars in the future.

The following 4 users liked this post by powerman1972:
Durham man (05-02-2022), FenderBndr (05-05-2022), HuntWhenever (05-02-2022), rauchman (02-10-2023)
Old 05-02-2022, 06:37 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by powerman1972

Just picked my ST on Friday. Only put 30 miles on it so far do to shitty Minnesota weather. I will say at 6 foot the mid controls are high, will be going to forward controls soon as well as taller bars in the future.
Can you measure the width of the fairing when you get a chance? I'm really wondering how wide it is? Im wondering if it would fit through my basement door if i go this route🤔

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread