2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 11:27 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightyear68
Installed Thrashin RoadGlide adapter pullback with stock riser. 2 inches up and 1.5 back. Thrashin High Bend bar. Rolled them back to comfortable reach.

I used the service manual and got 90% in my garage. Thrashin said no extra brake line. They're wrong. 2 inches short. I'll take it to the dealership for the brake line and fluid. Service manual says computer adjustment needed for ABS and brake fluid fill.

More lessons learned posted soon.

As long as you don't cycle the key and run the pump you can just belled them like you'd normally do it. No special tools or procedure.

The following users liked this post:
Old Ranger (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:46 PM
Junkyard Dog
Advanced
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Installed Thrashin RoadGlide adapter pullback with stock riser. 2 inches up and 1.5 back. Thrashin High Bend bar. Rolled them back to comfortable reach.

I used the service manual and got 90% in my garage. Thrashin said no extra brake line. They're wrong. 2 inches short. I'll take it to the dealership for the brake line and fluid. Service manual says computer adjustment needed for ABS and brake fluid fill.

More lessons learned posted soon.

I'm thinking about adding this adaptor to my ST as well. Did you pull the outer and inner fairing to reach the riser bolts? You have slack in the wires for the offset? Thanks

Old 01-23-2024, 05:55 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I'm thinking about adding this adaptor to my ST as well. Did you pull the outer and inner fairing to reach the riser bolts? You have slack in the wires for the offset? Thanks
No need to pull the fairing. Watched the Thrashin video below that showed the way to go. Lay on the floor and use a ratchet extension and universal attachment to reach the nuts. I wasn't able to get the torque wrench to click at 70ft lbs as recommended. But I think that was because of the flex in the universal joint. So I got it as tight as possible, or "Dad Tight."

There are four connections. Right and left hand controls. Throttle wire. And display. All reached, but not with enough slack to keep them attached to the plastic caddy. So I removed each from the caddy and placed a zip tie to keep the bundle secure. They fit well and the rubber boot easily fit into place. I might wrap each of the plastic connectors in self-bonding tape to keep them from rubbing on each other, but that's my OCD overthinking it and probably not necessary.

The clutch cable is tight. I'm going to ask the dealership tech if it's good to go as is. I work at a dealership and trust my techs. I just like working on my bike and learning about it. Part of the fun for me.

I knew I'd be posting this tip so I took a photo of the wire bundle after I removed the plastic caddy. The wires are inside the frame cavity with one zip tie to keep them together. The rubber boot goes over the cavity to protect the connections.

Last edited by Lightyear68; 01-23-2024 at 06:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lightyear68:
JakeC7R (01-24-2024), Junkyard Dog (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 06:12 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer

New, unopened grips from the HD Empire Collection.

$50 plus shipping. Retail is $150. I'll send you a shipping price to your address with a tracking # provided.

I ordered these as a package when I bought my bike, waited to change my bars, went with a different grip, and now I'm out of the return window.

Check fitment using this link and attached images of package label. Throttle by wire, not cable. Not heated.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:16 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,845 Likes on 958 Posts

No need to pull the fairing. Watched the Thrashin video below that showed the way to go. Lay on the floor and use a ratchet extension and universal attachment to reach the nuts. I wasn't able to get the torque wrench to click at 70ft lbs as recommended. But I think that was because of the flex in the universal joint. So I got it as tight as possible, or "Dad Tight."

There are four connections. Right and left hand controls. Throttle wire. And display. All reached, but not with enough slack to keep them attached to the plastic caddy. So I removed each from the caddy and placed a zip tie to keep the bundle secure. They fit well and the rubber boot easily fit into place. I might wrap each of the plastic connectors in self-bonding tape to keep them from rubbing on each other, but that's my OCD overthinking it and probably not necessary.

The clutch cable is tight. I'm going to ask the dealership tech if it's good to go as is. I work at a dealership and trust my techs. I just like working on my bike and learning about it. Part of the fun for me.
I knew I'd be posting this tip so I took a photo of the wire bundle after I removed the plastic caddy. The wires are inside the frame cavity with one zip tie to keep them together. The rubber boot goes over the cavity to protect the connections.
I did just the Thrashin 6.5" risers with stock bars. While they say "Will work with stock brake and clutch" both are very tight. I had to loosen the banjo fitting on the brake line to roll the fitting. Also clutch cable is maxed out. I'm going to have the dealer install a +2 on both the brake and clutch upper at first service.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:49 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I did just the Thrashin 6.5" risers with stock bars. While they say "Will work with stock brake and clutch" both are very tight. I had to loosen the banjo fitting on the brake line to roll the fitting. Also clutch cable is maxed out. I'm going to have the dealer install a +2 on both the brake and clutch upper at first service.
School me up on "+2." Is that a less expensive option to just add 2 inches instead of a cable replacement?

The Roadglide adapter gave me height and pullback. With the high bend bar it's exactly where I wanted the reach. The 6.5 riser alone wasn't enough pullback in my case. But the adapter makes the master cylinder 2 inches from the bar. Insert cursing here.

Last edited by Lightyear68; 01-23-2024 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:15 PM
Junkyard Dog
Advanced
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

School me up on "+2." Is that a less expensive option to just add 2 inches instead of a cable replacement?

The Roadglide adapter gave me height and pullback. With the high bend bar it's exactly where I wanted the reach. The 6.5 riser alone wasn't enough pullback in my case. But the adapter makes the master cylinder 2 inches from the bar. Insert cursing here.

I believe it means the cables are replaced but they are +2” in length over stock OEM length.

The following 2 users liked this post by Junkyard Dog:
Calif Fat Bob (01-23-2024), Lightyear68 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:53 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,845 Likes on 958 Posts

+2 over the stock length. Both the clutch cable and front brake lines are a two pieces. The brake line from the lever to a splitter under the lower triple tree. You only need to replace the upper part of that brake line with a line 2" longer. The upper brake line comes in 1" increments over stock I believe. Same with the clutch cable that comes in two pieces. Just disconnect at the junction attached to the frame rail and replace just he upper portion of that cable.

It's one on the things Harley got right on these bikes is the ability to lengthen cables easily. Lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
JakeC7R (01-24-2024), Lightyear68 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 04:03 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

That's pretty neat and tidy. Certainly looks better than with the plastic caddy there. I might remove mine as it makes it a real pain in the *** to get all the wiring into the neck and the rubber boot properly in place

The following users liked this post:
Lightyear68 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 06:23 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer

Originally Posted by adm
That's pretty neat and tidy. Certainly looks better than with the plastic caddy there. I might remove mine as it makes it a real pain in the *** to get all the wiring into the neck and the rubber boot properly in place
As an administrative hearing officer I've learned that just because a lawyer says it doesn't make it right. Likewise, in some cases, just because it came like that stock doesn't make it right. Especially when the MoCo factors cost effectiveness and govt regulation constraints.

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread