2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 04:25 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,845 Likes on 958 Posts

Well installed the Klock Werks 10” windscreen today and went for a ride. Here’s my thoughts. My stats are 5’8” with 28” inseam and a bit long in the torso.

Overall a better fit on the bike. Looks great and matches the lines of the bike well.

Pro:
The Klock Werks windscreen fit and finish is much better than the Clearview. Holes lined up well and the thinner thickness made for a better fit.
The stock grommets fit tighter and better in the Klock Werks.

Cons:
The tint is much lighter than the Clearview dark. It’s about in the middle between the Harley 10” tall and the Clearview dark which is what I had.
Buffeting was a bit worse for me than the Clearview Medium. Not awful but not as good as the Clearview medium. I think if the Klock Werks was 2” taller it would be perfect.

I think for me, I’m going to order a Clearview Large. That will be the 4th windscreen I’ll have. Lol

Here are some pics.

Clearview Medium vs Klock Werks is a bit taller.

Klock Werks is narrower on the sides.

Also a bit lighter tint. Here is Clearview.

Here is Klock Werks

Took both ladies out for a ride today

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 06-03-2023 at 04:27 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
Big Al 59 (06-05-2023), Buelligan63 (09-23-2023), ChrisHo (06-07-2023), JakeC7R (06-06-2023), JayMN (07-12-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 07:32 PM
Reaper53
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My ST finally arrived today. Took it nice and easy around town for the first 50. Bunch of shifting and RPM variances. Took it out for another 100+ miles, keeping the RPMs down, but stretching it's legs. Twisties around a lake, back roads, and highway. Kept varying speed just to change up RPMs, but my first impressions of the bike are, Wow! This bike is amazing. Hugs the turns, loves the straights, it just wants to be ridden. Smooth. Suspension just makes the bike float.

I've been concerned about a few things, from sitting on one at a dealer, and forums talk. Those worries were all unfounded. For perspective on my perspective, 6'2", 220 lbs, 34" barefoot inseam.

The windshield/fairing is spot on. Zero buffeting, even at higher speeds (however fast you can go at 3400 RPM). Face full of wind, but no buffeting. Perfect with my fullface, as it gives the helmet good airflow. With my half face, my glasses soon became covered in bug guts. I would wear my full face on road trips just because of unknown weather patterns, but bee-bopping around locally, the half face is perfect.

Definitely needs a seat and pull back risers. The handlebars fit just fine where they are, but I can see them creating comfort issues cross country. The seat just isn't comfortable for extended periods.

Surprisingly, the air filter isn't in the way. It hit my shin when I sat on one at the dealer, so I knew it needed changed out. Sitting down into the seat for riding, it isn't in the way at all. It will be when I get a highway bar to stretch on, but for control, it's just fine.

Need to figure out mini floorboards. The ones I thought I was going to get, I can't find the right adapter for. 100 mile no stop, the pegs weren't bothersome at all, but I still want floor boards.

Speaking of controls, I sit comfortably on it with mid controls. Again, after sitting on one at the dealer, I felt cramped up and knew I would need forwards to fit right. It simply turned out to not be the case once I got to riding. That may change when I get a new seat, might not.

​​​​​Take it all for the anecdotal experience it is, but this is one fun bike. My previous riding experience includes 2004 Victory Kingpin, 2006 Electra Glide, various sporties, V-Stars, and a KTM 1290 Super Duke.

​​

The following 6 users liked this post by Reaper53:
ChrisHo (06-07-2023), Durham man (06-04-2023), JayMN (07-12-2023), johnnynitro (06-07-2023), mikec35 (06-06-2023), NZLowrider (06-05-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2023, 08:29 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

@Calif Fat Bob that's a great review and write-up! I hope the next one is the "one" as the quest for the holy grail windshield continues! The Clearview does seem quite a bit wider than the KW.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:56 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=JakeC7R;21244099]@Calif Fat Bob that's a great review and write-up! I hope the next one is the "one" as the quest for the holy grail windshield continues! The Clearview does seem quite a bit wider than the KW.[/QUOTE

@JakeC7R I may be chasing the unattainable, but the journey is half the fun. Lol

The following users liked this post:
JakeC7R (06-07-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 05:18 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
Clearview Medium vs Klock Werks is a bit taller.
So which is taller? It looks like Clearview has a pretty good way to measure their shields so that you can choose the correct height. Klock Werks only has two sizes and if you want a taller one than the 10" at 5'8" in height, then I would probably want an even taller one at 6"0".

Old 06-07-2023, 01:55 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So which is taller? It looks like Clearview has a pretty good way to measure their shields so that you can choose the correct height. Klock Werks only has two sizes and if you want a taller one than the 10" at 5'8" in height, then I would probably want an even taller one at 6"0".
The Klock Werks is about 1.5" taller just in the middle section then tapers down on either side. At your height I would think either the CV Large or XL would be the way to go. I really comes down to how much of your torso is above the seat. I'm 5'8" (68") tall with 28" inseams so my torso is about 40" or so. Tall torso short legs.

This is me with the CV Medium which per their website is 3.5" taller than stock. (The large is 5" taller and the XL is 6.5" taller than stock). At Freeway speeds if I duck down a bit the buffeting goes away all together. so that has me thinking about getting the Large or XL. I will install my stock grommets in it that way I can swap to the L/XL for road trips and use the KW for short around town trips. Swapping them takes only a minute if you have the grommets pre-installed on each. I have the same problem on my Fat Bob with the Memphis Shade Road Warrior windscreen. I use the 13" for tooling around town and the 17" for trips.

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 06-07-2023 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
ChrisHo (06-08-2023), Reaper53 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 03:17 PM
johnnynitro
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I Hope Madstad might come out with something for these ??

Calif Fat Bob (06-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 03:23 PM
adrumm74
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
The Klock Werks is about 1.5" taller just in the middle section then tapers down on either side. At your height I would think either the CV Large or XL would be the way to go. I really comes down to how much of your torso is above the seat. I'm 5'8" (68") tall with 28" inseams so my torso is about 40" or so. Tall torso short legs.

This is me with the CV Medium which per their website is 3.5" taller than stock. (The large is 5" taller and the XL is 6.5" taller than stock). At Freeway speeds if I duck down a bit the buffeting goes away all together. so that has me thinking about getting the Large or XL. I will install my stock grommets in it that way I can swap to the L/XL for road trips and use the KW for short around town trips. Swapping them takes only a minute if you have the grommets pre-installed on each. I have the same problem on my Fat Bob with the Memphis Shade Road Warrior windscreen. I use the 13" for tooling around town and the 17" for trips.

I am 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam and I have the CV medium. I also still feel the wind buffeting right at the top of my helm. I am also considering the large CV as well.

Calif Fat Bob (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 03:37 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by johnnynitro
I Hope Madstad might come out with something for these ??
I have Madstads on both my KTM bikes. They make quality windscreens.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:21 PM
RockyMtnRG
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default LRST v Fat Bob

Calif FB, can you share any recent thoughts on the comparison between your two bikes? Those of us who own a Fat Bob but are ST curious would appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread