2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 09:58 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

i know most probably dont want to lower their bikes, but for those looking, here is a FXLRS with the fox 12.5" rear set to spring preload 3.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 11:08 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by stormin08
i know most probably dont want to lower their bikes, but for those looking, here is a FXLRS with the fox 12.5" rear set to spring preload 3.

kinda like converting an fxr into a hard tail. It won’t handle as good but it sure looks cool!

Old 03-19-2023, 11:25 AM
307LowriderST
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, everyone, this'll be my first post! I'm waffling pretty hard on what direction to go with my spring mods to my ST and thought I'd fish for some input from people who have more experience with Harleys. Regarding performance affecting mods, my bike is stock excepting Rhinehart 3.5 inch slip-on exhaust which I put on last summer. When I put on the Rhineharts I noticed a precipitous drop in low end torque so I added some DK thunder torque inserts which resolved that problem. However, the bike now feels constricted at the top end. In any event, I'm going to switch to Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1 exhaust this spring. I'm pretty conservative, and I like the idea of having a warranty, even if it's only good for another year. Next summer, I will definitely go with a power vision tuner, just I'm debating which way to go this summer. Also, I don't need to eek out every ounce of power, I just want the bike to run smooth and correct for now and until I get a cam next summer.

Here's the options I'm considering (all options assume the same new RR 2 into 1 exhaust):
1. Take to indy shop for a full PV dyno tune. Most expensive, but would have the license and they will retune next summer for the cam.
2. Buy a PV3 from Fuel Moto preloaded and go with that for now.
3. Take it to my local dealer and get a canned stage 1 SE download tune. Cheapest option, significantly.
4. Buy the upcoming new SE tuner and maybe get a slightly better SE stage 1 tune. Probably never use it again after this year though.

I'm aware that the "best" result would be from a PV tune, whether I take it to the indy and tuned on dyno or if I get a preload from Fuel Moto. However, if I can achieve a decent result from a SE tune to maintain my warranty for now, that'd be fine. So, ideally, if anyone has done a similar basic set up with the SE tuner and had acceptable results, please chime in. Bonus points if you can post a dyno result of a SE tune with a similar set up.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments!

Old 03-19-2023, 05:43 PM
stormin08
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Durham man
kinda like converting an fxr into a hard tail. It won’t handle as good but it sure looks cool!https://youtu.be/4M3J6b25Gys
couldnt agree more !!!!

Old 03-19-2023, 08:41 PM
Astro Glide
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
The most noticeable drawback for me in going from a touring bike to the Low Rider ST (other than riding position) is the wind noise. I have not found the right windshield to cut that down. Maybe it is not possible with the smaller fairing.
There have been many attempts with the Sport Glide, to cut down on the wind noise and the buffeting, with various height and shape windscreens. To date, some have made it a little less, but none, regardless of height or venting, have truly been successful, not like on a Road Glide or a Street Glide, though the FXR style fuller fairing on the Softtail platform, so far, seems to be the best of the lot. I completely understand the weight savings on the LRST vs the touring models, though.

The following users liked this post:
JakeC7R (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 10:18 PM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 307LowriderST
Hello, everyone, this'll be my first post! I'm waffling pretty hard on what direction to go with my spring mods to my ST and thought I'd fish for some input from people who have more experience with Harleys. Regarding performance affecting mods, my bike is stock excepting Rhinehart 3.5 inch slip-on exhaust which I put on last summer. When I put on the Rhineharts I noticed a precipitous drop in low end torque so I added some DK thunder torque inserts which resolved that problem. However, the bike now feels constricted at the top end. In any event, I'm going to switch to Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1 exhaust this spring. I'm pretty conservative, and I like the idea of having a warranty, even if it's only good for another year. Next summer, I will definitely go with a power vision tuner, just I'm debating which way to go this summer. Also, I don't need to eek out every ounce of power, I just want the bike to run smooth and correct for now and until I get a cam next summer.

Here's the options I'm considering (all options assume the same new RR 2 into 1 exhaust):
1. Take to indy shop for a full PV dyno tune. Most expensive, but would have the license and they will retune next summer for the cam.
2. Buy a PV3 from Fuel Moto preloaded and go with that for now.
3. Take it to my local dealer and get a canned stage 1 SE download tune. Cheapest option, significantly.
4. Buy the upcoming new SE tuner and maybe get a slightly better SE stage 1 tune. Probably never use it again after this year though.

I'm aware that the "best" result would be from a PV tune, whether I take it to the indy and tuned on dyno or if I get a preload from Fuel Moto. However, if I can achieve a decent result from a SE tune to maintain my warranty for now, that'd be fine. So, ideally, if anyone has done a similar basic set up with the SE tuner and had acceptable results, please chime in. Bonus points if you can post a dyno result of a SE tune with a similar set up.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments!
Before you put a PV3 on it, you need to check with your Harley dealer. My understanding is that if you use anything other than a Harley SE tuner, it kills your warranty. Harley is really strict about this after paying the Feds $12m to settle a lawsuit over providing after-sale parts and tuners that helped riders get around the EPA bullshit.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:41 AM
stormin08
Road Captain

ANY, and i mean ANY NON_HARLEY or SCREAMIN EAGLE part, the dealer can and most likely will flag the VIN.
my dealer has said, it will work with me on parts, if reputable...BUT the minute a NON HARLEY TUNE goes in, the dealer can no longer hook up any diagnostics with out the flag being automated by Harley.

Would i worry about it, Not necessarily if i was increasing power. at that point, they can say whatever part you installed...could have caused the failure due to increased power beyond what engineering designed.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:45 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mutton Chop
Klock Werks now offers a 10” size for the ST, just hit their site a week ago. I have the 6 and it’s a little better than stock but not a lot although I do like the visual. Probably grab the taller one at some point.
I wish I would have waited and got the 10" version, the 6" like you said is better than stock but still less than what I want. Maybe someone will buy my almost new 6" version. They go for $250 so not cheap for sure.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:08 AM
307LowriderST
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stormin08
ANY, and i mean ANY NON_HARLEY or SCREAMIN EAGLE part, the dealer can and most likely will flag the VIN.
my dealer has said, it will work with me on parts, if reputable...BUT the minute a NON HARLEY TUNE goes in, the dealer can no longer hook up any diagnostics with out the flag being automated by Harley.

Would i worry about it, Not necessarily if i was increasing power. at that point, they can say whatever part you installed...could have caused the failure due to increased power beyond what engineering designed.
Exactly. I've already spoken with my nearest dealer and know full well they'll flag me if I do a tune with anything other than SE and that's the rub. I.e., whether to knowingly sacrifice the remaining time on my warranty to get a better tune, or to use a SE tune for the next year to maintain a warranty. That's why I was fishing for thoughts to see if anyone had "okay" results with a canned SE tune for a 2 into 1 exhaust system. I know it wouldn't be ideal, but I could live with just an "okay" tune for a year under warranty, so long as the bike runs right, and then get a better tune next year when my warranty is up.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:35 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Harley does make a 2-1 for the LRST. Tunes for that might make for a decent starting point from the SE tuner.

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread