2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 07:11 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

i did the S due to the bags, just couldnt do it...

i will however add the thrashin set over bags for any trip or day ride...they offer just enough room for something of that nature.

The following 2 users liked this post by stormin08:
JakeC7R (12-20-2022), tngarren (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 08:15 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Hey all. I am considering adding a ST to my lineup. I test road one a couple days ago and used the excuse that I wanted a black one (vs. the GG one they had in stock) to talk myself out of buying it on the spot and give myself more time to think on it.

It’s a nice bike, quick enough stock, but I can’t get past the lopsided bags. I originally thought I’d just get a sport glide right bag when I pulled off the factory pipes for my usual 2:1 when I went for a good cam, but realized that while the SG bag is bigger then the ST right bag, it’s STILL smaller then the left.

Has anyone seen any solution? Or will it have to be “scrap the HD bags and get aftermarket’s”?

Please don’t lecture me about the warranty, I know, and I just don’t care.

Thanks!
I seem to recall oldmike saying he would save your seat? 😂

Last edited by Durham man; 12-20-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
https://youtu.be/-S8duyyF9fE st with leather pro’s
Thanks for that. They look ok, but I think hard bags look better with that faring. Those JD's you have, how do they mount? Removable w/o tools, or do you have to wrench them off? Also, do they come in gloss? The website is a little light on info...

Old 12-20-2022, 08:22 AM
Mchad
Club Member

I seem to recall old man mike saying he would save your seat? 😂
Hey nothings done yet. I'm only thinking...............

Old 12-20-2022, 08:42 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Thanks for that. They look ok, but I think hard bags look better with that faring. Those JD's you have, how do they mount? Removable w/o tools, or do you have to wrench them off? Also, do they come in gloss? The website is a little light on info...
the jd’s are wrench off. Very easy install. They come in flat like finish, they do require paint. I went with the slims. If you look at natural gasser’s he has the full size. Well if you do come back iam sure it will be a great build like all your others!

Old 12-20-2022, 10:02 AM
Mchad
Club Member

the jd’s are wrench off. Very easy install. They come in flat like finish, they do require paint. I went with the slims. If you look at natural gasser’s he has the full size. Well if you do come back iam sure it will be a great build like all your others!
Thanks for the info! we'll see what happens...!

Old 12-20-2022, 10:20 AM
97stalker
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

I just picked up an El Diablo. #49/1500. wasn't planning on it. walked into local dealership for a set of LED's and walked out $30k lighter. But i couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy it.

My one criticism is that HD has yet to come out with either LED lights to work with the REAR signals or a harness to convert rear signals into running/stop lamps. this is their hottest bike in years. why don't they have the accessories ready to go? that's where they make most of their money! Hopefully by spring time...

Old 12-20-2022, 10:31 AM
reinistraidas
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by °Rev
You just have to change mufflers... find the slip-ons you prefer. But right now you'll get engine light permanently lit; Since I used a FP3 on my old harley I got in touch with guys donw ad Vance&Hines and they told me that the tuner for this bike is the FP4 but right now it's NOT compatible either with 117ci engines nor EURO5 models...
So we basically preatty ****ed up here in europe. Your best bet is findind an EURO5 compliant solution.
That is incorrect, I have a EURO5 model ST and have fit de-cat mufflers from TAB Performance. They work, but you need a Power Vision 4 box and a custom tune that ignores rear O2 sensor readout (which they provide when you inquire). The only "problem" is the O2 sensors which are now left hanging as there are no O2 sensor slots in the de-catted mufflers. But that is no biggie, just wrap them up, tape the ends and tuck them in behind the side cover. Bike sounds great, runs better, too.

Old 12-20-2022, 11:40 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,845 Likes on 958 Posts

Don’t insult me, please. My level of OCD is far beyond that of a normal human. Or even a normal Harley owner. Literally, I won’t ever get over it until it’s resolved, Especially once a 2:1 in on there. Which will be immediately after the 1k service, which is usually within a week or so.

I saw some hard Viking bags which look ok, then also saw some bags by JD Customs they are a candidate also. My only concern is having to wrench them off to remove them. I really like the leatherpros mounting system like ai have on my Dyna, but leather bags just won’t look right I don’t think.

Hmm…
I was in the same boat and my OCD is so bad I had my front fender on the Fat Bob repainted because it had a tiny scratch that I would try to see while driving it. lol
For the ST, I back it into the garage so that I never see the bags when getting on or sitting on it. (Day 3 of ownership and I still have not ridden it).

In all seriousness, I'm sure some aftermarket hard bags will become available at some point. I too thought the uneven bags would be a deal breaker, but I bought it anyway.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:27 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by 97stalker
walked into local dealership for a set of LED's and walked out $30k lighter. But i couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy it.
Congrats, beautiful bike. I bet you are parking it in the neighbor's garage and have not told your wife yet.

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread