2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Low Rider ST Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 05:30 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

There is not any buffeting, at 80+ mph freeway speeds. I don't wear a helmet. The wind does blow directly about mid face though, so I can't even ride at highway speeds without earplugs. I ordered the taller shield and am assuming it will cure that. One thing I do not like about the bike is the vibration, it's not much better than my rigid mount shovelheads and evos when running up at higher RPMs. It's certainly no Road Glide, and the comfort (from vibration) is not at Dyna or FXR level either. It's a fine bike, but don't expect miracles or the comfort of a touring bike.

The following 3 users liked this post by mrlexus:
HuntWhenever (05-16-2022), JayMN (08-02-2022), Sanjuro (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 07:49 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,650 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
There is not any buffeting, at 80+ mph freeway speeds. I don't wear a helmet. The wind does blow directly about mid face though, so I can't even ride at highway speeds without earplugs. I ordered the taller shield and am assuming it will cure that. One thing I do not like about the bike is the vibration, it's not much better than my rigid mount shovelheads and evos when running up at higher RPMs. It's certainly no Road Glide, and the comfort (from vibration) is not at Dyna or FXR level either. It's a fine bike, but don't expect miracles or the comfort of a touring bike.
I too have found the vibration to be more than the touring frames. But interestingly, I added Ride-On tire sealant to my tires this weekend, and it seems to me that the vibration is significantly less, and my LRST is smooth now. I don’t think my tires were unbalanced, and maybe it is just my imagination, but I really do believe the bike is smoother now. I know…. Makes no sense.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:09 AM
°Rev
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Ok children. Stop acting like a bunch of 10 year olds and grow up!!

Izzo
Admin
Thank you Sir...
Going back to my question... Is anyone aware of any way to relocate the licence plate maybe under the taillight? Italian plates are very big and if like to have a razor tour pak on the bike, as the one in Laidlaw's video...

Old 05-17-2022, 04:37 PM
Knuckles48
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
I too have found the vibration to be more than the touring frames. But interestingly, I added Ride-On tire sealant to my tires this weekend, and it seems to me that the vibration is significantly less, and my LRST is smooth now. I don’t think my tires were unbalanced, and maybe it is just my imagination, but I really do believe the bike is smoother now. I know…. Makes no sense.
I found the same thing to happen when I put beads into a new set of tires on my Sportster. I think eliminating the small vibrations makes a big difference in what we feel when riding.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:49 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 231 Likes on 154 Posts

For those of us that don't do too much touring ... I wonder if getting the low rider s is the best choice. A lot cheaper ... put on the HD 1/4 fairing (they any good?) ... and sissy bar with bag for luggage. Save a lot that way. Is the fairing on the ST obtrusive? I'm used to bikes with no fairing but would like to take some long trips at some point.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:06 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,650 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
For those of us that don't do too much touring ... I wonder if getting the low rider s is the best choice. A lot cheaper ... put on the HD 1/4 fairing (they any good?) ... and sissy bar with bag for luggage. Save a lot that way. Is the fairing on the ST obtrusive? I'm used to bikes with no fairing but would like to take some long trips at some point.
The fairing on the ST is very unobtrusive. It also is by far, the best fairing I’ve ever experienced - no buffeting, excellent wind management (blocks the wind but allows enough flow to keep you cool on summer days), and is the best looking fairing on any Harley (my opinion obviously).

The following 3 users liked this post by Sanjuro:
cj24 (05-19-2022), FenderBndr (05-19-2022), JayMN (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 07:20 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain
Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

having ridden & owned all forms (no fairing, 1/4 fairing, larger memphis shades road warrior style, street glide, and a road glide) of fairing, I'd NEVER go back to anything but a fixed fairing bike...

The following 2 users liked this post by adamsrotors:
HuntWhenever (05-19-2022), JayMN (08-02-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 12:28 PM
6 of 45
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for this thread.

I’m learning a lot, and I’m going to do some modifications based upon what I’ve read here.

I think I will add forward controls, some mini floor boards, and certainly different exhausts. Maybe new handlebars?

Any advice as which forward controls and floorboards? Which exhaust? Should I stick with OEM Harley parts?

Old 05-18-2022, 12:40 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain
Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 of 45
Should I stick with OEM Harley parts?
that's the last thing I'd do...

all those other things are more standardized questions you can probably already find posted in the M8 boards. just use the search feature.

The following users liked this post:
6 of 45 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 06:16 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 947 Posts

If you got yours, feel fortunate. Those waiting will have to wait even longer.

Harley-Davidson suspends production in York County factory (msn.com)

The following users liked this post:
David Leslie (05-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Everything Low Rider ST Thread