2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Best Exhaust for 2022 FXLRS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 12:30 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 779 Likes on 353 Posts

Best exhaust is like asking what's the best beer or who has the best tacos. Too subjective, so go with what you like to either look at or listen to. for me it's Thunderheader, it'll always be Thunderheader. I've tried almost every other brand and I keep coming back at it like a crack addict.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:51 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,932 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by JED POLAND
@OldMike
Since you seem to know a lot about exhausts and I have roughly 24 hrs to make decision - what do you think about Cobra El-Diablo 2-1 for my setup?
I've received a deal that is hard to pass on - I know it's not Bassani but...it would cost me 640$ (roughly 60% of price in Poland) - and it is ready to be installed - brand new, of course.

Others welcome to share their thoughts, of course.
Originally Posted by OldMike
Actual Cobra owners that didn't like it, what was the issue?
Originally Posted by Durham man
Forum member rgs88 has the cobra exhaust.

I ran the El Diablo for about 4000 miles. With a PV3 tune from FM and original intake, I was very pleased with the exhaust. Fitment was great, sounded great, and I could definitely feel the improved powerband.

I sold it for a couple reasons:

1. I really wanted a stainless exhaust. This was probably the biggest factor.
2. I talked with the lads at Fuel Moto about the exhaust when I was deciding which cam to get (22XD). They had some concern about how the aggressive cam would work with that exhaust because they didn't have any experience tuning cams with that specific exhaust, it wasn't stepped, and the internal measurements were unknown. It was expressed that I may leave some power on the table by not having a known exhaust. Rather than risk being disappointed, I decided to just buy the exhaust I originally wanted.

In hindsight, I think I would have been perfectly happy to keep the exhaust and try it with the cam, then switch if the exhaust was really holding the potential back. The Diablo isn't a stepped exhaust like the Sawicki, but I wonder how much that would have affected things. There are a couple guys running the Diablo with aftermarket cams on the Facebook low rider pages and they all seem happy with the results.

Last edited by RGS88; 03-21-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:39 PM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
Best exhaust is like asking what's the best beer or who has the best tacos. Too subjective, so go with what you like to either look at or listen to. for me it's Thunderheader, it'll always be Thunderheader. I've tried almost every other brand and I keep coming back at it like a crack addict.
The world's best beer is obviously Modelo Negra, duh! Nobody that likes Mexican food cares about tacos, but the world's best Chile Rellenos are at Jalisco Cafe on Palm Ave, in Imperial Beach. You are correct about pipes though, its just a matter of taste. Or numbers. Or both.

The following users liked this post:
Exoskeletal (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 06:46 PM
Gripfxbbs
Cruiser
Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts

Fuel Moto “Jackpot riot” 2-1

With optional straight end cap and carbon fiber heat shields.

FM_Lucas (03-27-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 08:26 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 779 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by wlwoodruff
The world's best beer is obviously Modelo Negra, duh! Nobody that likes Mexican food cares about tacos, but the world's best Chile Rellenos are at Jalisco Cafe on Palm Ave, in Imperial Beach. You are correct about pipes though, its just a matter of taste. Or numbers. Or both.
Any time I try a new Mexican joint, I always rate them on their Chile Relleno’s so I agree with ya there and the pipe. But you’ll have to pry my Coors Banquet from from my cold dead hands.

wlwoodruff (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 11:33 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"but the world's best Chile Rellenos are at Jalisco Cafe on Palm Ave, in Imperial Beach." Thanks for the tip! There used to be an old-old place over in National City, El Juan's. They made the BEST Chile Rellenos and had this really old school recipe for a sweet brown sauce. I wish I had that recipe. Man, I would give a lot to go back and time and eat there again. Glad to check out Jalisco though.

Best Beer? I hate to break it to you, but Shiner Bock is just half a hair better than Modelo on most days - lol Thankfully Josies Hideout always has plenty of Modelo.

Pipes? I went with the TABS slip-ons with the zombie baffles on the new '23 FXLRST. Seriously loud. Your neighbors won't like you unless they are HD riders.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:55 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,364 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripfxbbs

Fuel Moto “Jackpot riot” 2-1

With optional straight end cap and carbon fiber heat shields.
I like the look of the Jackpot but it appears to be mounted quite low, compared with, say, a Thunderheader. Are there any ground clearance issues?

Old 03-22-2023, 05:44 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

that must be the pic angle, if you look at hard reference points...foot peg location, cam chest, trans cover and swing arm lower pivot, the above pic sits very similar to the stock location.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:33 PM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,364 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by stormin08
that must be the pic angle, if you look at hard reference points...foot peg location, cam chest, trans cover and swing arm lower pivot, the above pic sits very similar to the stock location.
You're probably right. The centre of the Jackpot's collector is in about the same position as the lower link pipe of the stock 2 into 2 system. It's just that the megaphone is a lot fatter than the stock slip-on cans so it looks like it sticks out further.
On the other hand, it probably won't ground out before the foot pegs.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:42 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

There is always S&S Super street, good fit and finish. You can play with the db reducer for added performance/sound. I would recommend spacers for the pegs or floorboards.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 2022 FXLRS