2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Best Exhaust for 2022 FXLRS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 06:06 PM
BeeRad
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
It depends on what tuner you are going to use. If you are going to use an HD tuner you better stick with slip on mufflers. A full 2into1 system will require a lot different map. Provided you care about how the bike runs. I bought S&S slip on mufflers since that's what Fuel Moto recommended.
I was planning on using the SE tuner as to not void warranty… but I figured it could be tuned for the exhaust I pick. Is it not possible to create a map with the SE tuner?

Old 03-06-2022, 06:17 PM
Spivitz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,386 Likes on 2,289 Posts

Bassani 2-1
Star Racing 30-30 cam
Power Vision Tune

The following 3 users liked this post by Spivitz:
BeeRad (03-06-2022), IBE (03-19-2023), TomBe (03-13-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:22 PM
Basically_Anonymous
Intermediate
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeRad
Nice pipes those look good. Does the bike ride well with those on?
It rides the same as it did stock just sounds better until I do the cam and tune. No popping on accel or decel but to be fair I’m taking it easy until I hit 500 mi.

The following users liked this post:
BeeRad (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:24 PM
BeeRad
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Basically_Anonymous
It rides the same as it did stock just sounds better until I do the cam and tune. No popping on accel or decel but to be fair I’m taking it easy until I hit 500 mi.
kool! Thank you for the info.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:27 PM
Basically_Anonymous
Intermediate
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Maybe a stupid question, but why would you sink cash into most of that stuff?

The HD cam plate works fine, the HD oil pump works fine. OK - I can see replacing the pushrods and lifters when you change the cam - as well as putting a full complement bearing in there - but why the cam plate, oil pump and tappet cuffs? That just seems to be over $1000 that doesn't really need to be done unless you are drag racing. And none of that stuff makes power.
cam plate and oil pump because I don’t trust stock because I am not gentle on engines. Once I throw a cam in and get it tuned and the rev limiter increased i don’t want a catastrophic engine failure because oil isn’t getting where it needs to go. Tappet cuffs because stock ones are plastic and that’s less than $100. It seems like $1,000 is a small price to pay for increased durability.

J-S (03-09-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:58 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeRad
I was planning on using the SE tuner as to not void warranty… but I figured it could be tuned for the exhaust I pick. Is it not possible to create a map with the SE tuner?
The SE tuner will be fine if you just use slipon mufflers that aren't too wide open. You mentioned a 2into1. No way can the SE tuner compensate for that. There is almost no adjustment with the SE tuner. I once had a bike with slip on mufflers Dyno tuned. I changed to a 2into1 and had it retuned. Had to add a surprising amount of fuel in parts of the map. You can add a 2into1 with the SE tuner and your bike will still go down the road. But could be extremely lean in places. I wouldn't do it.

BeeRad (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:51 PM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Basically_Anonymous
cam plate and oil pump because I don’t trust stock because I am not gentle on engines. Once I throw a cam in and get it tuned and the rev limiter increased i don’t want a catastrophic engine failure because oil isn’t getting where it needs to go.
Please someone correct me but for 2022 it would be like 1:1 replacement.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:01 PM
BeeRad
6th Gear

Originally Posted by martin10
The SE tuner will be fine if you just use slipon mufflers that aren't too wide open. You mentioned a 2into1. No way can the SE tuner compensate for that. There is almost no adjustment with the SE tuner. I once had a bike with slip on mufflers Dyno tuned. I changed to a 2into1 and had it retuned. Had to add a surprising amount of fuel in parts of the map. You can add a 2into1 with the SE tuner and your bike will still go down the road. But could be extremely lean in places. I wouldn't do it.
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

martin10 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 03:17 PM
HeritageClassic114
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adm
Maybe a stupid question, but why would you sink cash into most of that stuff?

The HD cam plate works fine, the HD oil pump works fine. OK - I can see replacing the pushrods and lifters when you change the cam - as well as putting a full complement bearing in there - but why the cam plate, oil pump and tappet cuffs? That just seems to be over $1000 that doesn't really need to be done unless you are drag racing. And none of that stuff makes power.
The HD cam plate is one piece aluminum s&s is also but just machined better and has brass inserts where the cam rides on. Over time things wear out and its less expensive to replace the brass then the whole stock cam chest. Also the s&s oil pump just flat out works better. If u can afford the extra money while you're doing a cam upgrade might as well replace the lesser parts with the better performing parts. Harley tappet cuff are plastic and just junk, for 50$ installing the s&s ones are a no brainer.

nick@nite (05-03-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 03:19 PM
HeritageClassic114
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into Bassani Road Rage, Trask Assault 2 into 1, Fuel moto riot 2 into 1. All three offer great numbers on a dyno with little weak spots or dips that a dyno tune cant fix.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 2022 FXLRS