2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Softail vs. Road King Passenger Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022 | 06:47 AM
05Fatty
|
Road Master
Default Softail vs. Road King Passenger Comfort

Hey. I’m debating on what bike to get and considering LRS/Fatbob or RKS. I plan to have my kid as a passenger sometimes and want her to feel comfortable. Is there really any difference between the two platforms on shorter rides for a passenger? I’ve owned touring, softail and dyna platforms before but never had a passenger to get a point of reference.

Old 02-07-2022 | 09:40 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

This is the continual dream of finding one HD model that satisfies all needs.

I went from a Nightrain to a Road King. I wanted something that would go on 5500 mile trips (which I had done on the Nightrain) and still feel like a motorcycle to me. The winds in the western U.S. convinced me that I needed more weight. I don't care about radios, music, etc. but then I'm not riding as a passenger.

I felt that the Road King was a good compromise which I could add as much bulk to that as I wanted... and a windshield handled the rain and wind well enough for me. My RK would run forever on an >interstate<. but in parking lots, hilly or mountainous towns it sucks... especially when you are tired from riding long distance. My Nightrain was hung on like a camel with the minimum I wanted to take along with me. The road king fixed that and I fixed the music with my cell and a Sena for both myself and a passenger.

My view of a Road Glide (probably the most stable of the HD big bikes) is that it is a couch with a motor. There is nothing wrong with that if it is what you like but a Softail doesn't cut it when it goes for distance riding (comfort gets more important the older you get). I wanted something more nimble since I have ridden in most of the states in the lower 48 so my Sport Glide is heads and shoulders above the Road King... but it cuts a long day ride in half.

The short of it is that a Road King is a compromise between a Heritage Classic and a full dresser... and that worked for me for a lot of miles and years. I have had a passenger on occasion and my impression is that they felt more secure on the Road King when compared to the Nightrain.

Good luck.

Last edited by cwsharp; 02-07-2022 at 09:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cwsharp:
Dirtbag_Max (02-11-2022), pab3rd (02-09-2022), rauchman (02-13-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 10:02 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior

If you want to stay in the softail line, have better touring comfort and carry a passenger in comfort a Heritage is your answer. Over 100 lbs lighter than the RKS, will handle easier due to sitting position and weight. It has the windshield, reasonably sized bags, plenty of power with the 114 and a comfortable ride.

Old 02-07-2022 | 03:27 PM
05Fatty
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by cwsharp
This is the continual dream of finding one HD model that satisfies all needs.

I went from a Nightrain to a Road King. I wanted something that would go on 5500 mile trips (which I had done on the Nightrain) and still feel like a motorcycle to me. The winds in the western U.S. convinced me that I needed more weight. I don't care about radios, music, etc. but then I'm not riding as a passenger.

I felt that the Road King was a good compromise which I could add as much bulk to that as I wanted... and a windshield handled the rain and wind well enough for me. My RK would run forever on an >interstate<. but in parking lots, hilly or mountainous towns it sucks... especially when you are tired from riding long distance. My Nightrain was hung on like a camel with the minimum I wanted to take along with me. The road king fixed that and I fixed the music with my cell and a Sena for both myself and a passenger.

My view of a Road Glide (probably the most stable of the HD big bikes) is that it is a couch with a motor. There is nothing wrong with that if it is what you like but a Softail doesn't cut it when it goes for distance riding (comfort gets more important the older you get). I wanted something more nimble since I have ridden in most of the states in the lower 48 so my Sport Glide is heads and shoulders above the Road King... but it cuts a long day ride in half.

The short of it is that a Road King is a compromise between a Heritage Classic and a full dresser... and that worked for me for a lot of miles and years. I have had a passenger on occasion and my impression is that they felt more secure on the Road King when compared to the Nightrain.

Good luck.
Thanks for the great info. This definitely helps.

Old 02-07-2022 | 03:29 PM
05Fatty
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by NODYNA
If you want to stay in the softail line, have better touring comfort and carry a passenger in comfort a Heritage is your answer. Over 100 lbs lighter than the RKS, will handle easier due to sitting position and weight. It has the windshield, reasonably sized bags, plenty of power with the 114 and a comfortable ride.
I was also considering the Heritage but wasn’t sure on the styling. I’ll have to check it out.

Old 02-08-2022 | 05:49 PM
OrangeThunder
Tourer

The Fatbob is tight with an adult passenger. Kiddo prolly wouldn't be so bad. Sundowner seat is an absolute must. The OEM seat is good for rider only. The HC is as stated, a good blend of both with the RK adding just a wee bit more stability due to the Xtra weight. HC weighs right in @ 730 lbs, Fatbob 675, and a RKS is 820 with a RG 855. I'd imagine a std RK would be approx 20-30lbs less yet so take that into consideration. The Street Bob is the lightest of them all as far as the Softails go, it's a relatively svelte 655lbs.

Old 02-09-2022 | 08:33 AM
pab3rd
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp
r.

Good luck.
Rented a Road King this year at Sturgis. It was very comfortable on the interstate. But the roads between Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park, made we wish I had my Low Rider. Sold the Dyna when I got back and bought a softail. Kind of a compromise between handling of the dyna and comfort of the RK.

The following users liked this post:
cwsharp (02-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2022 | 07:26 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

IMO - Your compromise is a Heritage... I've owed all the mentioned.. You cant go wrong w/a RK but for mainly solo riding, Id say either the HST or if you go in that direction, the RK.. Theres nothing wrong with the other choices as long as it fits your need.

The following users liked this post:
hypecat (02-14-2022)
Old 02-10-2022 | 07:53 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Take your time and be sure you buy what you want and need.. For normal size adult and child Softail works. to adults not really. I am no fan of the RK it is nothing but s stripped down Touring bike

Old 02-14-2022 | 07:31 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 05Fatty
I was also considering the Heritage but wasn’t sure on the styling. I’ll have to check it out.
As you would guess, it is always a matter of personal opinion.

I have an 02 Dyna Wide Glide. Mini apes, badlander seat and is quite comfortable. That is; until about 80 miles. After that I start to squirm. I even started to use an Airhawk for the 100 mile+ trips.

I thought it was all about the seat until I test rode a few 2018+ Heritage bikes. Long story but I had a 2021 114 Heritage rental for 5 days - about 500 miles. Game changer! I was not tired at all after our annual 200 mile ride. That was on the stock seat. Fatter front tire than the WG.

Just after that, the local dealer had a demo day. To lock in my choice, I rode a Heritage, a Road King and a Fat Boy. I am disappointed I didn't like the RK. Awesome looking bike!! But I was sitting too straight up and pushed forward. I like to sit back - old school. Even with taller bars, I knew I wouldn't like it. The FB was awesome in a straight line but I felt it was difficult to turn. It was a struggle for me to lean. I rode the Heritage last and then I knew it was my choice immediately.

All that said, I cannot speak for passengers since I do not take any and my wife rides her own. Probably a good sissy bar would be in order no matter of your choice. Note: Keep the size of the pad in mind if you plan on ever taking luggage.

To answer your question, personally I am not wild about the "Chiclet" trim everywhere on the 2018+ The 2019 one I just purchased has an aftermarket tank bib and I plan on having the seats redone with Mean City. Tailbone injury - long story. The rest is what you make it. I can tell this, the 2018+ are lighter than the older ones with a lower center of gravity. They do not feel heavy. Colors suck. Again my personal opinion.

Last edited by bduds65; 02-14-2022 at 07:37 AM. Reason: .