2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 10:25 AM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Fat Boy

I'm wanting a new bike, I stopped in at a dealership and sat on lots of them. For some reason the Fat Boy was way more comfortable than the others. I have short legs and long back, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I really like the looks, only minor thing is I'm not crazy about the solid wheels. I didn't ride it, as they had an event going on, and would prefer to do it later. I watched some YouTube reviews, and some have said is they felt like they had to wrestle it in the tight turns. I thought I would ask that question here, do you feel its heavy in the turns? My thought is you would get used to almost anything, I have had dressers in the past, and they weren't the most nimble bikes, but always addapted.

Another question, the 22s will be out in a few weeks, would you buy a 21 now? The prices sure haven't come down to try and clear them.
I saw one used 21 with low miles, does the warrenty pick up on a used bike? I know I should have asked the salesman, but didn't think of it until now.
I have had many bikes since early 70s, some Harleys, lots of dirt bikes, even a Goldwing. I haven't rode much in the last ten years, I'm 74, but still get out occasionally.

Thanks, Ken

Old 01-03-2022, 10:53 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenelz
I watched some YouTube reviews, and some have said is they felt like they had to wrestle it in the tight turns. I thought I would ask that question here, do you feel its heavy in the turns?
No it doesnt. It only feels heavier on the freeway at 80 something when you're lane changing. But then again you're not gonna be running 80+ in turns on any cruiser.
Some perspective. Im a 128lb, 5ft10in female rider, strong is not a word that describes me. The bike feels pretty light to me to flick into a turn, but it does have less of a want to stay in a turn. It just takes a bit of awareness and watching your line, and just like any motorcycle bike goes where you look.
I came from a little electric bike to the Fat Boy and I really don't have much of an issue. I was surprised to see how much more "flickable" the fat boy is over my electric, because of how low the center of gravity is.
Anyone who says you have to muscle it around, I'm not sure what's their deal. If a small gal like me can handle it, then I don't know what's up with them.
The bike's handling benefits from some body position. Slide your butt every so slightly off the seat and lean over the tank into the inside of the turn, and it'll carry just fine through a turn without much effort.

The following users liked this post:
iHodor (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 04:31 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 125 Posts

I came off a Dyna Low Rider onto my Fat Boy. The Dyna was certainly more nimble but that has to be expected with the wide tires on the Fat Boy. But it is not something you don't get use to. It's a cruiser so it's really not meant to be a corner carver but it does handle well and rides beautifully at any speed.

As far as the solid rims... it's what makes a Fat Boy a Fat Boy. Bada$$..... And don't let anyone tell you the wind catches them, once a spoked rim is turning it's just the same. The spokes turning that fast makes for the same principal.

Being that they don't really change much year to year you'll probably get your best deal on a 2021.

Steve

Old 01-03-2022, 05:39 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,479 Likes on 1,746 Posts

the fatboy is a very easy bike to ride. most people dont really know because they dont own one. the fat tires are great. i came off a UC and i can throw this fatboy around easy

wjcbsr (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 07:41 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
No it doesnt. It only feels heavier on the freeway at 80 something when you're lane changing. But then again you're not gonna be running 80+ in turns on any cruiser.
Some perspective. Im a 128lb, 5ft10in female rider, strong is not a word that describes me. The bike feels pretty light to me to flick into a turn, but it does have less of a want to stay in a turn. It just takes a bit of awareness and watching your line, and just like any motorcycle bike goes where you look.
I came from a little electric bike to the Fat Boy and I really don't have much of an issue. I was surprised to see how much more "flickable" the fat boy is over my electric, because of how low the center of gravity is.
Anyone who says you have to muscle it around, I'm not sure what's their deal. If a small gal like me can handle it, then I don't know what's up with them.
The bike's handling benefits from some body position. Slide your butt every so slightly off the seat and lean over the tank into the inside of the turn, and it'll carry just fine through a turn without much effort.
Fran it would be great to see a video on youtube of you reviewing your bike, and telling everyone that if a 128lb woman can manuever the bike into and through corners then any competent rider can. Before I bought mine I saw at least three reviews that complained of the strength needed to muscle the bike. I'm very glad they did not dissuade me from buying one. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is such a pleasure to ride.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:03 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
Fran it would be great to see a video on youtube of you reviewing your bike, and telling everyone that if a 128lb woman can manuever the bike into and through corners then any competent rider can. Before I bought mine I saw at least three reviews that complained of the strength needed to muscle the bike. I'm very glad they did not dissuade me from buying one. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is such a pleasure to ride.
Haha, that'd be some funny shade to put out there.
Funny enough everyone and their dog, except other fat boy owners, out there tried to tell me to not get the fat boy too.
Everyone was like "YOU GOTTA GO TEST RIDE ALL THE M8 BIKES, THEN YOU WONT WANT ONE"
I gave the Fat Boy a first real ride and it just felt so well fitted for me, that well...there's a phrase I'm going to get tattooed to my left inner for arm "Never Knows Best" Even if the others are better, I'll never know, but it wont matter because I got the bike I was dreaming of and I love riding it.

The way everyone talked it seemed like I was gonna have to do pushups and lift weights or something to handle the bike, but nope, it flicks into a turn easier than my little electric I rode for 3 years.
The floorboards are something I'm absolutely in love with because they give so much positioning to work with, and confidence, that pegs would never give me.

The only issues I really have with the bike, I'd have with other models as well, so it's not like I'd have escaped them by picking another bike.
I my brain does not like the rear pedal position, its too far back and too high up for me to use safely, but I'll be solving that with a Softbrake extended pedal.
I dont like how far out the stock levers are, I want them to be closer in so my hands can better actuate them, so I got some Oberon adjustable levers.
I hate the stock mirrors, they are ugly as **** especially on the Fat Boy. So I got some replacement mirrors.

For OP though,
The best thing about this bike is that it just looks real ****ing cool. It's got a presence that no other motorcycle has. It just commands attention and riding it feels aggressive and a lot more speed hungry than I ever expected a cruiser to be.
It rides great, it feels great for my height and leg length, and every time you ride it just feels bad ***. Parking, it's hard to not stand there and stare at it, and go "damn that's really my bike isnt it?"

IBE (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 08:39 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I hate the stock mirrors, they are ugly as **** especially on the Fat Boy. So I got some replacement mirrors.

I had to laugh at this. Don't hold back Fran, tell us how you really feel. Thanks for the chuckle

Old 01-03-2022, 08:41 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I agree, it stands out from the other bikes, it looked so good, I didn't think it would be a good fit, but it was like it was built for me. Anyways, that was just sitting on it, I need a test drive.
There are a few 21s around, I talked to another dealer tonight, he has a couple, he told me he got a load of 22s in, but no Softail frames, some new alfabet soup models, he has them up on his website: https://www.treasurecoasthd.com/defa...&condition=new
I hope to report back that I closed a deal on a Fat Boy.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:48 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
I had to laugh at this. Don't hold back Fran, tell us how you really feel. Thanks for the chuckle
Lol, didnt like em enough that it made me spend 115$ to get rid of em.
Sadly these are not the mirrors I really wanted. I ordered some Arlen Ness Tearchop mirrors back a few days after I bought the bike and, they never even came off backorder before I decided to throw in the towel waiting and got these instead.
I got a whole bunch of slotted and bullet hole style stuff going on my bike so they kinda fit the theme better anyways.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:47 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,081 Likes on 5,373 Posts

The solid wheels have no effect on how they handle in wind. People have been tell me that one for 25 years it was not true then is not now. The newer FB with those size tires are going to be different you will adjust quickly. Enjoy the ride.

RICK J (09-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Fat Boy