2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:28 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenelz
I'm putting some miles on. Yestereday I took a ride, I figured around 50 miles. My odometer and trip meters were reading way off, I knew I didn't go as far as it read. . I cycled through the settings, and saw that it was in KM mode, found a Youtube that showed the fix, and I did it. On my registration it says 2800 miles, but its only got 1700 or so.
I put aound 100 miles on today, rode up to Melbourne, FL, crossed over to Meritt Island, rode down to the Sabastian area, kind of reminded me of the road to the Keys, a string of islands on a much smaller scale. Then crossed over to the mainland. Beautiful day, I started early, and it warmed up fast. I had a jacket on, wanted to shed it, but no where to put it if I took it off. I need some saddlebags, I know it will spoil the looks somewhat, but I have to be practical. I ordered some Viking bags. I am really enjoying thiis bike, it handles like a dream.

The seat ain't the best, I have a pretty tuff butt from riding bicycle a lot, but I was feeling it. It's not horrible, but it will be something I will upgrade in the future.
Glad to see you, at 74, pick up a new bike. Hope I can do the same when I get there and I'm not that far away. Enjoy your new bike. It sure is a sharp looking ride.

Last edited by gtrb; 01-09-2022 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kenelz (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 02:37 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
The 2022 FB wheels are no longer completely solid. Check out pictures on-line.
Just did. They're "ok" but I'm glad mine's not a 2022

Old 01-15-2022, 10:37 PM
BKay
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the observation. i have been riding my 19 since new and always felt a little stiff going into turns. I will give it a try once the weather warms up. Below 0 in Michigan today. Thank You.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:56 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by BKay
Thanks for the observation. i have been riding my 19 since new and always felt a little stiff going into turns. I will give it a try once the weather warms up. Below 0 in Michigan today. Thank You.
Thats the reason I'm not up there, I'm loving it in Florida. But it's hard to beat Michigan in the summer, in N. Mich I have hills, curves, empty roads, and cool temps.

I have put 600 mies on it in a little over a week so far, with a couple hudred miles on the I-95. Yesterday it was exteemly gusty, I was on the freeway going to Ft Pierce, and when passing or getting passed by trucks the wind does move you around, but I didn't think it was any different than other bikes. just stay loose and let it happen. You mentioned the curves, just look ahead where you are going, just like in a car, and it goes where its supposed to.

I put a Mephis shade windshild on it, which takes some fatiigue away on the freeways, I want some bags to stow stuff, I know it kills the looks, but I'm old, and don't care.
The seat sure could be better, my butt seems to be getting used to it. I also need cruise control, as my arthoritus is letting me know.
This is yesterday at the National Navy Seal Museum in Ft. Pierce, lots of bikes, thats my Fat Boy in front. I don't know why these pics are so big.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:01 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

I put a C&C seat on mine and it is 100 times better than the stock one:

Old 01-22-2022, 10:32 AM
Lew Carrum
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the "solid" wheels are gone, probably the bikes most distinguishing feature. Don't know why they did that??

Old 01-22-2022, 11:00 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,826 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Lew Carrum
Yes the "solid" wheels are gone, probably the bikes most distinguishing feature. Don't know why they did that??
Agreed. The Fat Boy wheels were ugly last year and they're even uglier this year.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:50 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Agreed. The Fat Boy wheels were ugly last year and they're even uglier this year.
That's a matter of opinion... they are distinctive and those of us who own them like them because they stand out from everything else. I get a lot of complements on them and at any bike night the Fatboy gets a lot of attention. I'm on the fence about the 2022 rim but I'll need to see it in person before I make a final decision on that.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:59 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,826 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteman1971
That's a matter of opinion... they are distinctive and those of us who own them like them because they stand out from everything else. I get a lot of complements on them and at any bike night the Fatboy gets a lot of attention. I'm on the fence about the 2022 rim but I'll need to see it in person before I make a final decision on that.
Of course it's opinion.Everything that's realistic has some sort of ugliness in it. Even a flower is ugly when it wilts, a bird when it seeks its prey, the ocean when it becomes violent.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:20 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 125 Posts

The rims aren't that big a deal. At first I ddin't care for them, but they grow on you. They should be easier to clean than the others, especially spokes.
I was at the dealership today, they have a few Fat Boy 22s in. I do like the new rims a little better, but again, it isn't that big a deal. Here is a link to the new one I was looking at https://www.spacecoastharley.com/New...94693?ref=list
I went there to check in the service dept to see if the 1000 mile maitenece was done like the salesman said. It had 1700 miles on it when I bought it. Yep, it was done in December.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy