2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:57 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

I had a 2011 Fat Boy a year ago, sold it for a Road Glide,and then sold that after 6 months to buy a 2020 Fat Boy - love it. Put a few extras pounds of air in the front tire if you feel it plowing and all will be well. And it looks great in any color

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Kenelz (01-05-2022), tngarren (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 10:08 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Lol, didnt like em enough that it made me spend 115$ to get rid of em.
Sadly these are not the mirrors I really wanted. I ordered some Arlen Ness Tearchop mirrors back a few days after I bought the bike and, they never even came off backorder before I decided to throw in the towel waiting and got these instead.
I got a whole bunch of slotted and bullet hole style stuff going on my bike so they kinda fit the theme better anyways.
Gotta say those DO look better than the stock mirrors. But I've tied so much money into bikes over the years chasing that "perfect" look, that for the most part I'm happy with mine as it is now. In fact, I've done less to this bike cosmetically than most of my others, mostly because I liked the looks of this one out of the box better than my others.
We do all subscribe to the fact that the price of the bike is just the down payment on the accessories and mods to one degree or another. With all you've done and plan to yet do you're already well past where I'm going with mine. Another reason I don't plan on doing much more is that I want to keep it light. My VTX 1800 ballooned up to about 850lbs by the time I was done with it. Of course it became as comfortable as a chromed out lazy boy to ride. With this one I fully intend to keep the weight down. Bad knees require it.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:49 PM
catalac
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned a 2018 for 2 years, easy bike to ride yes… comfortable bike to ride no… I kind of got sucked in by it’s looks but it’s really a bar hopper, if you want to make miles there’s way more comfy M8 bikes.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:37 AM
roadrunner1414
Road Master
Received 707 Likes on 445 Posts

Love my 2019 FB, no issues at all does everything a cruiser should do really well.

I love the solids, but if you don’t, Harley do have a Seismic rim for the FB that isn’t a solid rim.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:51 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,815 Likes on 1,175 Posts

"I thought I would ask that question here, do you feel its heavy in the turns?"

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
No it doesnt. It only feels heavier on the freeway at 80 something when you're lane changing. But then again you're not gonna be running 80+ in turns on any cruiser.
...I came from a little electric bike to the Fat Boy and I really don't have much of an issue. I was surprised to see how much more "flickable" the fat boy is over my electric, because of how low the center of gravity is.
Anyone who says you have to muscle it around, I'm not sure what's their deal. If a small gal like me can handle it, then I don't know what's up with them.

Yes it does. Well, it's heavier in the turns than most Harleys. But that shouldn't stop you from getting one. I had three Fat Boys and loved them all. Like you say, you adapt.

Still, you should know that it is a heavy bike. I have a M8 Heritage now and it handles turns better than the Fatboy, despite being in the same weight category. And just as comfortable. I suggest you try one if you haven't already.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:52 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by catalac
I owned a 2018 for 2 years, easy bike to ride yes… comfortable bike to ride no… I kind of got sucked in by it’s looks but it’s really a bar hopper, if you want to make miles there’s way more comfy M8 bikes.
What kind of seat did you have on it?

Old 01-04-2022, 01:21 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,704 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
No intention of starting a huge debate, so maybe It's a subjective matter as you suggest, and maybe even a rider size thing.
Just from my experience the bike still feels surprisingly light in turns and flicking around. Maybe it's because I'm so light that it doesn't raise the CG enough to make it harder to tip in? Even with my full gear on and a backpack with my lock in it, I don't even reach the minimum 160lbs.
It feels lighter to turn than my Electric does for sure. That's the thing that really surprised me. My electric weighs in at maybe 85lbs, and it's noticeably harder to countersteer than my Fat Boy. It felt pretty resistant to wanting to turn. But then again it's a tall seat(32inch), with a very high center of gravity with narrow bars(27inch wide bars). Going from that little Electric to my Fat Boy the bike feels easy to turn, and carries into a turn well, but slowing down a bit makes it want to stand up(slightly).
The situations where the bike does start to feel heavy is zooming down the freeway above the speed limit, especially in the HOV lane where I can find myself doing 80~100mph, that's when it starts to really feel resistant to turning.
Sometimes I feel like traffic is pushing me to go faster than I want too, but at the same time, If I see someone's starting to ride up on my back, I'll pin the throttle and take off.
Its in highspeed where the bike starts to get rather resistant to wanting to lean and turn. But down in the 30s~50s bike leans over with a fairly light touch and it's easy to keep it there.

Maybe it's because I haven't ridden a Lowrider S or something like that that the bike doesn't feel heavy, but every time I ride my fat boy, I'm always kind of amazed at how light and nimble it feels.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:48 PM
catalac
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
What kind of seat did you have on it?
saddlemen step up, was much better than stock.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 125 Posts

OP here. I took a test drive today on a Fat Boy today.. I followed the sales guy on another bike for a ride.. We did six or seven miles through vaying turns, straight aways. etc. It felt like it drove itself, no effort at all in the turns, it did some slow zig zags. . I loved every minute of it! It's a 2021 with 2800 miles on it, sales guy said previous ouner only had it six months, wanted to be able to pack more stuff for trips, and traded it in for a Road King.. I bought it, I will post pics when it gets here.

The following users liked this post:
YHNYDad (01-08-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 08:20 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,704 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenelz
OP here. I took a test drive today on a Fat Boy today.. I followed the sales guy on another bike for a ride.. We did six or seven miles through vaying turns, straight aways. etc. It felt like it drove itself, no effort at all in the turns, it did some slow zig zags. . I loved every minute of it! It's a 2021 with 2800 miles on it, sales guy said previous ouner only had it six months, wanted to be able to pack more stuff for trips, and traded it in for a Road King.. I bought it, I will post pics when it gets here.
Nice!
How heavy are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious if rider weight might have to do with the effort it takes to handle the fat boy.
Don't forget to post in the Everything Fat Boy thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...oy-thread.html

Quick Reply: Fat Boy