2018+ Softail Models Breakout

FXLRS Risers questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021 | 08:49 PM
Elite021
|
Cruiser
Default FXLRS Risers questions

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I’m hoping someone can answer some questions about risers on my ‘21 FXLRS. I’m 5’-10” and looking to add some 6.5” Thrashin Supply risers. I’ve read a ton of conflicting things about whether or not cable extensions are needed for the electrical wires and longer clutch cable and brake line are needed.

Can someone possibly answer this question? I’ve seen the posts saying to re route the cables and pull more slack out for the blinker cable from the handlebars. Then I also read that some people do not have near enough slack for any of the cables. I don’t want to have anything that is going to cause wear or damage over time. I’d rather just get longer cables if that’s what I have to do.

Also, is there a certain riser length where I won’t have to change cables? Is 6.5” risers too much for stock cables?

I’m sorry if this has been covered but I saw a lot of conflicting things. I really appreciate any help. Sorry if this is too long, I’m new to this. Thanks

Old 12-21-2021 | 02:25 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Elite021
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I’m hoping someone can answer some questions about risers on my ‘21 FXLRS. I’m 5’-10” and looking to add some 6.5” Thrashin Supply risers. I’ve read a ton of conflicting things about whether or not cable extensions are needed for the electrical wires and longer clutch cable and brake line are needed.

Can someone possibly answer this question? I’ve seen the posts saying to re route the cables and pull more slack out for the blinker cable from the handlebars. Then I also read that some people do not have near enough slack for any of the cables. I don’t want to have anything that is going to cause wear or damage over time. I’d rather just get longer cables if that’s what I have to do.

Also, is there a certain riser length where I won’t have to change cables? Is 6.5” risers too much for stock cables?

I’m sorry if this has been covered but I saw a lot of conflicting things. I really appreciate any help. Sorry if this is too long, I’m new to this. Thanks
Not everybody has the same mechanical ability, so even an easy 5.5" riser install can turn into a mess. I don't like a mess; I want a stock routing of wires and cables/hoses without having to pull on things a lot or remove the gas tank. So, I was able to get there using 5.5" pullback risers and an upper clutch cable from a FXLR (37200218).
By starting a new thread you're probably going to get more conflicting information, I did a simple post search using the word "risers" to view lots of tips for installing risers.

I'm about your height, here's a pic of my bike with the 5.5" pullback risers, they cost about $60 at the time.

Last edited by OldMike; 12-21-2021 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 12-21-2021 | 07:04 AM
Elite021
|
Cruiser

I really appreciate the reply. You pretty well confirmed my thoughts. I didn’t really want to “stretch” any cables so I will probably go the route you specified. Also, the bike looks great. That bar height looks really good and I’m sure it makes a huge difference with comfort on longer rides. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2021 | 07:08 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

I really appreciate the reply. You pretty well confirmed my thoughts. I didn’t really want to “stretch” any cables so I will probably go the route you specified. Also, the bike looks great. That bar height looks really good and I’m sure it makes a huge difference with comfort on longer rides. Thanks!
It does, you'll forget about having to reach for the bars. It's a more natural position for riders our size.

Old 12-21-2021 | 10:32 AM
Elite021
|
Cruiser

That’s good to hear! Did you keep the stock handlebar?

Old 12-21-2021 | 11:21 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

That’s good to hear! Did you keep the stock handlebar?
Yes.

Old 12-25-2021 | 02:29 PM
WellAimedRound
Advanced

NAMZ makes simple plug and play cable extensions that keep you from pulling wires out of the bars if needed and FatBaggers makes the clutch cable extensions in different lengths if you’re going more than 5.5” pull back risers and stock bar. Even with the 5.5” I had to route my clutch cable on the opposite side for enough slack to keep in running thru the top clamp hole. If I hadn’t, I would have to paid the $115 for the 4” clutch cable extension. There was plenty of slack in the cables for the extra 1 1/4” of rise over the stock risers. At first, I didn’t think there was until I pulled the rubber cover on the left side of the frame where the connections are hidden. A lot of them had the excess cable stuffed in there to my surprise. Personally, I wish I could find 4.5-5.5 risers that had more pull back than rise now that I went with the fairing mount gauges and low profile tank dash cover from DarkParts. Good Luck & Merry XMas everyone.

Old 12-26-2021 | 12:53 PM
Elite021
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WellAimedRound
NAMZ makes simple plug and play cable extensions that keep you from pulling wires out of the bars if needed and FatBaggers makes the clutch cable extensions in different lengths if you’re going more than 5.5” pull back risers and stock bar. Even with the 5.5” I had to route my clutch cable on the opposite side for enough slack to keep in running thru the top clamp hole. If I hadn’t, I would have to paid the $115 for the 4” clutch cable extension. There was plenty of slack in the cables for the extra 1 1/4” of rise over the stock risers. At first, I didn’t think there was until I pulled the rubber cover on the left side of the frame where the connections are hidden. A lot of them had the excess cable stuffed in there to my surprise. Personally, I wish I could find 4.5-5.5 risers that had more pull back than rise now that I went with the fairing mount gauges and low profile tank dash cover from DarkParts. Good Luck & Merry XMas everyone.
Thanks for the reply. I really would like to keep the cables routed in the same place as stock if possible. I am not sure what it’ll cost for that install but I’m sure it’ll be significant. If I do the risers and longer cables, I’ll likely do all the other handlebar upgrades at the same time. I want to do new grips and levers too. I’m sure that won’t add much to the work time. I guess I need to call the dealership and ask.

I agree that I wish I could find risers with more pull back than rise as well. The height is pretty much fine, just need the handlebars closer to me. I just don’t like the slight lean forward. In town and short rides it’s fine. Anything over an hour and half, my shoulders start to hurt. I didn’t notice it until I took my first long ride. I hadn’t even thought about risers until then.