2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Belt tension and alignment question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 08:05 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Belt tension and alignment question.

Hi guys

I have quick question. Lately I brought my bike to dealer for tire change. My bike 2019 Heritage experienced infamous belt squeak as many had experienced due to too tight belt. I asked dealer to adjust the alignment and belt tension. I got the bike test rode it to max speed and everything seems fine no wooble, belt squeak etc. All seems to be good.

Today I purchased belt tensioner tool and I decided to check dealers job. Instead of adjusting belt so it would move 4.5 notches on belt tension window (which would indicate 9/16” slack which would be in specs and what I wanted) these dummies loose my belt to the degree that I can move it up to 9 notches (in the belt guard window) which would mean 18/16” since each groove width is 1/16” as per manual.

I am considering adjusting the belt but wouldn't want to mess with alignment so I thought I can make a dot on axle adjustment screw (one pushing axle in the swingarm) and turn it let say half turn on each side to increase tension till proper specs. I thought this way I could keep up alignment proper while still adjust my belt.

What do you guys think? Will this method work?

Side question. Did you notice tension of your belt to increase after you ride it for a while or under heavy load with passant and filled up bags etc? If yes how much tighter it is?

Last edited by Burbur2; 11-10-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:14 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,789 Likes on 2,370 Posts

If you measure the graduations in that window, you may find that they are not 1/16" like the manual says they are. This is why I only use a tape measure.

If you still need to adjust it, your method will work.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:35 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
If you measure the graduations in that window, you may find that they are not 1/16" like the manual says they are. This is why I only use a tape measure.

If you still need to adjust it, your method will work.
I actually checked graduation marks and these were spot on 1/16” each and yes this belt has double slack of max amount recommended so I think I will have to do something about it 😢.

Bike rides fine but from my research looks like it might cause belt to skip teeth if too loose and damage belt which would be a shame.

Since thread on adjustment screws is evenly spaced I thought same thing that if I will mark it and control how many turns I do on both sides this should work.

Hope others will chime in as well to assure me this logic is valid as I dont want to mess something up.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:07 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,846 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
I actually checked graduation marks and these were spot on 1/16” each and yes this belt has double slack of max amount recommended so I think I will have to do something about it 😢.

Bike rides fine but from my research looks like it might cause belt to skip teeth if too loose and damage belt which would be a shame.

Since thread on adjustment screws is evenly spaced I thought same thing that if I will mark it and control how many turns I do on both sides this should work.

Hope others will chime in as well to assure me this logic is valid as I dont want to mess something up.
The adjuster threads are both the same dimensions as in threads per inch, so yes they are "evenly spaced". I don't bother marking anything, I just carry out the same adjustment each side, 1/8 turn on the left adjuster = 1/8 turn on the right adjuster and so on. Though this method is based on your rear wheel being centred to start with. Measure the exposed adjuster length first if in any doubt.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:12 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,799 Likes on 3,163 Posts

Regardless of how you address it, a loose belt is doomed to be a broken belt sooner than later. Better tight than loose.

The following users liked this post:
natural gasser (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:27 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,986 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Only questions are you checking belt tension in the same way as the dealer and did either of you do the check incorrectly?

Some bikes on the stand some... etc.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:48 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I adjust mine upright with all the weight of the bike on it at 5/8 of an inch at the tightest spot. If I adjust it to the specs in the manual I get the dreaded squeal. If you turn the adjusters the same amount on each side it will stay in alignment (assuming it is to begin with).

Old 11-11-2021, 08:51 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Thank you guys let me provide some additional info here. I used belt tensioner tool and check belt while bike is on kickstand, cold, no weight on the bike as per manual so I think I am doing this part correctly. As I measured it I am at 14/16 loose for now.

Here are factors that made me question if I should adjust this belt to tighter spec:

1. As said by one of the posters if adjusted to factory specs there is this squeak which is obvious sign of belt that is too tight.

2. based on what I researched on our forum after bike warms up this tension might increase up to 1/4” which if is true would put me in the 10/14” during this conditions so I would be tad over specs

3. looks like Hulkass also mention specs vary depending on if the bike is on kickstand or vertically which again tight the belt (btw would like to get link to this post if anyone has it)

4. additional load could potentially affect tension by about 1/8” from what I have seen proven to be true on one of YouTube experiments

So if I combine all these factors I wonder what to do? Feels lika adjustment would be the right thing but I am afraid this squeak will be back this way and I will end up being too tight during normal operating conditions 🤯

At least you guys confirmed my idea of marking adjustment bolts and counting turns during adjustment should work so I can keep my alignment in check so this is good news.

Please let me know what you think?

Old 11-11-2021, 09:25 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

14/16 more commonly known as 7/8 is too loose. The belt gauge on my bike is in 1/8 increments. There is a fine line between squeak and no squeak. I have found what works best for me as posted above.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:06 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sandrooney
14/16 more commonly known as 7/8 is too loose. The belt gauge on my bike is in 1/8 increments. There is a fine line between squeak and no squeak. I have found what works best for me as posted above.
Each mark is 1/16” according to manual. Here I wonder if anyone that is in warmer states (already cold mode here) can be so kind and check how much difference they experience before and after ride as far as belt tension? I will really appreciate that as this will help me to make more educated decision.

Quick Reply: Belt tension and alignment question.