2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Belt tension and alignment question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 02:13 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

One simple way to check your alignment, which is different between different models and years of course) is to elevate the rear wheel and spin it... and your belt should retain a consistent space between the rear pulley flange and the belt. If the belt "walks" over to one flange or the other then you can visualize which way you need to adjust the alignment. Once it behaves itself it is aligned. Sport Glides (and other softails, I imagine) want you to adjust belt tension with the bike "unloaded" so that makes it simpler. Once you have the tension set, then check the alignment. Adjust the alignment and if you no longer like the tension, count the faces for increasing or decreasing the tension and then check the alignment again with the spin the wheel method. There is usually enough latitude, however, in the allowable tension that your alignment adjusting won't screw up the tension.

The following users liked this post:
24v (11-14-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:36 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts

Guys I think I figured this out after gathering more info. This is what I learned so far. Bike sitting on kickstand and vertically will cause big difference in belt tension. Check it out if you want and please let me know as I would like to gather more data on this.

From what I see now the difference can be up to 1/4” of belt tension just by putting bike vertically. So consider this you adjust your belt to 1/2”-9/16” (on kickstand no load as per spec in service manual) and now you put your bike in regular riding position (vertical) so if you deduct this 4/16 you end up at 5/16 which is less then minimum recommended tightness already.

Now add expansion of the pulley during normal riding conditions that will tight this belt even more and where do you land - in extremely tight belt way below specs. This is what I learned so far.

Unfortunately it is too cold to ride on my end to see how much tighter belt will get when after riding (warm condition) but I definitely verified belt tension differences between service manual adjustment (on kickstand) vs bike in vertical position.

Now add rider and load to it all and you are in trouble with super tight belt at the end. Thats my theory here. Service manual adjustment might be incorrect and might be better to adjust your belt in bike in vertical position not on kickstand.

Please feel free to put holes in my theory as I am sure we all can learn something here.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:43 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Guys I think I figured this out after gathering more info. This is what I learned so far. Bike sitting on kickstand and vertically will cause big difference in belt tension. Check it out if you want and please let me know as I would like to gather more data on this.

From what I see now the difference can be up to 1/4” of belt tension just by putting bike vertically. So consider this you adjust your belt to 1/2”-9/16” (on kickstand no load as per spec in service manual) and now you put your bike in regular riding position (vertical) so if you deduct this 4/16 you end up at 5/16 which is less then minimum recommended tightness already.

Now add expansion of the pulley during normal riding conditions that will tight this belt even more and where do you land - in extremely tight belt way below specs. This is what I learned so far.

Unfortunately it is too cold to ride on my end to see how much tighter belt will get when after riding (warm condition) but I definitely verified belt tension differences between service manual adjustment (on kickstand) vs bike in vertical position.

Now add rider and load to it all and you are in trouble with super tight belt at the end. Thats my theory here. Service manual adjustment might be incorrect and might be better to adjust your belt in bike in vertical position not on kickstand.

Please feel free to put holes in my theory as I am sure we all can learn something here.and hope to help someone out in the future

Old 11-12-2021, 06:28 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Each mark is 1/16” according to manual. Here I wonder if anyone that is in warmer states (already cold mode here) can be so kind and check how much difference they experience before and after ride as far as belt tension? I will really appreciate that as this will help me to make more educated decision.

The manual says 1/6 but measure it for yourself. Mine measures increments of 1/8 or as you might say 2/16.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sandrooney
The manual says 1/6 but measure it for yourself. Mine measures increments of 1/8 or as you might say 2/16.
In fact I measured it with a tape and each “bar” and each “space” shown on picture is exactly 1/16” as shown on the picture. In other words distance #2 shown on the picture between arrows is 3/16”

Old 11-12-2021, 01:57 PM
sandrooney
Road Master

That's not the case on my 18 Heritage or any other Harley I have ever owned. Hope you get it figured out.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:32 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

That's not the case on my 18 Heritage or any other Harley I have ever owned. Hope you get it figured out.
Here is the picture of belt tension window from 2019 Heritage. Not sure what I am missing here as I have 8 “bars” and 8 “spaces” total of 16 in one inch next to measuring tape so to me looks like each bar and each space is exactly 1/16”. Where do you say I am incorrect in what I posted? I truly want to figure it out in case I am doing something wrong here so I am open for constructive criticism so feel free to correct me.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:20 PM
sandrooney
Road Master

I measure from the bottom of one space to the bottom of the next space which is an eighth of an inch, or center to center is 1/8, or top to top is 1/8. Are you calling that mark you have on the guard 9/16 from the bottom mark. If so that is wrong. That mark would be just over an inch.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:27 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

I measure from the bottom of one space to the bottom of the next space which is an eighth of an inch, or center to center is 1/8, or top to top is 1/8. Are you calling that mark you have on the guard 9/16 from the bottom mark. If so that is wrong. That mark would be just over an inch.
Yes I agree on this center to center between bars (or spaces) would be 1/8” yes. Glad we are on same page thanks man. I am wondering if it is possible to adjust belt without removing muffler? Hope to hear some opinions here soon on this as well

Old 11-13-2021, 06:06 AM
sandrooney
Road Master

Quick Reply: Belt tension and alignment question.