Best budget slip ons???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 07:26 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
No. Get some TAB slip ons with zombie baffles. They are not free but you will smile when you start the bike.

https://www.tabperformance.com/harle...p/131-1290.htm

Slip on mufflers cannot void the warranty. And you can install yourself in one hour with two beers including finding the tools and putting them away.
OP; I'd check w/ your dealer...HD's become uber-**** w/ any/all after-market parts & the manual states "use of aftermarket performance parts may void all, or part of your limited warranty." Unless you get their Ok, or buy supplemental coverage/plan, I wouldn't risk it...your bike tho.

The following users liked this post:
KissMyDrums (09-14-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:36 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Cool Dealer's Advice Will Lead to Warranty Problems

If you bought the bike new or if it has warranty, the dealer's advice will cause you warranty problems. MANY posts on this subject.

You have many questions to answer before making a choice.
1. If the bike has 1k miles, I would wait to do anything until after the 1k service. The 1k service is the most important one; it is where the bike is fully checked after initial break-in to make sure it is properly tuned and torque specs are correct.

2. Once you are ready to have the Stage 1 upgrade performed, you have several other decisions to make.
a. How important is maintaining the warranty to you?
b. Do you plan to have Stage 2 or higher upgrades performed? This choice will affect your decisions on both the slip-ons and higher flow air cleaner you need.
c. How important is compliance with local noise ordinances and out of state travel to you?
d. Do you plan to do much two-up riding or mostly solo?

I have a 2019 M8 107 engine with the Stage 1 Upgrade. The Stage 1 upgrade is definitely worth the money and will lead to better performance and engine life. But, you will need to do the full upgrade--higher flow air cleaner, slip-ons, and a new tune of the bike. Just doing the slip-ons isn't a good idea! Don't go cheap! Bad decisions will cost you money down the road.

HD dealers vary widely in quality of product knowledge and accuracy of advice! Too many of them just want to take your money and see you as a cash cow; it is the downside to owning a Harley. My advice is to read the many very good posts on this site and You Tube on stage upgrades and related components, talk with experienced local bikers, and be patient on making changes. You will learn a lot about your Harley and your preferences in your first six-months of ownership. If you find you have any fitment issues, address these first.

FYI. I have the S&S Grand National slip-ons on my bike and am very satisfied.

Notice the S&S mufflers are shorter than the OE mufflers. Makes checking rear tire pressure easier.

KissMyDrums (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 10:11 AM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

My dealer had no issues with warranty with slip-ons. The main powertrain warranty issue comes into play once you plug a tuner in. Every time a vehicle goes into the dealer they plug it in to read the ECM and that gets sent to Harley along with warranty work. If the ECM is altered, then the powertrain is voided. Now obviously if you damage something while installing something then I can't see them covering it. A set of slip-ons on a 107 should be ok. I would also just call and ask your dealer, "Does installing just slip-ons affect my warranty." Chances are your fine as HD dealers get paid for warranty. This all started as part of the emissions lawsuit. Where Harley was honoring warranty work on bikes that were tuned for race only exhaust (non-epa complient). But again to be safe, just call. And I would keep my OEM slip-ons just in case.

KissMyDrums (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Joe Black
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Sharkroad

Old 09-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Buddy Shagmore
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I put HD Screaming Eagle slipons on my Heritage 107. Deep and rumbly. Not too loud. Didn't need to buy a tuner and re-tune. I'm satisfied with the sound and performance.

KissMyDrums (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 06:13 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,902 Likes on 2,431 Posts

I have a heritage 114 and love my v and h eliminators

KissMyDrums (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:04 PM
KissMyDrums
Novice
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
No. Get some TAB slip ons with zombie baffles. They are not free but you will smile when you start the bike.

https://www.tabperformance.com/harle...p/131-1290.htm

Slip on mufflers cannot void the warranty. And you can install yourself in one hour with two beers including finding the tools and putting them away.
That sounds great and that price is fine. Maybe I worded my post wrong. I'm fine with $500-$1,000 I just want the best sounding for the lowest cost. Meaning if Gucci has one for $2000 and Tab has the same sounding one for $500, I want the $500 one...

Old 09-12-2021, 08:16 PM
KissMyDrums
Novice
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any plans to do performance upgrades and prob never will as I don't care about speeding or racing. I'm happiest at 60mph and just chillin'. Though I do want that deep rumble I hear all over the road...

Do I "have to" tune the bike after installing slipon's? Or will it run fine without it?

Last edited by KissMyDrums; 09-12-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:56 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

There's always something in the for sale section here .

KissMyDrums (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:30 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

[QUOTE=KissMyDrums;20176775]I don't have any plans to do performance upgrades and prob never will as I don't care about speeding or racing. I'm happiest at 60mph and just chillin'. Though I do want that deep rumble I hear all over the road...

Do I "have to" tune the bike after installing slipon's? Or will it run fine without rong thread disregard

Quick Reply: Best budget slip ons???