2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Harley-Davidson Slim Challenged by BMW R18

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:45 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rc51owner
Have *you* riden one? I have and it has a lot going for it even compared to the M8 softails. The engine is more characterful than the M8, and has more torque lower down without having to resort to Harley's stage x bullshit. The bike is well made with nice details. It has presence and is a nice relaxing bike to ride. It also rides better than softails. I own a 2019 Fatbob.

Cheers,

M
I have ridden them, the 18, the classic, the b. I rode the 18 and the classic at Laconia and the b at Sturgis.
Fit and finish is on par with Harley, gearings too tall and there is an issue with the clutch (may be misadjusted they all seem to slip) rides nice, comfortable. Power band is poor. Foot controls suck. Won’t take any sales from the Harley faithful. This is for the BMW purists. I didn't think it road any better than my '18 Heritage.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...al-first-ride/

The following users liked this post:
Nightrodsteve (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

It looks cheap ,even cheaper than the recent Indians and that stuff is cheap ****.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:50 PM
Nightrodsteve
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Think they look ok ,but having just bought a 21 slim and peviously owning 5 HDs i wasnt going to jump ship over to BMW.I live in OZ and i dont expect to see many R18s here.

Harman (10-05-2022)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:51 PM
Carl Childers
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 91 Posts

+1 on the ugly exhaust on the Beemer. I'm very biased here when it comes to the two motorcycles, as a Softail Slim owner, a bike that ticks all the visual boxes for me the BMW comes in a distant second by comparison. BMW makes some nice motorcycles, they have there niche and Harley has theirs, BMW should stick with what they know and leave cruisers to the originator of the concept and not build poor imitations based on their flat twin platform, These bikes will become unloved orphans just like there last attempt at a cruiser bike.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:47 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,902 Likes on 2,431 Posts

The sole purpose for this bike is for the metric riders who wont ride an HD because theyve bashed them their entire lives. An HD guy wont ride one so theres no x-over. I own a Triumph and my dealer is an BMW / Triumph dealer. I test rode one for giggles. Its not a bad bike, the ergos are a bit weird, the exhaust is hideous. Its not a bad bike, just not for me. Dealers are not moving them. This is the bike for your buddy who constantly says HDs suck and your bike blah blah blah but neither he or his wife can take their eyes off your bike when they come over... It reminds me very much of when I had vintage Vettes at car shows years ago and the Porsche guys did exactly the same (while there GFs are looking at your ride and really dont care about the drama)....

So lets see - I may have pissed off BMW and Porsche guys in 1 thread. lolol...

The following 2 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
Carl Childers (09-09-2021), krabun (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 10:20 AM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

There's something about BMW cruisers that just don't look right to me. Don't get me wrong, the 1200GS, R Nine T, S1000RR, and others look great. But the cruisers just look goofy, like that R1200C in that James Bond movie back in the late 90's. I find myself staring at it like a Honda DN-01, just left speechless, like that scene in Stand By Me where they came across the dead body. That R18 looks like it should have a rotary airplane engine in it, as a one of a kind, sitting in Jay Leno's garage.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:54 AM
Carl Childers
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by motorend
There's something about BMW cruisers that just don't look right to me. Don't get me wrong, the 1200GS, R Nine T, S1000RR, and others look great. But the cruisers just look goofy, like that R1200C in that James Bond movie back in the late 90's. I find myself staring at it like a Honda DN-01, just left speechless, like that scene in Stand By Me where they came across the dead body. That R18 looks like it should have a rotary airplane engine in it, as a one of a kind, sitting in Jay Leno's garage.
Yep, I own a BMW 1200 GSA so I'm not a Beemer hater, their cruisers just don't work for me.

Harman (10-05-2022)
Old 09-09-2021, 11:07 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,902 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by motorend
Totally agree. Before I bought my T120, I looked hard at the RnineT Pure and I still want a K1600 GT. The cruisers?.....

Old 09-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

I didn't get a chance to ride one, but did through my leg over one at the dealer when I was searching. Fit and finish is superb and the bike looks freaking amazing. I think the rake is WAY to long and the bike felt heavy of the kickstand to me. Even more so than the Harleys.
Cool bike if you are into that sort of riding and Harley isn't your thing. I also rode the Indian lineup and just felt cheap all the way around. Sort of like the Japanese cruisers.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:52 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Totally agree. Before I bought my T120, I looked hard at the RnineT Pure and I still want a K1600 GT. The cruisers?.....
I was very close to buying the Rnine T Urban. Found a used one I really liked. The look is Adv-Cool if that was a category. lol

rc51owner (09-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Slim Challenged by BMW R18