2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2019 FXFBS Fat Bob 114

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021 | 09:59 PM
ChrisOcean
|
Intermediate

Part of the reason i love this bike is BECAUSE OF the headlight! I think it looks sick as F@*K!
I took an 18 for a test ride before going to get this one and i had it over a buck in 4th gear and still had two more to burn through so she's quick and agile for sure, but man it's peppier than my sporty was.
The Dual Disc is super nice, i used to race rockets so for me that's normal and i love to see it on this bike, so i'm happy there.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by RocketyMan
I have an '18 FXFBS and absolutely LOVE the thing. The headlight on this bike gets a bad rap just because of looks. But lemme tell you, the coverage the headlight on the fat bob is AMAZING at night. I have a daymaker on my FLSTSB and it sucks in comparison to the fat bob headlight. This is a very quick bike in comparison to the TC softails. Absolutely love this platform as it is way more "flickable" than previous generation.

Because it's on one of those change-over years, I would recommend upgrading to the 8-lob factory HD oil pump. It's $120ish and not super difficult. This would be the perfect opportunity to do a simple STAGE II cam with like a S&S475 or Woods 22X. This thing is an absolute ripper. If I go strictly all HWY miles, I can get 48MPG going 80ishMPH.

I also love the dual full-floating disc rotors up front with the solid-mounted calipers. NISSIN Brakes are great brakes. Much better than the 'olden days with the "banana-clip" caliper.

Riding position is rather comfortable for me. I did get 3" bar risers for the stock bars. They are perfect for someone circa 6' tall.

The gauge cluster is perfect for what I want. I'm more interested in TACH than speedometer as I can hone in my twist-angle based upon engine speed and gear indicator. Great bike.

Old 08-20-2021 | 10:07 AM
RocketyMan
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChrisOcean
Part of the reason i love this bike is BECAUSE OF the headlight! I think it looks sick as F@*K!
I took an 18 for a test ride before going to get this one and i had it over a buck in 4th gear and still had two more to burn through so she's quick and agile for sure, but man it's peppier than my sporty was.
The Dual Disc is super nice, i used to race rockets so for me that's normal and i love to see it on this bike, so i'm happy there.
I think the front headlight is pretty similar to the Pan America and the new upcoming sporster. It is so useful on dark roads.

The brakes are really nice. I think most 114s come with ABS included automatically, so the FXFBS will have ABS. ABS on the rear wheel can be a bit touchy, but I've had it actuate on moderate braking when using both front&rear brakes at the same time. You'll feel it pulsate--and it's nice to know that it's there to ultimately stop faster but also keep the bike upright!

The following users liked this post:
ChrisOcean (08-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2021 | 12:56 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

That is the reason I bought my Fat Bob. I started on a 2012 48 and hated the low lean angle so went to a 2016 Roadster. Loved that bike but when the Softail Fat Bob came out, I knew it was a better version of the Roadster I was on. Took a test ride and went home on it the next day.

The following users liked this post:
ChrisOcean (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021 | 07:52 AM
ChrisOcean
|
Intermediate

SAME!!! Riding this thing it doesn't sit as forward as the sporty which i loved, but this is just fine! It's like a worn in glove for baseball it just fits right!

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
That is the reason I bought my Fat Bob. I started on a 2012 48 and hated the low lean angle so went to a 2016 Roadster. Loved that bike but when the Softail Fat Bob came out, I knew it was a better version of the Roadster I was on. Took a test ride and went home on it the next day.

Old 08-21-2021 | 07:54 AM
ChrisOcean
|
Intermediate

I was under the impression that since it's ABS the front and rear work together in tandem until about 20mph or less, then you can peddle each one to effect, but at speeds it doesn't matter?

I think the front headlight is pretty similar to the Pan America and the new upcoming sporster. It is so useful on dark roads.

The brakes are really nice. I think most 114s come with ABS included automatically, so the FXFBS will have ABS. ABS on the rear wheel can be a bit touchy, but I've had it actuate on moderate braking when using both front&rear brakes at the same time. You'll feel it pulsate--and it's nice to know that it's there to ultimately stop faster but also keep the bike upright!

Old 08-22-2021 | 02:10 AM
RocketyMan
Tourer

I was under the impression that since it's ABS the front and rear work together in tandem until about 20mph or less, then you can peddle each one to effect, but at speeds it doesn't matter?
Not sure I understand exactly, but they're not linked braking.

Old 08-30-2021 | 10:12 AM
ChrisOcean
|
Intermediate

Pretty sure they are! This is an feature that i'm pretty sure our bikes have, granted this is for a different bike, but i was told it was the same thing for ours?
  • Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS

All 2014 Harley-Davidson® Touring models are available with the new Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a factory-installed option. Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson® motorcycle models, and a factory-installed option on the Road King® and Street Glide® models.

Not sure I understand exactly, but they're not linked braking.

Old 08-30-2021 | 10:50 AM
RocketyMan
Tourer

Pretty sure they are! This is an feature that i'm pretty sure our bikes have, granted this is for a different bike, but i was told it was the same thing for ours?
  • Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS

All 2014 Harley-Davidson® Touring models are available with the new Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a factory-installed option. Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson® motorcycle models, and a factory-installed option on the Road King® and Street Glide® models.
That's very interesting. It seems to be a touring model feature. Can you find anything stating that feature is offered on the softail models?