2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Help ! I screwed up my FXLRS clutch side

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 08:23 PM
Guitarsark
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help ! I screwed up my FXLRS clutch side

Im hoping someone can help me here as I really dont want to take my bike to the shop and wait forever for help. This morning I installed avon grips and 1fngr brake and clutch levers on my fxlrs. there is something not right with the clutch side now. the grip and clam shell do not stay in place. i can rotate them to the point of sliding them right off the handlebars. I think the problem is the 1fngr lever does not use the stock assembly which has a notch in it that aligns with the clam shell on that side. I am also having a very difficult time finding neutral on the bike after doing this install. I dont think my grip moved at all when my previous HD grips were installed (non-stock). I felt so good about being able to do this work myself until i noticed the exreme rotation of the new grip and clamshell. I must have done something wrong. would appreciate any help people can offer me. Thank you !!!

Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,665 Likes on 990 Posts

The "clam shell" does not come off to replace a lever. Lever is held on by a pin and snap-ring. I would double check your instalation. Perhaps your lever is too thick.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:46 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,846 Likes on 616 Posts

Putting up a few pictures of your problems would be helpful.

Some grips require glueing to the bar, some are held captive by the clamshell. Sorting out what you have will help solve the grip and the clam shell issue.

With the new lever assembly, it sounds like your clutch is now dragging. You need to reset the clutch as the workshop manual shows.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:55 AM
Guitarsark
Intermediate

thanks for the responses. i got fed up and changed everything back to how it was before and now its solid. will be sticking with harley parts from now on. may be selling grips and levers if anyone's interested..

Old 06-25-2021, 06:20 PM
FXLRyan
Tourer
Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarsark
thanks for the responses. i got fed up and changed everything back to how it was before and now its solid. will be sticking with harley parts from now on. may be selling grips and levers if anyone's interested..
Are you sure you installed everything the right way? The 1fngr clutch side replaces the whole stock housing for the stock clutch lever. The end of the cable attached directly to the new 1fngr clutch clamp. I have these levers installed on my 19 fxlr and they’re night and day better than stock

Old 06-25-2021, 08:00 PM
Guitarsark
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FXLRyan
Are you sure you installed everything the right way? The 1fngr clutch side replaces the whole stock housing for the stock clutch lever. The end of the cable attached directly to the new 1fngr clutch clamp. I have these levers installed on my 19 fxlr and they’re night and day better than stock
could you post a photo of your clutch side ? thanks..

Old 06-25-2021, 08:16 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,400 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarsark
Don't give up. It requires doing it right and in this case you missed something, Slow down look for some video's on doing it read the instruction until you understand it. Many of us have been down this road you are not the first. Most of the best parts for a Harley are aftermarket.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:24 PM
Guitarsark
Intermediate

yeah i think the clutch cable needs a major adjustment if i install those levers. the loose grip issue has me completely stumped tho. i put HD grips back on (not stock) and no slippage at all. I could littewrally pull the grip and electronics shell almost all the way off the bars with it completely screwed in. it would turn during riding and make the little peg on the 1fngr clutch lever miss the neutral button completely. it was a real mess. i like that the harley clutch lever housing fits securly over the neutral button and inserts into the electronics shell so that nothing moves around. i may hold onto the gear and let a HD mechanic try installing but wait time at HD is like a month out. Plus i'm waiting for a fairing and some new bars which are backordered until further notice. wait wait wait...