2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Check belt for proper tension

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 11:02 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Check belt for proper tension

Okay I will try to make this quick. When checking for proper belt tension on my 2020 Heritage the manual states that the proper tension is 1/2 to 9/16 of an inch deflection with the bike at ambiant temp. and setting on the jiffy stand with a 10 pound force applied to the belt. One thing I have noticed is there are some tighter spots in the belt and some looser spots in the belt. I know this because when I raise the rear wheel off the ground on my jack and I roll the rear wheel forward all the time checking the belt tension with my fingers. I notice the tighter spots and the looser spots. My question is should the belt be checked and adjusted for proper tension deflection from the tighter spot or the looser spot? I would think you should check and adjust the belt tension deflection from the tighter spot. Because as the bike heats up the belt gets tighter and if you adusted the belt from the looser spot the belt would be too tight at the tighter spot. What do you guys think? Adjust from the tighter spot or the looser spot!
BTW I have the special tool that places 10 pounds of force to the belt to check tension.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:13 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,020 Posts
The following users liked this post:
wgall20 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 01:19 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
The following 2 users liked this post by Durham man:
P51Driver (05-25-2021), wgall20 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 01:26 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Tightest point with bike on jiffy stand is the way I have always done it.

Uncle G. (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 05:24 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Always check at the tightest spot. The belt will tighten considerably when hot.

If the belt is too loose it will “chirp” on deceleration. If it’s too tight it will squeal at the tight spot when hot.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
Durham man (05-25-2021), P51Driver (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:23 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Always check at the tightest spot. The belt will tighten considerably when hot.

If the belt is too loose it will “chirp” on deceleration. If it’s too tight it will squeal at the tight spot when hot.
Thanks for your reply. Here is the delima I am having if I set the belt to 1/2 inch deflection at the tight spot then the deflection at the loose spot is 7/8 of a inch a difference of 3/8 of a inch between the tight and loose spots.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:01 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Thanks for your reply. Here is the delima I am having if I set the belt to 1/2 inch deflection at the tight spot then the deflection at the loose spot is 7/8 of a inch a difference of 3/8 of a inch between the tight and loose spots.
At this point, being that the bike is new, I'd start checking the pulleys for runout. It's rare, but it has been known to happen. It happened to me when I had my '94 FLSTN rebuilt (new OEM belt and pulleys). I had the same exact issue-I couldn't get the belt in spec at both the tight and loose spot. It turned out that the rear pulley was .020 out of round, I proved this with a dial indicator, and the dealer who did the work warrantied the pulley. That fixed my problem.

Seeing as your bike is still under warranty, I would document everything you've done and get the dealer involved from this point.

I feel your pain. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot on the belt adjustment on my '19 Heritage. The belt is either too loose when cold or too tight when hot. There seems to be no happy medium.

P51Driver (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 05:40 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

At this point, being that the bike is new, I'd start checking the pulleys for runout. It's rare, but it has been known to happen. It happened to me when I had my '94 FLSTN rebuilt (new OEM belt and pulleys). I had the same exact issue-I couldn't get the belt in spec at both the tight and loose spot. It turned out that the rear pulley was .020 out of round, I proved this with a dial indicator, and the dealer who did the work warrantied the pulley. That fixed my problem.

Seeing as your bike is still under warranty, I would document everything you've done and get the dealer involved from this point.

I feel your pain. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot on the belt adjustment on my '19 Heritage. The belt is either too loose when cold or too tight when hot. There seems to be no happy medium.
Uncle G is your belt making noise? Mine is making a noise between 30 to 20 mph when coasting down with the clutch pulled in.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:39 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Uncle G is your belt making noise? Mine is making a noise between 30 to 20 mph when coasting down with the clutch pulled in.
Yes, mine makes a "whoop whoop" sound, but only when the driveline is hot (riding 50 miles or more). I guess I'll have top ride only 40 miles at a time from now on.

P51Driver (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:43 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

I think that's a little overkill based on the OPs post. All belts and chains are going to have slightly tighter and looser spots. It's a function of manufacturing stack-up of all the components. If it was tight-loose by an excessive amount that would be different, but OP's post sounds like he is just noticing the normal tighter/looser spots.

P51Driver (05-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Check belt for proper tension