2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Check belt for proper tension

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 08:45 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

I set my belts to the looser end of specs, at the loosest point on the belt. I set the belts this way, because I believe a belt too tight will possibly damage the inner primary bearing. So, loose enough not to pull on the bearing, and tight enough not to skip has always worked for me. Just make sure to measure per your owner’s or shop manual, different bikes have different procedures.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:07 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

The rear pulley and primary pulley actually grow when they're hot ,so a short ride mightn't get it.

Aaaand it's not really rocket surgery or brain science ya know .

The following users liked this post:
porkster (05-26-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 11:33 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
I think I may have found the issue with the proper belt tension and the wah wah noise many Softail owners are having. Last night I was reading an old thread about belt tension and noisey belts. In the thread Hulkss mentioned that the the 2018+ Softail manuals states that the belt tension can be adjusted with the bike upright or on the jiffy stand with the saddlebags empty. He also mentioned that he tried the belt tension adjustment both ways upright and on the jiffy stand. He found that if he adjusted the belt to the proper spec with the bike on the jiffy stand and then checked the tension with the bike upright he found that the upright position gave a considerably tighter tension. So I decided to try for myself and wouldn't you know it Hulkss was right if I set my belt for 1/2 inch deflection with the bike on the jiffy stand and then checked the tension with the bike upright I found the tension now at about 1/4 inch deflection. So I don't know why Harley recommends setting the tension either on the jiffy stand or upright as you get a considerable difference in the tension reading. So I decided to adjust the belt with the bike in the upright position at 1/2 of deflection at the tighter spot in the belt. I took in for a ride tonight and wouldn't you know it the wah wah noise when coasting down between 30 20 mph is 90 prect gone. Now it was only about 75 " out. We will see when the temps get hotter but it seems more logical the set the belt tension in the upright position as that is the way you ride the bike. Setting tension on the jiffy stand seems to make you belt adjustment too tight there by causing more belt noise.
Any chance someone can share original post by Hulks regarding this issue?

Old 11-11-2021, 05:07 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

You can drive yourself crazy fretting about this stuff. I can tell you that most people's opinion is that slightly loose is better than slightly tight. And Harley has been notorious over the years for changing the spec on the same model with the same belt. Don't worry if it's just a smidge loose. Check the tension after a longer ride and you will see that it has tightened up considerably when it's hot

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (11-13-2021)