2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Check belt for proper tension

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 08:59 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

It's more than likely the rear pulley isn't centered 100% and creating loose and tight spots in the belt .You can slip the belt or loosen the belt , untighten then snug up the pulley bolts up so as no movement and use a dial type indicator or reference to take away high spots and center it that way. A bit of work but it may fix your issue .
And yea the coasting wuck wuck wuck is typical summer belt scenario.

The following users liked this post:
P51Driver (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 10:24 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Yes, mine makes a "whoop whoop" sound, but only when the driveline is hot (riding 50 miles or more). I guess I'll have top ride only 40 miles at a time from now on.
Is this whoop whoop sound during deceleration and at any given speeds?

Old 05-25-2021, 10:30 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

Just saw the post about 3/8" difference between loose and tight spots. What happens if you roll it fully 5 times and then 10 times and measure? There is no timing to the belt, and as it rotates through it will walk the pulleys - would be interested to see what measurements you get there. Happens with primary chains all the time.

Also, are you certain it's that much or are you rounding?

Old 05-25-2021, 11:50 PM
HDFORM
Tourer
Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

I just went threw this on my Ride, mechanics told me Adjust the drive belt on the Tight spot, Then another Mechanic (different shop) said Adjust the Drive belt on the loose spot.
My Manual said adjust drive belt on the loose spot, All models are different, Refer to your HD Service Manual.
I was in two shops for two different Reasons, and ask about the drive belt Adjustment Spot.
It did make more sense to adjust to the Tight spot, but not on my ride.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:03 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Is this whoop whoop sound during deceleration and at any given speeds?
Once the drive line is hot it’s likely always there, it’s just that you only hear it when the throttle is closed.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 05-26-2021 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:13 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by HDFORM
I just went threw this on my Ride, mechanics told me Adjust the drive belt on the Tight spot, Then another Mechanic (different shop) said Adjust the Drive belt on the loose spot.
My Manual said adjust drive belt on the loose spot, All models are different, Refer to your HD Service Manual.
I was in two shops for two different Reasons, and ask about the drive belt Adjustment Spot.
It did make more sense to adjust to the Tight spot, but not on my ride.
You don’t say which bike you have so I’m not sure if your answer is relevant. I’ve looked in the service manual for my ‘19 Softail, and it makes no mention of “loose” or “tight” spots at all. Problem is, if you set the tension per the manual at 1/2”-9/16” cold, when the bike is hot the belt is tight as a banjo string. That can’t be right under any circumstance.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 05-26-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:32 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Make sure your alignment is good and set you belt to 5/8 at the tight spot with bike on the ground in upright position. That's what I did to get rid of the noise. My alignment was way out from the factory.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:36 PM
HDFORM
Tourer
Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
You don’t say which bike you have so I’m not sure if your answer is relevant. I’ve looked in the service manual for my ‘19 Softail, and it makes no mention of “loose” or “tight” spots at all. Problem is, if you set the tension per the manual at 1/2”-9/16” cold, when the bike is hot the belt is tight as a banjo string. That can’t be right under any circumstance.
It does not matter what ride I have , The point was All models and year of ride are different, Refer to your HD Service Manual.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:32 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

This is a no brainer. How often someone throws a tire on there?
Given the circumstances, me havin to do it with lil help, been there.
Dealer doin it? Ask them chck the belt tension.
RTFM? > laffs

Old 05-26-2021, 08:34 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

I think I may have found the issue with the proper belt tension and the wah wah noise many Softail owners are having. Last night I was reading an old thread about belt tension and noisey belts. In the thread Hulkss mentioned that the the 2018+ Softail manuals states that the belt tension can be adjusted with the bike upright or on the jiffy stand with the saddlebags empty. He also mentioned that he tried the belt tension adjustment both ways upright and on the jiffy stand. He found that if he adjusted the belt to the proper spec with the bike on the jiffy stand and then checked the tension with the bike upright he found that the upright position gave a considerably tighter tension. So I decided to try for myself and wouldn't you know it Hulkss was right if I set my belt for 1/2 inch deflection with the bike on the jiffy stand and then checked the tension with the bike upright I found the tension now at about 1/4 inch deflection. So I don't know why Harley recommends setting the tension either on the jiffy stand or upright as you get a considerable difference in the tension reading. So I decided to adjust the belt with the bike in the upright position at 1/2 of deflection at the tighter spot in the belt. I took in for a ride tonight and wouldn't you know it the wah wah noise when coasting down between 30 20 mph is 90 prect gone. Now it was only about 75 " out. We will see when the temps get hotter but it seems more logical the set the belt tension in the upright position as that is the way you ride the bike. Setting tension on the jiffy stand seems to make you belt adjustment too tight there by causing more belt noise.

Quick Reply: Check belt for proper tension