Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 12:59 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 783 Likes on 385 Posts
Default 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim vs BMW R 18 First Edition Comparison

2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim vs BMW R 18 First Edition Comparison
By Brett Foote

Two legends line up for a fascinating comparison.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:57 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

The Beemer might be a great bike, but it tries too hard to be something it's not, nor can ever be. JMHO

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (02-02-2022)
Old 05-21-2021, 03:16 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

The BMW R18 featured is too expensive for what it is IMO, compared to the Slim.
Plus that engine is a terrible idea for a cruiser. Boxers sure do look cool but they are horrible for ergonomics. Not being able to position your feet in a forward position or not having the option for floorboards seems like a big potential dealbreaker, especially for taller riders.

The one cool feature the 18 has is that reverse drive system. That'd be a really cool thing to have on any bigger bike for parking and some other useful cases.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:43 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I like the R18 exposed shaft but little else. Does it even have a fuel gauge yet? The guy in the pic is already thinking about a stretch break. I suppose a few will be bought for what they are. None will be bought for what they do. I'm guessing a 3 year model run and no more. Someone at BMW is going to the woodshed.

Buddy Shagmore (05-26-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 05:58 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I'd love to try the R18 but being unable to bend my right knee even 90 degrees, I doubt I could even get my foot on the peg with those jugs sticking out. I went to a honda dealer and tried to sit on a wing and couldn't come close to being able to.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:36 AM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

I love the looks of the boxer engine, and used to have an R12. About 2 weeks ago I test rode the R18....dealer gave me 100 miles on it. I started it up and it had this very unsettling lateral motion. OK, just the engine config, can probably get used to that. Got it out on the road and just was not all that impressed so I jumped on the highway. I was so unimpressed I got off at the first exit, turned around and went back to the dealer. I own Indian, HD, Triumph, Honda, Janus, and have had several BMW's....and test ride anything I can get my hands on. This was hands down the worst bike I have ever taken out in relation to price. I was so disappointed in BMW for getting this so incredibly wrong - I could not find a redeeming quality other than the looks. The only good outcome was that all the negatives got me thinking about what I would like to have and I went out and found a near perfect 2016 Dyna Wide Glide with only 2K miles for a great price and that is now in my garage.

I would encourage cruiser people to ride the R18 and compare to softail/dyna - in my opinion there is just no comparison. HD has this space dialed in, but I am going to check out the new chief

tngarren (05-26-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 10:05 AM
rc51owner
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan03
I love the looks of the boxer engine, and used to have an R12. About 2 weeks ago I test rode the R18....dealer gave me 100 miles on it. I started it up and it had this very unsettling lateral motion. OK, just the engine config, can probably get used to that. Got it out on the road and just was not all that impressed so I jumped on the highway. I was so unimpressed I got off at the first exit, turned around and went back to the dealer. I own Indian, HD, Triumph, Honda, Janus, and have had several BMW's....and test ride anything I can get my hands on. This was hands down the worst bike I have ever taken out in relation to price. I was so disappointed in BMW for getting this so incredibly wrong - I could not find a redeeming quality other than the looks. The only good outcome was that all the negatives got me thinking about what I would like to have and I went out and found a near perfect 2016 Dyna Wide Glide with only 2K miles for a great price and that is now in my garage.

I would encourage cruiser people to ride the R18 and compare to softail/dyna - in my opinion there is just no comparison. HD has this space dialed in, but I am going to check out the new chief
Okay you didn't like it and were disappointed in it; fair enough. Can you explain why?

I rode one and felt it had presence and was soulful. I was impressed with the engine torque and how smooth the gearbox was. Thought the rocking on start up was cool and the visceral feel of the slow canter of the engine was better than the "boring" M8. I was concerned about foot room and was advised that the pegs are better for foot room then the floor boards. Though I didn't grind anything on my test ride it was a concern. Ended up buying a used Fatbob for better long term support (though there is a limited aftermarket for this model compared to others in the new Softail range - but at least it isn't as bad as the FXDR).

Cheers,

M

Old 05-22-2021, 10:37 AM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

sure:
1. I am only 5'9" with boots and felt cramped in the saddle and did not like the ergos with the reach to the handlebar. This is totally personal - so no ding on BMW there.
2. The disappointment came from the engine - for an 1800cc engine I felt that it had really poor get up and go. I was completely disappointed in the acceleration.
3. I did not feel the visceral connection like I do with HD, so there was none of that, all of the dislike of the engine, and then a price tag of 21K.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:41 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Beemers are beemers, a lot of die hard fans out there. The HD could never keep up, keep that in mind.
Want to get serious about the need for speed? The Kawasaki Ninja H2 impressed the hell out of me.
Harley people are Harley people, it's been like that for years. You are what you are.

a99miata (05-24-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 12:19 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Beemers are beemers, a lot of die hard fans out there. The HD could never keep up, keep that in mind.
Want to get serious about the need for speed? The Kawasaki Ninja H2 impressed the hell out of me.
Harley people are Harley people, it's been like that for years. You are what you are.
Potentially, the most un-insightful post I have ever read.

The following 2 users liked this post by tngarren:
harkon (02-02-2022), RUMHAM (05-28-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim vs BMW R 18 First Edition Comparison