Engine Guard fitment with Forward Controls Question On 2020 Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 11:55 AM
BikerViking
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Guard fitment with Forward Controls Question On 2020 Low Rider S

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for several months around here after purchasing my first Harley around November of last year. A brand new 2020 Low Rider S! Figured it's about time to create an account.

Anyway, I know there has been a lot covered in regards to Engine Guards; however, I have tried using the search function for hours to the point where my brain feels like it's going to explode to find a definitive answer to my question and so far have not been able to find one. I currently have genuine Harley Forward Controls installed on the bike and I am wanting to install an Engine Guard mainly so I can mount some bright lights on each side. I do a lot of travel between 2 states and take back roads to avoid tolls. some of the roads are more rural and I'm constantly encountering deer around nearly every turn, so I need to light the road up.

As far as my question...I believe I have read and seen photos of 18+ softails and at least one Low Rider S with Forward Controls and what looks to be genuine Harley Engine Guards; however, the parts page states that they do not fit a Low Rider S with Forward Controls. Is this one of those situations where they DO actually fit perfectly fine but for whatever reason Harley states they don't? If anyone could give me a definative answer on this, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2021, 06:38 PM
Klw417
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustache bar for LowRider

My 2018 Low Rider has Harley Mustache bars. I talked to my Bike Shop and they were confident that the HD Forward controls fit with this bar.

The following users liked this post:
BikerViking (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:19 PM
BikerViking
Novice

Originally Posted by Klw417
My 2018 Low Rider has Harley Mustache bars. I talked to my Bike Shop and they were confident that the HD Forward controls fit with this bar.

Awesome! Thanks. From doing more research by looking at the installation instructions for the guards and then comparing that to where the forward controls are mounted, it looks like the holes that are needed for the guards are not used for the forward controls. Unless there's a fitment issue that makes it impossible to get the holes to line up, I see no reason why they wouldn't work. Which then begs the question, why is Harley saying they do not fit...

Would love to hear from someone who has first hand experience that can either confirm or deny they will work.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:24 PM
Grundee
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

they will work. i had a sport glide that comes with those fwd controls. and i added the factory engine guard. the sport glide and low rider S are twins.
also check out the bungking highway bar/crash bar.

if you order from the HD website you get free returns, usually with no questions asked... in case you're worried

(i find the installation of the factory engine guard a pia, especially the top bolt)

BikerViking (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 PM
BikerViking
Novice

Originally Posted by Grundee
they will work. i had a sport glide that comes with those fwd controls. and i added the factory engine guard. the sport glide and low rider S are twins.
also check out the bungking highway bar/crash bar.

if you order from the HD website you get free returns, usually with no questions asked... in case you're worried

(i find the installation of the factory engine guard a pia, especially the top bolt)
NICE! That is awesome! Thanks for the help. I will probably pick them up from my local dealer since I'm getting a 10% discount on parts if I remember correctly from buying my bike new there, so can't really beat that for a 5 minute drive

Old 03-19-2021, 10:29 PM
AjaBra
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The engine guards don’t fit with extended reach forward control kits which are different from the standard forward control kits. The extended reach kits move an additional 3” forward from where forward controls are.

BikerViking (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 02:23 AM
BikerViking
Novice

Originally Posted by AjaBra
The engine guards don’t fit with extended reach forward control kits which are different from the standard forward control kits. The extended reach kits move an additional 3” forward from where forward controls are.
Ohhh, so that explains why the engine guards fit. I wasn’t aware there are two different sets of forward controls. Good to know! Thanks!