2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Speedometer Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021 | 04:48 PM
murphy0726
|
Novice
Default Speedometer Condensation

I live in South Florida and have a 2019 Heritage Softail Classic. I continue to get condensation on the inside of the speedometer glass to the point where I can't read the RPM's or the fuel gauge. I have brought this up the the service and warranty departments at my local HD dealership and they tell me that there's nothing they can do. That's it because I live in South Florida and the sun is hot. I call "BS" on that. In my opinion, HD doesn't sell certain bikes for certain climates, they sell bikes. And their bikes should all work the same everywhere!!!!
just getting out some of my frustrations.........

The following 2 users liked this post by murphy0726:
blap (02-28-2021), Dustin Bragg (02-28-2021)
Old 02-21-2021 | 04:56 PM
fossil85
Intermediate

They fog up in Wisconsin also. I guess our sun is hot too?

Old 02-21-2021 | 05:52 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

My two cents, the fog is around the small led window. Should one have to pay attention to that going down the road, you're spending too much time glancing there and not payin attention to the road.
Hopefully HD come out with a combo speedo/tach for these models soon.

The following users liked this post:
Oz Gary (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021 | 06:46 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Old 02-22-2021 | 09:54 AM
Breizh Rider
Advanced

Originally Posted by murphy0726
I live in South Florida and have a 2019 Heritage Softail Classic. I continue to get condensation on the inside of the speedometer glass to the point where I can't read the RPM's or the fuel gauge. I have brought this up the the service and warranty departments at my local HD dealership and they tell me that there's nothing they can do. That's it because I live in South Florida and the sun is hot. I call "BS" on that. In my opinion, HD doesn't sell certain bikes for certain climates, they sell bikes. And their bikes should all work the same everywhere!!!!
Just incredible to hear that !
In France I had speedo condensation too (2020 FXLR). Changed under warranty. Dealer said thet the new one is a different HD reference but still the same.
No condensation for now.

The following users liked this post:
slim.dusty107 (03-01-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 10:15 AM
Stormin70
Tourer

Originally Posted by murphy0726
Welcome to the club! The name tags are on the table by the coffee pot.

Old 02-27-2021 | 11:54 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

I drilled the holes in bottom of the speedo to fix that. Didnt have a chance to try it yet but other dude dod it with me in GA and reported it helped quite a bit. There is at least one more person on this forum that drilled his as well so we should have final results as soon as we start riding again.

Old 02-28-2021 | 12:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

They been working on it since 04. Drill a hole but hot melt a small capped bottle or if no room make a bottle from tygon tubing and fill with dryer pellets. I think if you just drill it, it could make it worst when vapor goes up and gets trapped. The top side is pretty sealed.

Old 02-28-2021 | 08:58 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

I hope no more mods beside drilling is needed. Should know in 2 months. People reported it works

Old 02-28-2021 | 06:36 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

So here is update I just received dmfrom dude in GA today after drilling holes

“Got out Tues, Wed, and Thurs this week. Friday was wet. Got out yesterday morning for event at HD dealer and it was mid 50's and foggy then cleared by the time I got home mid-afternoon. This morning was upper 50's and foggy when I left, then cloudy, and sun finally came out mid-afternoon with temp in upper 70's. I haven't seen any speedo fogging since Tues when I washed it and that was short lived. I think this is a good fix. May need another hole if it shows up in the summer but seems to a good work around. I would have normally seen fogging even in the cooler temps and especially in sunlight. Hope all is well with you!”

Quick Reply: Speedometer Condensation