2018+ Softail Models Breakout

How did you decide on your model of M8 Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021 | 04:07 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

I went from a 2010 Ultra classic that served its purpose but started to feel top heavy like I was driving a UPS truck it was just a bulky heavy bike so i went back to a softail and bought the heritage with a 114 it handles great and over 100 plus lbs lighter and can do anything the Ultra can.

The following 6 users liked this post by MikeySom:
Cage-Free (01-23-2021), Deal Breaker (01-25-2021), leftyjm (01-23-2021), rauchman (02-01-2021), rc51owner (01-24-2021), Rooster56 (02-02-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-24-2021 | 08:44 AM
ss3964spd
Tourer

Originally Posted by BCinCC
I looked at several different bikes before finding my '18 Low Rider. For me, being on the shorter side at 5'7", had to be able to sit low enough to handle the bike properly, and put feet on the ground when stopping. One of my had to have features was mid-mount foot pegs, as I really have a hard time stretching my legs to reach forward controls.

My previous bikes were all Yamaha's, several Virago's, and two Seca 750's. The first time I saw my bike, I had a feeling it was the right one for me. Once I got on, it fit me perfectly, and was very comfortable for me. I also like the 70's look of the bike, as I have always preferred a chromed out bike to a blacked out bike. And lastly, really liked the color of my bike, Electric Blue, as it really stands out from the crowd when riding.

I've kept the bike mostly stock, only adding a Harley-Davidson Hold Fast sissy bar, and luggage rack to it, along with a Harley-Davidson Onyx day bag. I like it just the way it came from the factory, and that's what matters to me.
Similar requirements for me. I didn't need or want anything with bags, wanted the larger gas tank, mid controls, two up seat, alloy wheels, low miles, and dead stock - all at a price I was willing to write a check for. Which effectively narrowed down the choices to the 2018 LR I found and ended up buying. The thing fits me like a glove, even the handle bars. I like the mix of chrome, polished aluminum, and black. Like you I added the Hold Fast rack, but also the matching sissy bar, as well as the same Onyx bag. Added LED lighting front and rear, changed the brake pads. And that's it so far. I didn't want black paint, but would have preferred a color other than white, but it has grown on me.

The following users liked this post:
BCinCC (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021 | 10:28 AM
Illinois_Minion
Road Captain

Midlife crisis, pt II. After 30ish years off the bike and daughter getting her motorcycle license, I got a '09 Sportster on a whim (got to ride along to ensure she's safe, right??). A little to buzzy, but loved it. A year later, overcompensated and added a Road Glide Ultra to the fleet. Great fun highway cruising/touring. A bit much for around town. Daughter tried the Sportster a few times, but never quite 'loved' it for whatever reason.

I want a bike for around town mostly, small trips.Something to wrench on. Simple and basic, contrasting the Glide in features. Daughter on her 250cc was motivation to trade in the Sportie for a Standard. She fit it, liked the Standard/Street Bob the most.(Blacked out is not my thing, and since I paid for it, Standard it was.) Seeing as how she'll be using it more than me, but I enjoy the hell out of it around town, I went with that. And it serves as a building block for adding "stuff" - making it different. Like everyone else.
If she graduates college on schedule, she might be surprised with a specific graduation gift.

Now a Heritage Classic keeps calling my name. And a Road King looks like fun for an old man. Just don't tell the wife....

Old 01-24-2021 | 10:51 PM
OrangeThunder
Tourer

When I went and took my MSC test, the dealer that was hosting it has pretty much every model of Harley available at the time. This was back in 2018. At that time, I owned a 2012 ZX6R. I sat on every bike there and when I came to the Fatbob, I initially liked it right away for its looks. It looks so different from the typical Harley and I love that. Then I plopped down on it and it was the only one that felt "right" to me. Fast forward to last yr, I then owned a 2019 Yamaha MT-07. Great and fun bike, but not that highway friendly. Took the Bob and a Breakout for a test ride. I knew within 5 min that the Bob was my bike. Rode it home same day and have enjoyed it ever since.

The following 3 users liked this post by OrangeThunder:
Cage-Free (01-25-2021), Deal Breaker (01-25-2021), Mart (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021 | 12:19 AM
Sean M. George
Intermediate

I had a 2011 Sportster '48. I live in St. George, UT, which has a climate like Las Vegas, NV: nice, mild winters followed by 3 months of hell. I bought it in April, didn't do much to it, ran it into June and that EVO was too much: too buzzy, too hot. I went to my local HD dealer to see what they had. Additionally, I had long wanted a 2020 vehicle of some kind, but I love my 2016 Dodge Challenger too much to get a new one. So I went to the HD dealer looking at the 2020 Softails. The Street Bob turned me off with it's small, Sportster sized gas tank, but more than, the mid-controls, but even more than that, that stupid digital dash. Same thing with the Standard. They didn't have a Low Rider, or I might have gone that route. When I saw the Slim, which is what I bought, I feel in love. The simple dash, the forward controls with footboards. I test drove it and fell in love. I've always loved the Slim in green with the white star, so this was in Barracuda Silver Denim and looked great. I've had it a year, and nearly have it where I want it: cruise control is the ****, sissy bar to carry backpack for work ****, LED lights, relocated license plate, MS RW fairing. I love the USB drive/charger on the bike, very handy. Leatherman solo seat. Now the only thing holding back the ride are those hollywood bars. In the next month, I plan on installing Wild 1 Chubby Outlawz 12" rise. I can't wait.

Cage-Free (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021 | 05:50 AM
rc51owner
Advanced

Looks and ground clearance; so the Fat Bob it had to be. It probably should have a larger tank for where I live and the lack of petrol stations (out in western Canada). But money can solve that problem if it becomes too much of an annoyance. I am looking to mount a Rotopax in the meantime.

I also like the looks of the Fat Boy but the lack of ground clearance nixed that choice. If the Street Bob had had colour options (prior to this year's release) I might have considered it small tank and all as I like the stripped down looks it has.

Cheers,

M

Cage-Free (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021 | 09:36 AM
Deal Breaker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by BCinCC
I've kept the bike mostly stock.....I like it just the way it came from the factory, and that's what matters to me.
I feel the same way and, like you, I'll keep the accessories to a minimum. The last thing I want to do is alter the look of the bike that already looks like a work of art to me. That is not a knock on anyone who makes numerous alterations to their bike. I imagine they're just taking steps to make it their own. It just happens that my bike was already 'my own' in its stock form.

BCinCC (01-25-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 10:19 AM
FXLRSCCT
6th Gear

I went with the FXLRS. This was a complete impulse buy for me and my first HD. I came from sport bikes and dirt bikes but haven't had a bike for the last three years. I went to a dealership just to look around and walked out with the bike. On the ride home I realized the riding position was pretty uncomfortable for me. I added 10" risers/ stock bars, step up seat, and longer rear shock. Bike feels great now and I have no regrets.

Old 01-27-2021 | 12:45 PM
BuddyB
Advanced

Test rode my 2 favorites. Sport Glide and Low Rider S. Was leaning towards the Low Rider because of the looks. I'm 5'11' so the difference between mids and front controls were apparent. Took the Low Rider out first and the mids just felt awkward. Like I was sitting on the toilet and shifting felt cramped. Then I took the SportGlide out and it just felt more comfortable. Although the controls didn't seem as far forward as a 15' Sportster 48 I had in the past, they were a better fit. So riding position, the Sport Glide won out. Then there's the cruise control, detachable bags (only ride with those on long trips), detachable fairing (although I normally ride with it on) and the adjustable shock on the outside of the bike that put it over the top.

The following 2 users liked this post by BuddyB:
Cage-Free (01-28-2021), Ivabign (02-03-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 02:06 PM
slw210
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

Twisted Cherry and the 5 Gallon tank were the big things for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by slw210:
BCinCC (01-27-2021), Cage-Free (01-28-2021), rauchman (02-01-2021)

Quick Reply: How did you decide on your model of M8 Softail?