2018+ Softail Models Breakout

How did you decide on your model of M8 Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021 | 10:57 PM
Agoober
Banned

Price point for me , I traded the R King on it.
Would buy this model again (FXBB) in a heart beat.

Old 01-21-2021 | 10:59 PM
Cage Free
Tourer

^^^These were the easiest to locate, lol. For me it made for a much more comfortable ride. I went with HD's fat apes. Deal is they only make them in 12 and 16. At 5'10" 16 was too high and 12 was too low so I opted for the 4" fat ape risers.
Also, like Hunt mentioned a big selling point for me were rims and the remote preload adjuster.

I've also added an Ed Richie Traveler sissy bar and have a little tacticool bag I strap to it. Almost never use the bags and haven't used the fairing in nearly two years.

Last edited by Cage Free; 01-21-2021 at 11:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Cage Free:
Cage-Free (01-21-2021), jtodd (01-22-2021), rauchman (02-01-2021), user 270303 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-21-2021 | 11:32 PM
PataGrande
Intermediate

I was really looking for a Dyna FXDB but couldn't find a used with with low miles at a decent price. Went into the dealer and saw the price on the 2020 FXST and took it home. Its real quick and fun as hell to ride. Can't wait to pay it off then start customizing it.

Old 01-22-2021 | 07:41 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Default Bought My New Softail in 2019--Took 6-months

I bought a new Softail about 18 months ago after visiting the dealership multiple time and multiple test rides. Here are a few of the lessons I learned in the process.
1. Be realistic about your fitment and usage requirements and be patient.
2. Don't fall in love with a "look". The bikes that really spoke to me were terrible fits for me.
3. Talk to other owners who are about your size and use a bike like you plan to use your new bike. Salesmen push iron out the door; owners will share their actual experience.
4. I sat on the various bikes in the showroom for extended periods to see which felt the most comfortable and then separated the comfort feelings that didn't feel right into two groups--those that could be easily changed to accommodate my fitment needs and those that couldn't. Narrowed the choice down to two bikes and test rode them, including in the dealer's Rider's Academy course layout to see how each bike handled for me in low-speed maneuvers and braking situations.
5. No rider is "average"; so, set a realistic budget for changes you will want to make to the bike to make it "just right" for you. I started with a 4" pull back riser to get my reach to the handlebars in the comfort zone, a new seat, and a Stage 1 conversion. I have subsequently replaced the OE brake pads and installed an upgraded suspension system in the front fork.

In the end, the only opinion that matters is your opinion.

Last edited by Las Vegas Jim; 01-22-2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: word error
The following users liked this post:
Cage-Free (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 07:43 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Default Bought My New Softail in 2019--Took 6-months

I bought a new Softail about 18 months ago after visiting the dealership multiple time and multiple test rides. Here are a few of the lessons I learned in the process.
1. Be realistic about your fitment and usage requirements and be patient.
2. Don't fall in love with a "look". The bikes that really spoke to me were a terrible fits for me.
3. Talk to other owners who are about your size and use a bike like you plan to use your new bike. Salesmen push iron out the door; owners will share their actual experience.
4. I sat on the various bikes in the showroom for extended periods to see which felt the most comfortable and then separated the comfort feelings that didn't feel right into two groups--those that could be easily changed to accommodate my fitment needs and those that couldn't. Narrowed the choice down to two bikes and test rode them, including in the dealer's Rider's Academy course layout to see how each bike handled for me in low-speed maneuvers and braking situations.
5. No rider is "average"; so, set a realistic budget for changes you will want to make to the bike to make it "just right" for you. I started with a 4" pull back riser to get my reach to the handlebars in the comfort zone, a new seat, and a Stage 1 conversion. I have subsequently replaced the OE brake pads and installed an upgraded suspension system in the front fork.

In the end, the only opinion that matters is your opinion.

sgtjosh (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 07:58 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Honestly there is no wrong choice - To me the best HD ever made was the Heritage, Im on my 4th, a 19 114. I had a Fatboy 114 for 16 months, gorgeous bike. I had the opportunity to get out of it and I did - just wasnt me. Its funny, I love the Standard - I would have a whole lotta fun makin it mine. I also loved the now discontinued low rider 107.

Decisions, decisions..

Cage-Free (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 08:12 AM
jfl330
Road Captain

Bought an 18 Fatboy 114 after sitting on one in the dealership. Was enamored with the big front and back tire along with the 5 gallon tank. After 4000 miles, decided I did not like the handling with the big tires and went and rode a Sport Glide. I hadn't made it out of the dealers parking lot when I knew this was the bike. The 107 made little difference to me versus the 114. The handling,saddle bags, 5 gallon tank made it a no brainer. Plus, they gave me an insane amount for my trade. Couldn't be happier.

The following 3 users liked this post by jfl330:
Cage-Free (01-22-2021), HuntWhenever (01-22-2021), rc51owner (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 11:44 AM
Cage-Free
|
Advanced

Wow, a lot of great input ya'll, I really appreciate it!

I'm thinking, I have a well setup touring bike already, so my softail needs to be nimble and fun, but also be functional and comfortable for my 6ft frame.

At the moment, I already have a softail, but it's a Victory Hammer, which is a LOT like the fatboy, in that it's got all the same charm in terms of styling, but is also a bit bulky and heavy in steering. As some of you noted, if I base it on looks, I'm very drawn to the fatboy, but, if I want light/nimble/fun, I probably need to test ride a low rider, Street Bob, and maybe even a Heritage and a Slim. I really like the look of the Slim in black, but wonder how nimble and light feeling it really is compared to the others. I definitely appreciate you former fatboy owners chiming in on your experience in trading for a different softail.

My one concern about a low rider or Street Bob.is on a longer ride I will feel cramped.

And maybe it really is the Sportglide that is the best combination of everything I love about my Hammer and yet it's probably more nimble and functional than the Hammer is. I like its looks as well, even including the front wheel, which many hate.

I probably have some of this wrong, but that's what this thread is about.

I guess in the end I'm after a bike that I am tempted to just jump on to ride that handles easy and is comfortable enough for a decent day ride.

Thank you all again and please feel free to keep sharing your experiences. This has been fascinating to read for sure. Appreciate it!

Last edited by Cage-Free; 01-22-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2021 | 12:07 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jfl330
Bought an 18 Fatboy 114 after sitting on one in the dealership. Was enamored with the big front and back tire along with the 5 gallon tank. After 4000 miles, decided I did not like the handling with the big tires.
My story to a Tee! I did like the Sport GLide it was my second choice but I have over 150k miles on a Heritage... Its just 'my bike'.. Its funny, the 107 vs 114 wasnt a big deal, you're right. I LOVED the Deluxe BUT after adding bags and a shield along with a seat, I was more than the HST114. It didnt make sence....

Old 01-22-2021 | 12:09 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cage-Free
Wow, a lot of great input ya'll, I really appreciate it!

I'm thinking, I have a well setup touring bike already, so my softail needs to be nimble and fun, but also be functional and comfortable for my 6ft frame.

At the moment, I already have a softail, but it's a Victory Hammer, which is a LOT like the fatboy, in that it's got all the same charm in terms of styling, but is also a bit bulky and heavy in steering. As some of you noted, if I base it on looks, I'm very drawn to the fatboy, but, if I want light/nimble/fun, I probably need to test ride a low rider, Street Bob, and maybe even a Heritage and a Slim. I really like the look of the Slim in black, but wonder how nimble and light feeling it really is compared to the others. I definitely appreciate you former fatboy owners chiming in on your experience in trading for a different softail.

My one concern about a low rider or Street Bob.is on a longer ride I will feel cramped.

And maybe it really is the Sportglide that is the best combination of everything I love about my Hammer and yet it's probably more nimble and functional than the Hammer is. I like its looks as well, even including the front wheel, which many hate.

I probably have some of this wrong, but that's what this thread is about.

I guess in the end I'm after a bike that I am tempted to just jump on to ride that handles easy and is comfortable enough for a decent day ride.

Thank you all again and please feel free to keep sharing your experiences. This has been fascinating to read for sure. Appreciate it!

Being you have a bagger - Sell the Vic or throw it off a cliff, lol.... If I was in your position - NO DOUBT I'd be on a LRS or a Standard with my parts source on speed dial....

Quick Reply: How did you decide on your model of M8 Softail?