2018+ Softail Models Breakout

H-D Accessory Mid-Controls for Fat Bob and Sport Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 12:35 PM
2waam
Advanced
Received 140 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by HDean
Put the mid controls on my Sport glide. The rear brake lever is half the length of stock, so now with less leverage rear brake is terrible!!
Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:38 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,368 Likes on 971 Posts

I clicked on the first link..I am more curious about the 119 stage 3 cam cover. a 119? am I missing something???

Old 02-16-2021, 12:45 PM
2waam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ralibur
Recently I installed the mid controls from a low rider on my Sportglide. Along with that I turned out the clevis at the master cylinder 3 full turns and installed the DLX adjustable brake bone. With that I have good leverage and the feel is the same as the forward controls. Still not completely satisfied with the rear brake stopping power I installed a 4 piston Brembo radial caliper with a Kraus radial mount caliper bracket. Just ordered to length SS braised lines in black from Spiegler to complete the install. I expect a significant improvement, we'll see. If you notice I change the Harley Mantis wheels to Performance Machine wheels.
Nice caliper. Few questions, if you don’t mind.

What size is that rear rotor?

Assuming your hardware kit is Kraus as well. Which length did you go with?

Same questions for your front-brake set-up.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:05 PM
2waam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ralibur
Recently I installed the mid controls from a low rider on my Sportglide. Along with that I turned out the clevis at the master cylinder 3 full turns and installed the DLX adjustable brake bone. With that I have good leverage and the feel is the same as the forward controls. Still not completely satisfied with the rear brake stopping power I installed a 4 piston Brembo radial caliper with a Kraus radial mount caliper bracket. Just ordered to length SS braised lines in black from Spiegler to complete the install. I expect a significant improvement, we'll see. If you notice I change the Harley Mantis wheels to Performance Machine wheels.
Nice caliper. Few questions, if you don’t mind.

What size is that rear rotor?

Assuming your hardware kit is Kraus as well. Which length did you go with?

Same questions for your front-brake set-up.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:09 AM
TomBe
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Today I ordered these new mid controls for my Fat Bob. I wonder how much lean angles will increase.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Tweezer
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2waam
Thanks for sharing your personal experience.
I have the same issue. With mid accessory control I have very little rear break on Sport Glide.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:55 PM
dcdbraun
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomBe
Today I ordered these new mid controls for my Fat Bob. I wonder how much lean angles will increase.
how did the install go, amd are you happy with them? Anything worth reporting?

Old 07-25-2021, 04:24 AM
TomBe
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdbraun
how did the install go, amd are you happy with them? Anything worth reporting?
Installation was pretty easy. However, from the manual there was ambiguity on the brake side (https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....#d2016662e85):
I do not how to determine the correct position of the brake pedal rod (4)?
I resolved that this way: one side of the pedal rod is shorter and that will connect to the front of the crank (7).

Before installing new mid controls I already followed the steps in the thread "adjusting rear brake pedal height" https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...al-height.html so my brake pedal height was good.

After installing the new mid controls, the brake pedal height feels neutral, but I can imagine a longer "brake pedal assembly (3)" to have a better satisfactional feel when smashing the rear brake before drift :-D
However, the height of the "brake pedal assembly (3)" is at the maximum level I reached the top limit. If you want to rise the height further, it would be necessary to make a custom design of the "brake pedal assembly (3)". Adjustable brake linkage like this https://www.kruesioriginals.com/coll...-brake-linkage will not help.

Another note is that the connections feel and are really loose. When installing "brake pedal assembly (3) to footpeg mounting bracket (1) with washer (16) and retaining ring clip (17)" I feel like I would like to use more of the "washers (16)" to feel more robust. Same story on the shift side.

Final thoughts. It definitely improved the maneuverability of the bike! Increased confidence in curves (I still had chicken strips with the forwards)! I noticed a more lean angle. Your boots are partially covered from the hot exhaust by the design of "pedal assemblies".

Old 08-01-2021, 02:50 PM
S0L01984
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder why these won't work with the heritage classic.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:50 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,846 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by S0L01984
I wonder why these won't work with the heritage classic.
They would probably foul on the Heritage's pipes I'd guess.

Quick Reply: H-D Accessory Mid-Controls for Fat Bob and Sport Glide