2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Advice in making an exhaust on fatboy 114

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 04:43 AM
Fatboy2019
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice in making an exhaust on fatboy 114

Hi guys, im new to the harley world and i need an advice before i pay the person for the job to be done.

i have a fatboy 114 2019 model and im thinking of making an exhaust ( shortshots vince and hines), the powervision by dynojet and also the mechanic told me that i need to change the air filter

I told him that i like the factory air filter and i wish to keep the same one and i thought that i can do the exhaust and powervision and leaving the airfilter the same but he told me that i needed another filter a high flow one which is going to cost me 170 euro and also a back plate to fit in for 60 euro and then i can keep the front cover only.

my question is, is this true or i can leave the factory one or is there any other less priced filter.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:26 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,897 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy2019
Hi guys, im new to the harley world and i need an advice before i pay the person for the job to be done.

i have a fatboy 114 2019 model and im thinking of making an exhaust ( shortshots vince and hines), the powervision by dynojet and also the mechanic told me that i need to change the air filter

I told him that i like the factory air filter and i wish to keep the same one and i thought that i can do the exhaust and powervision and leaving the airfilter the same but he told me that i needed another filter a high flow one which is going to cost me 170 euro and also a back plate to fit in for 60 euro and then i can keep the front cover only.

my question is, is this true or i can leave the factory one or is there any other less priced filter.
You don't necessarily have to change the stock one. Nor do you have to abandon the stock filter design either.
There is a KN filter element for the Stock 114 oval for 60$ from HD directly, Part Number: 29400293.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ent/p/29400293

This airbox and filter element will support engines up to 120~125HP Range. So you have no need to replace the airbox setup at all.

I am not sure how to acquire this in Europe but this is the Part you'd be looking for and for stage 1 you may not even need to buy it at all.

You should be made aware however, that Short Shots, mini-grenades, Sweepers, Big Radius and other Shorty pipe 2 into 2 exhausts on the M8 perform poorly and will require some sort of reversion control to gain low end power back. The M8 does not like exhausts with poor reversion control and is more sensitive than previous generation HD engines.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:34 AM
Fatboy2019
6th Gear

Thanks alot of for the reply it is really usefull, i will speak to him and tell him i ll keep the orignal one filter and change nothing nor the filter nor the backplate...and to be honest i called the harley davidson agent now and he told me there is no need to change the airfilter box or the airfilter as the 114 comes out with a performance one.
can i ask you what you suggest for exhaust as i see alot of people making the shortshot and i love their look but if your telling me that, i can go for the longshots instead.
last thing what problems can they cause to the bike and how it usually repaired then ..is it DIY job.or not

Old 09-17-2020, 05:43 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Thanks alot of for the reply it is really usefull, i will speak to him and tell him i ll keep the orignal one filter and change nothing nor the filter nor the backplate...and to be honest i called the harley davidson agent now and he told me there is no need to change the airfilter box or the airfilter as the 114 comes out with a performance one.
can i ask you what you suggest for exhaust as i see alot of people making the shortshot and i love their look but if your telling me that, i can go for the longshots instead.
last thing what problems can they cause to the bike and how it usually repaired then ..is it DIY job.or not
I can't really comment on exhaust because I've not really looked into it as much and my personal research has been looking at sound and style, over performance.
Later on there will be people who have more knowledge than me who will respond with more educated and knowledge based information.

If you are looking for a shorty pipe setup that looks good, but has some built in performance elements Cobra USA has 2 sets of shorty exhaust with a crossover port that allows them to achieve better exhaust scavenging. The Cobra 909 Shorts, and Cobra Speedster Slashdown. Both come in Black and Chrome variants.
Cobra SKU: 909 Shorts 6715(Chrome), 6715B(Black), and Speedster Slashdown 6863(Chrome), 6863B(Black)
Other than those 2 I don't have any meaningful suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
Fatboy2019 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:47 AM
Fatboy2019
6th Gear

So your telling me they dont cause any problems like the shortshots as both of then are nearly the same

Old 09-17-2020, 05:57 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

So your telling me they dont cause any problems like the shortshots as both of then are nearly the same
Possibly. I don't have any concrete data on them. But the idea in theory is good.
Below is an image of the back side of a set of 909's, albeit a street bob version. At the front of two muffler sections there is a trapezoidal bridge tube piece(called a crossover port) that connects to the 2 mufflers together. This causes each side to scavenge the other cylinder's exhaust port to some degree. So in theory this exhaust will have better performance than any other 2 into 2 short exhaust.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 09-17-2020 at 06:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fatboy2019 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 06:23 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 283 Likes on 182 Posts

Freedom Performance Radical radius /sharp radius have produced the best early tq/power i've seen work on big builds also, 3 step header/power chamber

Old 09-19-2020, 07:00 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
Freedom Performance Radical radius /sharp radius have produced the best early tq/power i've seen work on big builds also, 3 step header/power chamber
That's quite interesting.
I'm curious to know more about what was built into that Lowrider S. 150HP naturally aspirated is pretty impressive.
I took at look at the rest of what Freedom Performance has for the Fat Boy and I gotta say these True Duals look nice.
I wonder how well they perform.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:34 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 283 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
That's quite interesting.
I'm curious to know more about what was built into that Lowrider S. 150HP naturally aspirated is pretty impressive.
I took at look at the rest of what Freedom Performance has for the Fat Boy and I gotta say these True Duals look nice.
I wonder how well they perform.

Yeah bit confusing their site, not a Tech info page, also that M8 Union short 2-1, claims 3 step header/2 step baffle at one point

Old 09-21-2020, 04:12 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
You don't necessarily have to change the stock one. Nor do you have to abandon the stock filter design either.
There is a KN filter element for the Stock 114 oval for 60$ from HD directly, Part Number: 29400293.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ent/p/29400293

This airbox and filter element will support engines up to 120~125HP Range. So you have no need to replace the airbox setup at all.

I am not sure how to acquire this in Europe but this is the Part you'd be looking for and for stage 1 you may not even need to buy it at all.

You should be made aware however, that Short Shots, mini-grenades, Sweepers, Big Radius and other Shorty pipe 2 into 2 exhausts on the M8 perform poorly and will require some sort of reversion control to gain low end power back. The M8 does not like exhausts with poor reversion control and is more sensitive than previous generation HD engines.
Are you sure that the K&N filter element 29400293 will fit the stock air filter box? According to the HD website this filter element 29400293 is for the Screamin Eagle upgrade filter box setup and not the stock air filter box.

Quick Reply: Advice in making an exhaust on fatboy 114